• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Walsh

I know it may take some time to get his rhythm back, but if Walsh is penciled in to 1B every day, and Moniak plays every day (which he needs to), and then Rendon comes back...

That leaves basically one spot in the lineup at 2B for Drury/Urshela/Rengifo. Ward with nowhere to play. I'd like to see Urshela in the lineup more. I suppose they could keep rotating the infield a lot, and say Rendon might play only 5 out of every 7 games or so to try to stay durable?

It's a good problem to have for sure, but I see some potentially valuable pieces of the offense riding pine too much here (mainly Urshela.)

If Walsh is still hitting say under .200 with 150 ABs against mostly RH pitching, does he lose his spot at 1B to either Urshela or Ward? How patient are we with Walsh when there are possibly a few better options on the bench?

1 minute ago, VladdyforHOF said:

I know it may take some time to get his rhythm back, but if Walsh is penciled in to 1B every day, and Moniak plays every day (which he needs to), and then Rendon comes back...

That leaves basically one spot in the lineup at 2B for Drury/Urshela/Rengifo. Ward with nowhere to play. I'd like to see Urshela in the lineup more. I suppose they could keep rotating the infield a lot, and say Rendon might play only 5 out of every 7 games or so to try to stay durable?

It's a good problem to have for sure, but I see some potentially valuable pieces of the offense riding pine too much here (mainly Urshela.)

If Walsh is still hitting say under .200 with 150 ABs against mostly RH pitching, does he lose his spot at 1B to either Urshela or Ward? How patient are we with Walsh when there are possibly a few better options on the bench?

Agreed.  It is a great problem to have.  We have plenty of back fill in case of injuries over the summer.

1 hour ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Urshela started the last 7 out of 8 games at 3B. With Rendon out, he’ll be the starter at 3B with a day or two off every week (which they think keeps him fresh).

Drury is the primary 2B, but I’d imagine he plays 1B and Rengifo plays 2B with Walsh on the bench vs. LHP.

Rengifo will fill in when an infielder needs a day off.

Walsh’s PT doesn’t effect Ward. Ward will probably platoon with Moniak and get starts when Trout/Renfroe get a day off.

1 hour ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Ward’s not an option at 1B.

As long as Rendon is out, Urshela is gonna be primarily at 3B.

I imagine they give Walsh a long leash vs. RHP.

Halos young players in O'Hoppe, Neto and Moniak added this year. I think Adell will also be here soon. Ohtani goes spot will open up. If halos not in race by deadline Renfroe could also be traded along with Urshela. Next 6 to 8 weeks will determine what halos could look like in 2024 and beyond. Cannot let Ohtani walk and get nothing.

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

My son thinks Adell is the DH replacement for Ohtani once he leaves, either by trade or as a  FA.

I could see DH being a rotating spot, with Adell getting plenty of opportunity there and in the outfield when Trout is DH. Good bet that Rendon spends significant time in that slot too. 

Now that Walsh has played a few games in a row they have to let him continue mostly everyday for a while. Regardless of outcome. Getting back in form is a process and he needs continuity to adjust again. Kind of like at the start of spring training. 

It's obvious that he's out of sync at the plate, but rotating him now won't let him progress as fast. However, the team comes first, so it could be dicey if he hurts them offensively after a few more weeks of non productivity. Then he may have to be platooned or accept a bench role. But at least his defense seems good so he contributes that way. 

It's different coming back from neurological issues than conventional injuries, so it's hard to predict when Walsh will feel totally confident and comfortable. 

3 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Now that Walsh has played a few games in a row they have to let him continue mostly everyday for a while. Regardless of outcome. Getting back in form is a process and he needs continuity to adjust again. Kind of like at the start of spring training. 

It's obvious that he's out of sync at the plate, but rotating him now won't let him progress as fast. However, the team comes first, so it could be dicey if he hurts them offensively after a few more weeks of non productivity. Then he may have to be platooned or accept a bench role. But at least his defense seems good so he contributes that way. 

It's different coming back from neurological issues than conventional injuries, so it's hard to predict when Walsh will feel totally confident and comfortable. 

Not sure how long it will be before his hitting comes around but no doubt about it defensively he’s already making a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, VladdyforHOF said:

I'm bumping this because tired of watching Walsh already and this team has been urgent this year on replacing players that aren't producing.

When Rendon is back the right move has to be Urshela to 1B everyday. Walsh on the bench.

He caught that foul pop...what do you need?

Jared Walsh's last 68 games going back to June of last season

68 games. That's basically half a season for today's ballplayers who can't seem to play much more than 140 anymore.

31 for 213 for a batting average of .146

9 doubles and only 2 home runs! for a slugging percentage of .216.

8 RBI's

So, that's the productions they've gotten out of him for basically a half a season's worth of games from their starting first baseman

2 home runs and 8 RBI's.

3 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

So, that's the productions they've gotten out of him for basically a half a season's worth of games from their starting first baseman

the tricky thing in evaluating those games is he was hurt and/or recovering in the majority of them.

I have no doubt that his injury impacted his performance. So to me, the question is if he can ever recover from a surgery that few MLB hitters get.