• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

I really don’t know what to expect with payroll. It’s probably unlikely the club is sold this winter. It probably closes mid-season next year. 

Arte still has a shot at a ring next year, his last real shot. He’s about to make an insane profit on his investment in the team. I don’t know that he would be against payroll going up given that he’s about to make big money, won’t have to worry about 2024+ obligations (nor would it seriously hurt interest in the team), and would effectively be his last chance at going out a winner. You’d have to think interest in the team could even go up if they’re contending or en route to the playoffs, though I expect the sale will be far enough along for that to not matter really.

I don’t expect or think he’ll go nuts or even go past what they had last year, but throwing down some money this winter, either on one-year commitments that will be a wash or a couple mid-range deals (he wouldn’t have to worry how they pan out after 2023) that won’t really deter interest are totally plausible, IMO. So they could perhaps bump it up this winter.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I really don’t know what to expect with payroll. It’s probably unlikely the club is sold this winter. It probably closes mid-season next year. 

Arte still has a shot at a ring next year, his last real shot. He’s about to make an insane profit on his investment in the team. I don’t know that he would be against payroll going up given that he’s about to make big money, won’t have to worry about 2024+ obligations (nor would it seriously hurt interest in the team), and would effectively be his last chance at going out a winner. You’d have to think interest in the team could even go up if they’re contending or en route to the playoffs, though I expect the sale will be far enough along for that to not matter really.

I don’t expect or think he’ll go nuts or even go past what they had last year, but throwing down some money this winter, either on one-year commitments that will be a wash or a couple mid-range deals (he wouldn’t have to worry how they pan out after 2023) that won’t really deter interest are totally plausible, IMO. So they could perhaps bump it up this winter.

Unless he drastically changed his mind I don't understand why he agreed to trade Iglesias as a salary dump then.  

41 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Unless he drastically changed his mind I don't understand why he agreed to trade Iglesias as a salary dump then.  

Could just be they knew it was going to be a bad contract in the long-haul and they found a way out. Could be Atlanta pitched the idea of it and there wasn’t really a good reason not to do it given the Angels weren’t contending and they knew it’d free up some money this winter to go after multiple other needs instead. And could be like you said - they didn’t know what they wanted to do yet. Easier to take the opp to clear the money then, and now have changed their minds, perhaps because timeline means they have one more shot at a ring, or have learned offers are strong enough now that, either way, the Iglesias deal wasn’t going to affect things one way or another had they kept him or not.

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Could just be they knew it was going to be a bad contract in the long-haul and they found a way out. Could be Atlanta pitched the idea of it and there wasn’t really a good reason not to do it given the Angels weren’t contending and they knew it’d free up some money this winter to go after multiple other needs instead. And could be like you said - they didn’t know what they wanted to do yet. Easier to take the opp to clear the money then, and now have changed their minds, perhaps because timeline means they have one more shot at a ring, or have learned offers are strong enough now that, either way, the Iglesias deal wasn’t going to affect things one way or another had they kept him or not.

Let's not forget we had a much cheaper closer in Herget

57 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Herget was more effective as a closer than Iglesias as an Angel last year. Yes, Iglesias turned it around in Atlanta, but as an Angel, he was not very good. He blew a bunch of saves and lost a number of games when he came in to pitch in tie games and gave up the winning run. My biggest problem with the trade is that they got crap in return.

23 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

Herget was more effective as a closer than Iglesias as an Angel last year. Yes, Iglesias turned it around in Atlanta, but as an Angel, he was not very good. He blew a bunch of saves and lost a number of games when he came in to pitch in tie games and gave up the winning run. My biggest problem with the trade is that they got crap in return.

The reason for the return has a lot to do with the rest of your post. 

43 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

Money to get Anderson

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

When Lewis first came up, I thought he was going to be a star, but injuries slowed him. 

Same.

But he'll never be healthy enough to play the outfield again.

He also burnt a lot of bridges in Seattle this last time up when he bitched about being demoted to Triple A, while barely being able to play every other day, all the while hitting .143 on a looking to make the playoffs team. 

9 minutes ago, Ender said:

Same.

But he'll never be healthy enough to play the outfield again.

He also burnt a lot of bridges in Seattle this last time up when he bitched about being demoted to Triple A, while barely being able to play every other day, all the while hitting .143 on a looking to make the playoffs team. 

I think he will play OF again. Arizona did not get him to DH.

28 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Not really news, but...for what it's worth.

We already know they want to bring in guys to play left field and shortstop, the real question is how much Minasian has to spend at those spots. Previous payrolls suggest....not a lot. But it's the off-season, so hope springs eternal.

My real question is "of what caliber?"

We talking Duffy/Wade type players or??????

So If Arte opens up the books, brings in a top level SS, maybe a reliever, pulls a trade for another starter, etc… way we bring in Trea or Correa; does the increased payroll increase the sale value of the team? Say he extends Ohtani, too? Sort of like an investment of locking up players now to add millions onto his sale of the team? if this has been discussed already I’ll be honest I ain’t looking through here for my answer lol. 

Correa seems like the type of player Arte would be in on. I, however, would prefer Trea. Having a Trea-Trout-Ohtani as your 1-2-3 turns me on. 

8 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

So If Arte opens up the books, brings in a top level SS, maybe a reliever, pulls a trade for another starter, etc… way we bring in Trea or Correa; does the increased payroll increase the sale value of the team? Say he extends Ohtani, too? Sort of like an investment of locking up players now to add millions onto his sale of the team? if this has been discussed already I’ll be honest I ain’t looking through here for my answer lol. 

Correa seems like the type of player Arte would be in on. I, however, would prefer Trea. Having a Trea-Trout-Ohtani as your 1-2-3 turns me on. 

I'd prefer Swanson, but Correa is an incredible SS.

We're all guessing, but I'd assume adding players like that and extending Ohtani would at least slightly raise the value. Those are types of moves I'd expect a new owner to make.   At the current price evaluation I don't envision someone buying the Angels with being content to be a .500 team and not raising payroll. 

38 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I thought I read somewhere that we were in on Correa last year...

We need an offensive minded SS, if he can play defense, fine.  If Arte wants to open the wallet for Correa, OK.  

As a fan, I would prefer Turner, because of his on-base skills, or Swanson, who has a nice all around game.  

Turner would look nice at the top of the order, Swanson would fit very well at 6 or even 7, depending on how Rendon and Walsh look when they return. 

1 hour ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

In all likelihood, it would decrease the sale price, not increase it, since a major long-term contract is an ongoing financial liability.