• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

17 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I've been saying this but the long term "liability" of a contract is while they'll stay away from the big expensive free agents but not a burden to sign Ohtani, who is a top two or three player in the game, and it would not affect shorter term payroll investments. The new owner would hopefully prioritize winning, and someone like Theo Epstein or Dombrowski will hopefully be aboard to run the show. 

No one who buys the team this season for 2.5-3 billion is going to care about payroll being reduced or increased by 40 M. Arte has run a profitable team and he bought the team for less than 200 million.

The long term liability vs. asset vs. profit is not really a big deal in a sports team sale. Any buyer is not gonna be concerned with a new Long term contract unless it's a crazy overpay. Or a dumb move.

So no Aaron Judge or long term deal for DeGrom. Turner etc, not likely but not out of the question. Ninmo, Senga, etc, more likely.

If I'm the new owner, I would like to make my own decisions on how to spend and construct the team.  The fewer legacy deals in place the better.  I'd want as much of a clean slate as possible or at least not be handed deals that are impossible to get out of.   And it depends on my intentions for future payroll etc.  Every potential ownership group is gonna have their own ideas and no signing is really going to make or break whether someone is going to bid on the team.  I am wholly doubtful that they'll sign anyone for 4 years or more but I didn't even think they'd go to 3.  

I'm totally fine with a couple one or two year deals and pushing payroll a bit this year or next.  It's really all just conjecture anyway until someone else has full control.  

5 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

Off topic, but how would the group feel about AJ Pollock as a low-risk, high reward, OF?

Had a good thing going with the boys in blue, not very good while in Chitown.  With the lack of shifts, he may bounce back, and his big money days are certainly gone.  Maybe 1 yr, 2 mil?

I was just coming here to post something similar. No idea what he would cost but I’d kick the tires on him.

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

He declined a $13M player option in favor of a $5M buyout, so he’s getting more than 2 million.

But I do think he’s one of the better outfielders available in free agency and would have interest in him.

His buyout doesn't determine his value to another club, especially since he's a free agent.  If the Sox had tendered him, he'd have made the 13M.  Now, he won't even get half, and then likely on a one year deal, given his age and injury history.

1 minute ago, AngelStew43 said:

His buyout doesn't determine his value to another club, especially since he's a free agent.  If the Sox had tendered him, he'd have made the 13M.  Now, he won't even get half, and then likely on a one year deal, given his age and injury history.

It was a player option, not a club option.

The fact that he declined a $13M player option in favor of a $5M buyout indicates he thinks he can make close to the $8M difference.

Who are the serious suitors for Correa? He's getting at the age where the only thing worth any value to him is perhaps an opt-out after 2 years? 

Who is willing to pay 8 years $260 million for him? If the Angels are, I'd say

Angels
Dodgers
Phillies (prefer Turner)
Yankees
Red Sox
Cubs

I can't think of another team in a position to spend big and needing a SS

5 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Who are the serious suitors for Correa? He's getting at the age where the only thing worth any value to him is perhaps an opt-out after 2 years? 

I’d say Boston, Chicago Cubs Los Angeles, Minnesota, and San Francisco.

Maybe Baltimore, Detroit, New York Yankees, and Seattle.

45 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Angels
Dodgers
Phillies (prefer Turner)
Yankees
Red Sox
Cubs

Giants

7 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Angels
Dodgers
Phillies (prefer Turner)
Yankees
Red Sox
Cubs

There are enough suitors, I think, where I would not expect to see any of the big 4 FAs settle for an inferior deal.  Entering last offseason, did anyone expect the Rangers to sign BOTH Seager and Semien?  Sometimes, teams emerge out of nowhere.

Again, just given that  1) We need to save the resources to sign Ohtani to what will likely be a 350+ million contract and 2) We just drafted Neto, who is already looking pretty good in AA, I just don't see a big deal coming for a SS.  And honestly, given how all of our big deals have gone down for free agent veterans, I really hope we don't sign any of the top 4 SS options, because it will assuredly come back to bite us.  Imagine how much more flexibility we'd have now if we didn't sign Rendon.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

There are enough suitors, I think, where I would not expect to see any of the big 4 FAs settle for an inferior deal.  Entering last offseason, did anyone expect the Rangers to sign BOTH Seager and Semien?  Sometimes, teams emerge out of nowhere.

Again, just given that  1) We need to save the resources to sign Ohtani to what will likely be a 350+ million contract and 2) We just drafted Neto, who is already looking pretty good in AA, I just don't see a big deal coming for a SS.  And honestly, given how all of our big deals have gone down for free agent veterans, I really hope we don't sign any of the top 4 SS options, because it will assuredly come back to bite us.  Imagine how much more flexibility we'd have now if we didn't sign Rendon.

I agree halos need a LF and perfect fit would be Andrew Benintendi. High average and OBP with a great glove. He bats from left side to balance out lineup and has cut down his K rate. 4 years for 60 mill. add few bullen pieces and another starter. I would resign Lorenzen on a 1 year deal.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

For those of you who are on Twitter more than I is this guy full of shit & trolling or legit?

If they are seriously considering Swanson then i'd imagine they be "seriously considering" Turner or Correa too.

Either way, if it's true then Angels could flip a good trade for SP help or OF help.

27 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If they are seriously considering Swanson then i'd imagine they be "seriously considering" Turner or Correa too.

Either way, if it's true then Angels could flip a good trade for SP help or OF help.

Swanson would be a lot cheaper than Turner or Correa….so, not necessarily….

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Same dude, fwiw:

Also:

I wouldn't make much of it personally. Maybe he knows somebody in the org, or maybe he's just guessing. Either way, the Rendon thing seems obvious, and the other two are extremely unlikely until they actually happen. 

If so he knows somebody in Toronto, somebody in Texas and somebody in Seattle.