• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Same dude, fwiw:

Also:

I wouldn't make much of it personally. Maybe he knows somebody in the org, or maybe he's just guessing. Either way, the Rendon thing seems obvious, and the other two are extremely unlikely until they actually happen. 

Yeah.  I mean we have seen so many silly Twitter accounts doing the same thing on Twitter for years.  "Angels are interested in _____" via some random Twitter person.

Some guy basically was saying Correa was about to sign with us last offseason, and that blew up, and we saw how that turned out.  I would not put any stock into this at all.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

One thing is for sure, RP is our biggest need right now if you're going by WAR. 

Fortunately, LF and RP are positions that can be fairly easily/quickly upgraded.  SS is considerably harder, but at least we have what appears to be a good prospect not too far away.

Perry's own connections are Atlanta and Toronto. So Dansby wouldn't surprise me, thigh I think it's a terrible idea. Same with Correa and his family being Angel fans and Urshela being here now. 

We were so cautious about extending Simmons because shortstops after age 30 tend to go downhill so quickly? Well what do you think's going to happen with Swanson and Correa?

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Perry's own connections are Atlanta and Toronto. So Dansby wouldn't surprise me, thigh I think it's a terrible idea. Same with Correa and his family being Angel fans and Urshela being here now. 

We were so cautious about extending Simmons because shortstops after age 30 tend to go downhill so quickly? Well what do you think's going to happen with Swanson and Correa?

That's my concern with Swanson in particular. His upside is built around his defense. His hitting has only been better than league average in 2 of the last 6 seasons. If we are going to go big at short, it needs to be for a legit hitter, and Swanson isn't. I'm just skeptical the value will be remotely close to what he's going to get paid. 

31 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

That's my concern with Swanson in particular. His upside is built around his defense. His hitting has only been better than league average in 2 of the last 6 seasons. If we are going to go big at short, it needs to be for a legit hitter, and Swanson isn't. I'm just skeptical the value will be remotely close to what he's going to get paid. 

For that matter, not many free agents signed to large contracts are able to perform at a level commensurate with their salary. I'd much rather go with Rengifo, who is only an average-ish defender at SS but can hit and can run. 

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

For those of you who are on Twitter more than I is this guy full of shit & trolling or legit?

From what I’ve seen from that account, they aggregates reports from other reporters and spin it as their reports.

I don’t buy those accounts. It’s too easy to make logical connections, aggregate reports from other reporters, and tweet it as if you have sources.

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

For that matter, not many free agents signed to large contracts are able to perform at a level commensurate with their salary. I'd much rather go with Rengifo, who is only an average-ish defender at SS but can hit and can run. 

My preference would be to go with Rengifo everyday at 2B if he keeps developing his bat. Fletcher would ideally be my super utility bench guy. Under normal circumstances, I'd be hesitant to go for a Correa or Turner, but I don't think we can punt without trading Trout. To me, there are two options: Re-sign Ohtani and spend on shoring up our holes at other positions (I think our problem in years past is we only signed a big name without sufficiently filling other areas of need). Or trade Trout, Ohtani, and anyone else of value now. If they're not going to do the second option, I'd just as soon sign a Correa or Turner because the Angels won't be good in five years regardless. The frustration is when we go half measures into scenario one, we end up wasting chances to compete by wallowing in mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I'm not sure Perry is terribly concerned with that at this point. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

If they could both play elite level for 3 more years and then decline slowly that would easily warrant a 6 year deal IMO. 

I know I'll get beat up for this take, but I'd prefer we make sure LF is taken care of with a 3 war, offensive threat as the priority.  Benintendi is an example.  I realize we "want" a complete player at SS, but given the ownership situation, I'm don't think the timing allows for it (i.e. long-term deal).  And I'm actually fine with that.  Defense at SS matters.  If our offense can stay healthy (i.e. Rendon, Trout, Ward, Walsh), adding a good bat in LF and Sassi pulling his head out will do wonders.  To the point of a D-first SS (i.e. a poormans Simmons....Velazquez/Fletcher) won't hurt quite as much.  If those primary players don't stay healthy, it's not likely we compete anyway.

I just hope like hell we don't settle for mediocre/"hope" type players at both SS and LF.  Go heavy in LF and add a cost-effective piece to compete at SS.  We obviously need to add a piece or two the BP, have limited resources at the moment, and Perry needs to win.  Organizationally, I think this makes the most sense as other posters have noted the current Big 4 of the FA market SS's will likely decline with age relative to the length of contract they will receive.

14 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I know I'll get beat up for this take, but I'd prefer we make sure LF is taken care of with a 3 war, offensive threat as the priority.  Benintendi is an example.  I realize we "want" a complete player at SS, but given the ownership situation, I'm don't think the timing allows for it (i.e. long-term deal).  And I'm actually fine with that.  Defense at SS matters.  If our offense can stay healthy (i.e. Rendon, Trout, Ward, Walsh), adding a good bat in LF and Sassi pulling his head out will do wonders.  To the point of a D-first SS (i.e. a poormans Simmons....Velazquez/Fletcher) won't hurt quite as much.  If those primary players don't stay healthy, it's not likely we compete anyway.

I just hope like hell we don't settle for mediocre/"hope" type players at both SS and LF.  Go heavy in LF and add a cost-effective piece to compete at SS.  We obviously need to add a piece or two the BP, have limited resources at the moment, and Perry needs to win.  Organizationally, I think this makes the most sense as other posters have noted the current Big 4 of the FA market SS's will likely decline with age relative to the length of contract they will receive.

I think when you go through a few other threads on this board you'll realize that a good chunk of the board agrees with exactly what you've said.  And I wholeheartedly agree.  

1 hour ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I know I'll get beat up for this take, but I'd prefer we make sure LF is taken care of with a 3 war, offensive threat as the priority.  

I just hope like hell we don't settle for mediocre/"hope" type players at both SS and LF.  Go heavy in LF and add a cost-effective piece to compete at SS. 

I’m right there with you on both points.

There are so many decent LF options available that it’d be malpractice for the organization not to upgrade LF.

SS is tricker because the middle tier is pretty much non-existent. It’s either the top 4 or fringe shortstops.

1 hour ago, Wisconsin27 said:

We were winning last year with Velazquez at SS. When the offense fell of the cliff we no longer had the luxury of being able to have a defensive only SS. Adding a strong OF bat would go a long way.  We can't have Stassi and Velazquez batting under .200 though. 

5 hours ago, Wisconsin27 said:

Thanks, Doc.  I read this board about 3-5 times daily.  It's a bit of an addiction, admittedly.  I've just learned I can't predict how folks will react to my post.  Consider me a bit gun-shy.  

Just let it fly. 

I can appreciate any post where a person explains their thought process, regardless of whether or not I agree disagree.  

4 hours ago, Trendon said:

I’m right there with you on both points.

There are so many decent LF options available that it’d be malpractice for the organization not to upgrade LF.

SS is tricker because the middle tier is pretty much non-existent. It’s either the top 4 or fringe shortstops.

SS would also require a longer more expensive commitment at a position where decline hits harder. LF is currently a quagmire with zero in house options without any indication, much less a history of showing they can handle the position full time.

LF is a legit shit show.

IF, Rendon can stay healthy and play 130 games and Walsh can have a bounce back season offense will be improved. LF addition will be huge help. Free agent Benintendi would be great fit. Depends how much halos would want to spend on him and if he wants to play with Angels. IF Angels can have upgrade in LF maybe putting Velazquez at SS is best choice. Velazquez is an elite glove and with shifts gone maybe he would be best choice.

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

IF, Rendon can stay healthy and play 130 games and Walsh can have a bounce back season offense will be improved. LF addition will be huge help. Free agent Benintendi would be great fit. Depends how much halos would want to spend on him and if he wants to play with Angels. IF Angels can have upgrade in LF maybe putting Velazquez at SS is best choice. Velazquez is an elite glove and with shifts gone maybe he would be best choice.

Have to wonder how knee surgery will affect Squid's mobility at ss.