• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On 1/6/2020 at 6:28 PM, JAHV76 said:

She was in From Dusk till Dawn

Rewatched the first minutes recently when I noticed it was on my live Showtime feed on the streaming app.  Still my favorite Rodriguez movie and Clooney’s most badass role.

”Yes, Seth!  I understand!”

First time trying out those new Dolby theater screens at the AMC Ontario.  Worth seeing in that or IMAX.  Last movie I saw in IMAX was an epic British war movie, oddly enough, Dunkirk.  Both great movies.

Didnt even recognize Colin Firth at the beginning with white hair.

11 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

Didn't really have much interest in 1917 initially, but despite still hearing mixed reviews in general, the positive ones have me curious.

It's worth seeing just for the cinematography. The story is pretty good, but not nearly as emotionally affecting as other epic war movies.

Edited by Taylor

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I'm a little torn on this one. It's easily one of the better Tarantino movies right up to the end where it turns into almost a parody of his later films. When I think of the endings from his early work I recall the tension of the diner scene in Pulp Fiction, or the mexican standoff in Reservoir Dogs, and the emotionally affecting conclusion to Jackie Brown. The tone of this film is similar to those but the ending could not be any different. It's devoid of logic, tonally out of place and I'm struggling to interpret any larger meaning beyond the basic plot.

39 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I'm a little torn on this one. It's easily one of the better Tarantino movies right up to the end where it turns into almost a parody of his later films. When I think of the endings from his early work I recall the tension of the diner scene in Pulp Fiction, or the mexican standoff in Reservoir Dogs, and the emotionally affecting conclusion to Jackie Brown. The tone this film is similar to those but the ending could not be any different. It's devoid of logic, tonally out of place and I'm struggling to interpret any larger meaning beyond the basic plot.

Sounds like what he did with inglorious basterds.

33 minutes ago, Tank said:

Sounds like what he did with inglorious basterds.

I was gona say, it's like if he stuck the ending of Inglorious Bastards onto the end of Jackie Brown. The endings of those two movies work great for what those movies were, this was completely out of left field and didn't fit the movie we had been watching the previous two hours.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Finished watching Dogs of Berlin. Very good, imo.  I really hope they continue the series.  

Watched episode 3 and it's getting better. 

4 playoff games the weekend. 

Next week we'll get into it again. 

Found a few more to check out. I'll let you know if they are any good.

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

It's worth seeing just for the cinematography. The story is pretty good, but not nearly as emotionally affecting as other epic war movies.

Deakins is one of the best ever.  Can’t believe it took him until Blade Runner 2049 to finally get an Oscar and well deserved because both movies in the series are great looking.

Great sound and score as well.  Worth seeing in Dolby, IMAX, RPX, etc..

15 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

1917, Little Women, and Waves are like the only movies from last year that I still really need to catch up with. Didn't really have much interest in 1917 initially, but despite still hearing mixed reviews in general, the positive ones have me curious.

Good thing some screeners for the Oscars got leaked.  I’m about 15 minutes into Bombshell.  I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t get a makeup nomination tomorrow just for Theron and Ligthgow looking like their characters.

53 minutes ago, cysomeawfulpitcher said:

Good thing some screeners for the Oscars got leaked.  I’m about 15 minutes into Bombshell.  I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t get a makeup nomination tomorrow just for Theron and Ligthgow looking like their characters.

Haven't seen Bombshell yet, but I'm curious who made the better Roger Ailes. John Lithgow, or Russell Crow in "The Loudest Voice."

I enjoyed the Netflix series, The MessiahSome issues with it, but it was well-acted with some intriguing characters, and I like how they threaded the needle between geopolitical thriller and apocalyptic religion. 

The second season of Jack Ryan was entertaining, but weaker than the first. And to be honest, it felt a bit like jingoistic propaganda for American imperialism. I'm also starting to miss John Krasinski with a sense of humor.

Finally, I just saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood last night - such an entertaining film, with great performances (Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, and Leo de Caprio were all great). I tend to think that Quentin Tarantino is a bit overrated, but he can craft a good yarn. I haven't seen anything since Kill Bill, so might have to fill in the gaps.

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I was gona say, it's like if he stuck the ending of Inglorious Bastards onto the end of Jackie Brown. The endings of those two movies work great for what those movies were, this was completely out of left field and didn't fit the movie we had been watching the previous two hours.

didn't see Jackie brown. thought the ending of basterds inside the theater was WAY overblown and gratuitous. the rest of the movie was outstanding, but that part was terrible.

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

didn't see Jackie brown. thought the ending of basterds inside the theater was WAY overblown and gratuitous. the rest of the movie was outstanding, but that part was terrible.

It was over the top and gratuitous, but for a war movie about a group of jews dealing with the perpetrators of the holocaust I thought it was appropriate. Plus I had never really seen anything like that before. 

Jackie Brown is easily his most understated and least gratuitous movie by quite a bit.

WTF.  I think this is the first time in decades where I have seen a majority (well, it'll be 7 maybe 8 by the time I'm done) of the movies. But Marriage Story for best picture?  I hate to admit that I did watch it on Netflix, but I didn't think it was that great.  It was more of a how lawyers screw everything up, and acting is an art, and we in the profession are great type film.  One of those casual chick flicks, but didn't think anything more of it.  

Oh, and just realized that Rocketman wasn't a best picture nod.  Would have thought that would have been in the Academy wheelhouse there.  True story, musical, based on an academy award winner.  Heck even Egerton didn't get nominated for an actor is surprising.  

Best Picture:

“Ford v Ferrari”
“The Irishman”
“Jojo Rabbit”
“Joker”
“Little Women”
“Marriage Story”
“1917”
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
“Parasite”

Edited by gotbeer

For the first time in years, I went to the theater on Saturday evening to see Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. While I have seen the first three films multiple times, I missed the last two, so some of this was lost on me. Great special effects, though.

This was my first time going to a theater that had the big padded reclining seats. It's addictive. Add in that I get a senior discount, and there is no reason not to go. I had already planned to catch the new Top Gun movie later this year, and there was a preview of a new James Bond movie (which I have always liked) coming up as well. I will be buying some movie tickets.

8 hours ago, gotbeer said:

WTF.  I think this is the first time in decades where I have seen a majority (well, it'll be 7 maybe 8 by the time I'm done) of the movies. But Marriage Story for best picture?  I hate to admit that I did watch it on Netflix, but I didn't think it was that great.  It was more of a how lawyers screw everything up, and acting is an art, and we in the profession are great type film.  One of those casual chick flicks, but didn't think anything more of it.  

Oh, and just realized that Rocketman wasn't a best picture nod.  Would have thought that would have been in the Academy wheelhouse there.  True story, musical, based on an academy award winner.  Heck even Egerton didn't get nominated for an actor is surprising.  

Yeah, Taron and Eddie Murphy were big snobs for me.  Haven’t seen Uncut Gems yet regarding Sandler.

Avoiding Marriage Story since it looks like Kramer V Kramer for hipsters and stars the most overrated actress alive.

6 minutes ago, cysomeawfulpitcher said:

Yeah, Taron and Eddie Murphy were big snobs for me.  Haven’t seen Uncut Gems yet regarding Sandler.

Avoiding Marriage Story since it looks like Kramer V Kramer for hipsters and stars the most overrated actress alive.

What's your problem with Laura Dern?