• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Seven Samurai - 50's Japanese 'western', and the basis for The Magnificent Seven

It stars a couple of Japan's most famous actors, and is directed by their most famous director.

Definitely worth checking out. I've watched it twice this week.

first couple episodes of breaking bad season 2.

im starting to think my life can now be quantified temporally as BBB and ABB.

before knowing about breaking bad vs after knowing about breaking bad.

great show.

Season 2? if you're obsessed now then you're going to be ape shit crazy about it by the time you catch up. The best is yet to come.

The Assassination of Jesse James 7.5/10

Another AW.com special. Picked this up many years back on the $5 rack after a discussion or quality mention, by I believe, Rally. We have never seen eye to eye on a lot of flicks but I always respected his opinion (except with Kick Ass) and valued his thought process so I figured I'd check it out or pick it up if I came across it. I took it out of the wrapper a year or two ago, but never watched it and finally did yesterday, but it took the whole day.

I wasn't too thrilled with the length of the movie for the pace it had. I stopped the movie at two parts to do stuff and needed a break. It's just really slow. Brad Pitt is a boss and nailed his character. Casey Afflecks character was really annoying, but makes sense by the time the movie ends.

I wanted to say the movie was just ok, but the movie really finishes strong and is kind of thought provoking. It's hard to talk about the flick or critique it without going over the plot or spoilers, granted this movie has been out for 6-7 years.

What took you so long?

What you see as a weakness in the film (the pace), I see as a strength. I understand what you're saying, though.

Glad you got around to it.

What took you so long?

What you see as a weakness in the film (the pace), I see as a strength. I understand what you're saying, though.

Glad you got around to it.

I think it's more that I bought it expecting to watch it, but needed to be in the mood and set aside enough time. I made the mistake of watching it at night, had to pause it for bed, watched it the next day, pause for priorities, finish at night.

Having a couple days to digest, I am ok with the pace, just wasn't expecting it to be that slow. But the ending was do strong it works and was allowed because of the development.

Good recommendation dude.

Seven Samurai - 50's Japanese 'western', and the basis for The Magnificent Seven

It stars a couple of Japan's most famous actors, and is directed by their most famous director.

Definitely worth checking out. I've watched it twice this week.

absolutely fantastic movie!

one of the best of all time.

watch the idiot (based on the novel by my man dostoyevsky), roshomon and ikiru next.

absolutely fantastic movie!

one of the best of all time.

watch the idiot (based on the novel by my man dostoyevsky), roshomon and ikiru next.

Would also like to toss in High and Low, and if he's looking for another samurai film which was then remade as Western in the U.S., try Yojimbo (also stars Toshiro Mifune)

Been watching reruns of Castle. He's a writer that shadows an NYC detective as part of his research. He's hilarious and she's gorgeous.

And it stars Nathan Fillion from Firely! Been wanting to watch Castle for awhile.

In Bruges 10/10

Been wanting to see it for a few years. Damn, what an incredible movie. Better than almost everything I've seen in ages. Brendan Gleeson is so great. He never gets enough credit or the accolades he deserves.

Awesome movie

I loved In Bruges. Saw it in theaters right when it came out based on early reviews but I thought it had a terrible trailer. It looked like a typical light-hearted fish-outta-water buddy comedy. So glad it wasn't that.

What are you guys' thoughts on the director's second movie Seven Psychopaths> Reviews weren't nearly as good as In Bruges, but I thought it was still pretty great.

Agreed about the trailer as well. I think I saw it at an indie theater then bought it on dvd and have watched it about twice since.

I didn't care for Seven Psychopaths too much. I figured it would be hard to follow up In Bruges, but looking back I can't find any redeeding qualities about the flick. Farrell plays a similar character. I think we even tried to watch it twice when we rented it because we thought there was no way it could be that off or that we missed something. I wasn't a fan.

Rock N Rolla 8/10

Saw this in theaters many years ago, picked up when it went to DVD and just popped it in for some English buddies where one dude hasn't seen it. This flick seems to get better every time I watch it. Just a really good Guy Ritchie English gangster flick.

Speaking of which, how do you guys have the Guy Ritchie flicks rated? We were talking about this the other day because I feel Revolver is underrated and while I love Lock Stock and Snatch, they may be overrated by the masses.

Snatch > Lock Stock > Rock N Rolla > Revolver

?

Agreed about the trailer as well. I think I saw it at an indie theater then bought it on dvd and have watched it about twice since.

I didn't care for Seven Psychopaths too much. I figured it would be hard to follow up In Bruges, but looking back I can't find any redeeding qualities about the flick. Farrell plays a similar character. I think we even tried to watch it twice when we rented it because we thought there was no way it could be that off or that we missed something. I wasn't a fan.

Yeah..that's pretty much the consensus. I just had a lot fun with it.

On a similar note, have you seen The Guard? Similar vibe to In Bruges and written and directed by John Michael McDonagh (brother of Martin McDonagh). Also stars Gleeson.

On a similar note, have you seen The Guard? Similar vibe to In Bruges and written and directed by John Michael McDonagh (brother of Martin McDonagh). Also stars Gleeson.

I liked Seven Psychopaths. Sam Rockwell is always great. The Guard was really good too. Funny. Like I said previously, Brendan Gleeson is so good in everything he does. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 

Is that the one with Don Chedale, as well? Trailer looked good and is a flick I wanted to see.

Would also like to toss in High and Low, and if he's looking for another samurai film which was then remade as Western in the U.S., try Yojimbo (also stars Toshiro Mifune)

I think Yojimbo will be next on my list, if for no other reason than Mifune and Kurosawa spoke so highly of it themselves.

There's also Throne of Blood

Watched "Splinter", L.A. gang movie the other night.

What a crazy movie. Anyone else see it? Gang member gets shot in the head and his memory comes back in bits and pieces. Complicated plot and psychotic crazy.