• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

The History of The Eagles. Documentary about the band on Showtime. Glenn Frey is a giant douchebag.

haven't seen it - although my old drummer used to say about the Eagles ..." If you practice your harmonies that much you end up sleeping together ...."

The Heat 2/10

Wow, what an absolute bust of a movie. While admitting I laughed in a couple of places, this film just didn't work on pretty much every level. It was just a vulgar movie from beginning to end. The plot was muddy because they had too many suspects. the dialogue was forced and all the excessive amounts of swearing was unnecessary. Character development was missing. Most of the jokes missed, again and again.

I want my money back.

Finally watched Knuckleball.  If you don't root for these guys, you are an asshole.  

There always seems to be 2 or 3 knuckleballers.  It is kinda surprising... especially when a guy like Dickey has a run like he has... that more people don't try it.  

Just watched it myself.  I thought it was very good, and I'm a bigger fan of both Wake and Dickey than I already was.  The knuckleballers are a small fraternity, and all of them overcame long adversity to make it in the Bigs.  I remember when Wake finally got his 200th win; it only took him 19 years...

The Heat 2/10

Wow, what an absolute bust of a movie. While admitting I laughed in a couple of places, this film just didn't work on pretty much every level. It was just a vulgar movie from beginning to end. The plot was muddy because they had too many suspects. the dialogue was forced and all the excessive amounts of swearing was unnecessary. Character development was missing. Most of the jokes missed, again and again.

I want my money back.

No offense, but that movie had terrible written all over it.

The Pursuit of Happyness 10/10

In my top 5-10. I pop it in for motivation and inspiration but always lose it at the final interview to where it now seems like a conditioned somber state. Plus, the movie has Kurt Fuller which instantly makes it great anyway.

The Assassination of Jesse James 7.5/10

Another AW.com special. Picked this up many years back on the $5 rack after a discussion or quality mention, by I believe, Rally. We have never seen eye to eye on a lot of flicks but I always respected his opinion (except with Kick Ass) and valued his thought process so I figured I'd check it out or pick it up if I came across it. I took it out of the wrapper a year or two ago, but never watched it and finally did yesterday, but it took the whole day.

I wasn't too thrilled with the length of the movie for the pace it had. I stopped the movie at two parts to do stuff and needed a break. It's just really slow. Brad Pitt is a boss and nailed his character. Casey Afflecks character was really annoying, but makes sense by the time the movie ends.

I wanted to say the movie was just ok, but the movie really finishes strong and is kind of thought provoking. It's hard to talk about the flick or critique it without going over the plot or spoilers, granted this movie has been out for 6-7 years.

Before Midnight - 9.5/10

Great movie and best of what is now a trilogy. If you haven't seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, I'd recommend checking those out first if you have any interest in seeing Before Midnight. Each film gets better as it builds up the relationship. Each film was made 9 years apart, and takes place 9 years apart from each other. Along with Mud, I'd say it sits on top as the best for the year so far.

A Hijacking - 10/10

Incredible movie. Tense, realistic, well-acted, well-written. Characters you care about. Loved it.

Actually watched that recently as well. Thought it was great. Plays pretty much like a procedural, and just lays everything on the table with over-dramatization.

Another one I watched recently:

No - 8.5/10

Movie about the Chilean Yes/No campaign in the '80s whether to keep Pinochet in office. I thought it was great and very much enjoyed the style in which the movie looks like something you would see on '80s television.

The Man from Nowhere. My first subtitled movie. A little hard for me to follow at first, but really really good.

If you can find it, watch Das Boot in its original German with subtitles. Very powerful WWII submarine movie.

The Man from Nowhere. My first subtitled movie. A little hard for me to follow at first, but really really good.

foreign movies are amazing.

i definitely recommend you watch more; there are so many good ones that blow the pants off american cinema.

reading the subtitles will get easier as you go too - its tricky at first to keep up.

Before Midnight - 9.5/10

Great movie and best of what is now a trilogy. If you haven't seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, I'd recommend checking those out first if you have any interest in seeing Before Midnight. Each film gets better as it builds up the relationship. Each film was made 9 years apart, and takes place 9 years apart from each other. Along with Mud, I'd say it sits on top as the best for the year so far.

Will Linklater finally get nominated for an Oscar?

Speaking of foreign flicks, popped in The Prophet recently. Wrote about it many years ago, but it's a French flick. Kind of a gangster flick, but more like American Me or the prison scenes of Blood In Blood Out. It follows a criminal through the prison system to where he gets to be a top dog of sorts.

Another good one is Shottas. Basically a Jamaican gangster flick. I can follow most foreign flicks, but this is the toughest for some reason.

Hoping to pop in City of Men here in the next day or two. I've had the movie forever but think I'm scared to put it in and have it not be as good as City of God.

I haven't seen City of Men myself, but I've heard decent things just nowhere near the praise of City of God for that one.

Speaking of good movies similar to City of God, have you seen Elite Squad and Elite Squad 2? Definitely recommend checking those out if you haven't