• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Saw Fruitvale Station today. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

I didn't really feel outraged at Oscar Grant's death as much as I felt confused. The cop who shoots Grant ended up getting just 2 years in prison because the jury bought his story that he thought he was holding his taser and not his gun. The movie, however, makes it seem like the cop was lying. But reading up on the real-life story, apparently one of Grant's friends testified that he heard the cop saying, "I'm going to tase him" just before he fired the gun. In addition, the reason he wanted to tase him was Grant wouldn't show him his hands. The filmmakers conveniently left out some of these facts that make the real story more ambiguous than what they were going for.

I havent been on here lately and I just went to Europe and watched a ton of movies on the plan ride and also got to see some in theaters, so here we go.

Django Unchained - Great movie. At first I thought it might be one of Tarantinos best, but as time has waned I don't feel that way. Still it was very funny and I have no idea how Leonardo Dicaprio did not get an oscar nomination for that role. I get chills thinking about his character. Jamii Fox was pretty good, Samuel L Jackson was very funny and Christoph Waltz was great as usual.

Chasing Mavericks - The movie got horrible reviews, but I am a surfer at heart so I wanted to watch it. Maybe you have to have that passion for the ocean to understand, but I thought it was amazing. The kid who plays the main character was a little to whiny at times, but Gerald Butler was perfect for the role of the old wise surger. Watching that movie just made me want to paddle into the ocean and listen to the waves go by me. It was a great tribute to Jay Moriaty.

Silver Linings Playbook - Great movie, excellent acting. Bradley Cooper really suprised me in this one, terrific job. Deniro was good as is Jenifer Lawrence. I never saw her previous work. I don't know if she deserved best actress, but she was good none the less.

End of Watch - While the movie was entertaining at times, it was to unbelievable for me. I did like some of the dialogue between the main characters, it was to boring for me. I finished watching it, but it just did not cut it for me.

Waiting for superman - fell asleep half way through. Tried to watch again, same thing. I am an educator and this was just boring rhetoric I have heard before. More people pointing out the obvious problems, but no real solutions.

Safety not Guranteed - Amazing! Best movie I have seen in a while. Interesting plot, tremdous acting and direction. I have already watched this movie three times and I can not wait to see it again. If you have not seen this, please check it out. It is a romantic dromedy or sorts. I don't really know how to categorise it other than I loved it. I keep trying to get my wife to watch it, but she thinks it is a raunchy comedy for some reason.

Life of Pi - It was a great movie at times, boring movie at times. I love Irrfan Khan and all the work he does. He was no different in this movie. His narrative of the last time he saw the tiger was very depressing. It made me want to cry. The special effects were good, I don't think Ang Lee deserved to win best oscar, I felt like this was more of a lifetime achievement award for him. I never read the book so I do not have that to fall back on.

Argo - Great movie. I can see why it won picture of the year. It is beyond me how Affleck did not even get an oscar nod for best director. He is 3 for 3 in my book now as director. Gone baby gone is still my favorite, followed by Argo and the Town.

Wreck it Ralph - I highly reccomend. Great movie to watch by yourself, with the spouse or with the family. Fun to watch.

Identity Thief - How people found this funny is beyond me. Total crap, I had to fast forward it at times just to finish the dam thing. Jason Bateman sure can be annoying sometimes.

Now you see me - I had high expectations for this movie so maybe it ruined it for me a bit. I heard about a big suprise ending, but I saw it coming from the beginning. Still it was pretty good. I wish I got to see Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg act a little more. I felt like they never got to get their characters going. Michael Caine was really just a name. Morgan Freema was good, but the same as Harrelson and Eisenberg, you never got to see them stretch themselves. It was still entertaining though.

This is the end - Funniest movie I have seen in a while. So many great lines, especially a very comical exchange between Danny McBride and James Franco. Highly reccomend, but very raunchy and not for everyone.

The to do list - I am a big Aubrey Plaza fan, and this movie does not change that. Nothing valuable to be taken from this movie, but it is just a funny dirty raunchy film. It is unique because it is a girl being raunchy and from her perspective. It might be like an American Pie for chicks. People in the theater either walked out or laughed hysterically. Not for everyone, but I was very amused.

So as you can tell I saw a lot of movies. Safety not guranteed was the best though and the one I would say to watch ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Resident Evil: Retribution - 8/10

I really enjoy these movies.  Mindless, non stop action.

Taken 2 - 8/10

The first one is a lot better, but still awesome to see Liam Neeson kick ass.

The Man With the Iron Fists - 5/10

Didn't really get in to it, RZA was eh.  The action scenes were cool though.

Oblivion - 7/10

I'm a Tom Cruise fan, so I enjoyed it simply because of him.  Story was cool.  Love me some Olga, too.

Savages - 8/10

Really like it.  The only thing that held it back a little was Aaron Johnson; though his acting was kind of poor.

Watched quite a few movies from this year recently:

The World's End - 9/10

Had a ton of fun with this. Overall, it might be my least favorite of Wright's Cornetto Trilogy, but that's not a huge negative as I love the other two. Though, like his other movies, I can imagine repeated viewings will be rewarded.

Now You See Me - 2/10

Just a dumb movie that tried to be clever and stylish.

Drinking Buddies - 7.5/10

I really enjoyed this. It's basically just a romance drama/comedy, but felt pretty authentic. Starring Olivia Wilde, Anna Kendrick, Ron Livingstone and Jake Johnson.

Magic Magic - 6/10

Surprised I kind of enjoyed this to an extent as I didn't expect much. Reminds me a lot of something like Roman Polanski's Repulsion where you just get to see a character become psychologically unhinged and done pretty well. Watch if you have some vague curiosity in seeing Michael Cera playing a weirdo who lives in Chile and speaks Spanish.

Disconnect - 8.5/10

I'm not a fan of Crash so I hate using this comparison, but this movie is basically Crash but involving internet-related horror stories instead of racism. The only difference for me is, that I actually really enjoyed this a lot, though at times there's a tinge a little too much going on along with some melodrama but it does blend all the together pretty well.

Clear History - 8/10

If you Curb Your Enthusiasm, you'll probably like this. Stars Larry David, and it's basically a full-length Curb Your Enthusiasm just with different characters. Even the music in the movie parodies the show the a bit. It's a fun watch.

The Battery - 7/10

Incredibly low budget zombie drama. The acting is often bad but I enjoyed who the zombie story is really just a backdrop for what is essentially just a buddy film about two guys (baseball players) who are just wondering around after the zombie apocalypse.

Sweet Vengance - 6.5/10

Pretty fun Western though feels like a B-Horror at times due a lot of cliche type characters. It's basically just a revenge story starring January Jones and an awesome Ed Harris.

And then one not from this year.

Chungking Express - 10/10

Outstanding.

Edited by Sam Sanchez