• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Howie Kendrick at the Trade Deadline?

Chuck

Trade Howie Kendrick at the Deadline?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Howie Kendrick for pitching prospects at the deadline?

• Yes, trade him. Promote Taylor Lindsey
    • No, keep him. He's going to win batting titles.

Nothing we would get for him would be a sure thing. 

Trades are supposed to make both teams better.  Callaspo is a hack at second by the way.

Trades are supposed to make both teams better. That doesn't mean immediately better.

Take for example the Pau Gasol trade. The Lakers got immediately better but it took Memphis some time to capitalize on the trade. Now they are one of the best teams in the Western Conference.

Well Howie's value may not be any higher than it is right now. I think, as another poster said, we should consider waiting until the offseason and give LIndsey a cup of coffee to see how he handles the majors. However if we got an offer that really did blow us out of the water I'd say go ahead and we can roll the dice on Callaspo and/or Lindsey at second base.

Trades are supposed to make both teams better. That doesn't mean immediately better.

Take for example the Pau Gasol trade. The Lakers got immediately better but it took Memphis some time to capitalize on the trade. Now they are one of the best teams in the Western Conference.

3 players I don't want gone, but will bring back value are Vargas (deadline), Frieri (deadline or offseason), and Howie (offseason).

We could get some good major league ready or close to it pitchers out of those three. I still believe our offense will be fine minus Howie and with Lucho/ Lindsey in the lineup as the 9 hitter. Hamilton literally cannot be worse than he has been.

Basketball and baseball don't really equate very well.  Draft picks are much more likely to make an impact quickly.

Howie is one of our best players this year.  The fans have a right to have a few bright spots to watch for the rest of the season.

If the offer was out of this world, I'm ok with it, but being a fan of this team since the early 70's tells me that won't be the case and the chances that we get fleeced are much greater.

3 players I don't want gone, but will bring back value are Vargas (deadline), Frieri (deadline or offseason), and Howie (offseason).

We could get some good major league ready or close to it pitchers out of those three. I still believe our offense will be fine minus Howie and with Lucho/ Lindsey in the lineup as the 9 hitter. Hamilton literally cannot be worse than he has been.

Now, Frieri I'd have no problem trading.

On a totally unrelated note I had a dream the other night where I visited the board and posters were all up in arms about the great acquisition we'd made for an awesome starting pitcher. It was right after the dream where I was standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand nake women screaming and throwing little pickles at me.

Unless you're damn sure Lindsey would be better..I wouldn't do it.

Obviously, I don't see Howie play 2nd everyday...but he looks average.

Kendrick looks like the 8th best (around) 2nd baseman in the league and this team has no payroll.

I agree with this 100%.  This team needs good young prospects.  If Howie can get them, you do it.

We are not winning anything this year.  Totally agree that Howie could be replaced by a youngster (maybe Lindsey, maybe someone like Stamets, Yarbrough or Long).  Get him to a team that is deep in minor league pitching (Orioles?) and that is contending.  Howie typically hits around .285, with 10 homers.  Average defense.  Lots of DP's.  Strike while the iron is hot!

Lindsey does have around an .810 OPS, which for a 21 year-old at Arkansas is pretty good. 

That is a bigtime pitchers' park.

His plate discipline and slugging have improved at each level.

Agreed though that the return had better be solid for any Kendrick trade.

The scouts had better know these players coming here well.  

Interesting topic and it's something that's been discussed a bit before as far as Howie and Aybar being probably the most tradeable players given their age and club friendly contracts.  I definitely think it would be worthwhile to see what teams are willing to offer but if you start trading guys like that I don't think the team should turn around and spend 10M+ a year on any FA's or extensions like Vargas.   

Again, I think you wait and see. I don't think Howie has finally found it at this age so it might e a good time to sell high. We know he's a 3-4 win player which is valuable at his position. I'd like to keep him but if team overpaid for him, I'd be ok with it.

he is right in the peak age right now btw

Tough one.  But for the season I would say no.  I think the demand for him will be highest in the offseason.  And even then, I don't think the haul will be worth it.  

Judging from last season and the offseason, seems teams are valuing prospects higher than ever.  

And on a more sarcastic note.  I wouldn't trade Kendrick, because someone may get punch drunk again, and determine we have an opening for Cano or Utley.  

he is right in the peak age right now btw

Yup, and we have him signed for under $10 mill through the age 32 season. That doesn't get any better for one of the top players at a position. I would slap the hell out of Dipoto if he traded Howie. By the time his contract comes off the books Lindsey will be ready to go.

Yup, and we have him signed for under $10 mill through the age 32 season. That doesn't get any better for one of the top players at a position. I would slap the hell out of Dipoto if he traded Howie. By the time his contract comes off the books Lindsey will be ready to go.

But what are we holding onto Howie for? To finish in 3rd place?