• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Howie Kendrick at the Trade Deadline?

Chuck

Trade Howie Kendrick at the Deadline?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Howie Kendrick for pitching prospects at the deadline?

• Yes, trade him. Promote Taylor Lindsey
    • No, keep him. He's going to win batting titles.

I think a key determining factor in the Kendrick trade decision is when do we expect the team to be ready to contend again.  Is that next year, 2015, 2016, or 2017.You trade Howie now only if you think that we will not contend until 2016 or later in my mind.  Any pitching prospects you get in return probably won't be effectively ready until then.

It sounds strange, but I would give up a couple of more years, if it made the team better in the long run for the next several years from 2016 forward, and they showed the ability to balance between building a strong org and making strategic acquisitions (not the ones like a boy in a candy store).

Depends on the return, naturally.   It'd have to be pretty good.  Kendrick isn't quite 30 and has two and a half more years left on his deal for about $23 million. I'm still in the camp of five or six people that think this year isn't over.  Trading Kendrick will hurt your team for the next year or so, most likely... maybe for the amount of time left on his deal.   Even if you think thist year is over, you should definitely have hope for next year.  Lindsey isn't good enough or close enough to be a factor.  

Getting young pitching is tough.  Jerry Dipoto did it... but did so with a good major league pitcher, not a solid second baseman having a great year.

I don't think the Angels' status of contention over the next few years is dependent on whether Howie is with the team or not. Don't get me wrong, Howie is a good player and certainly good for a 2nd baseman. I just don't think we should hold onto him because we "might" contend.

I'm not sure if he should be traded or not, but I do think he should be made available. See what kind of offers we can get for him. If the FO gets a really good offer, you have to consider pulling the trigger.

Realistically what could you expect to get for a 2B who is having a career year?  A contending team is not going to weaken their existing team to get Kendrick, so it seems to me the best the Angels can expect would be two good prospects.  There would be no Trouts, Puigs, Harpers in that bunch.  What is the likelihood of a prospect making an immediate (2014) team improvement?  Statistics show there are more McPhersons and Woods than Salmons and Erstads.  For proven Major league talent, you can expect two RPs with a good record.

Do the Angels need to make a drastic move like that?  No, I don't think so.  It's true, this season is a bust.  Where the Angels need immediate improvement is in pitching.  So the FA market will again be tapped and hopefully the foreign market.

So the answer is - no.

Realistically what could you expect to get for a 2B who is having a career year?  A contending team is not going to weaken their existing team to get Kendrick, so it seems to me the best the Angels can expect would be two good prospects.  There would be no Trouts, Puigs, Harpers in that bunch.  What is the likelihood of a prospect making an immediate (2014) team improvement?  Statistics show there are more McPhersons and Woods than Salmons and Erstads.  For proven Major league talent, you can expect two RPs with a good record.

Do the Angels need to make a drastic move like that?  No, I don't think so.  It's true, this season is a bust.  Where the Angels need immediate improvement is in pitching.  So the FA market will again be tapped and hopefully the foreign market.

So the answer is - no.

But again it comes back to when you think you can realistically contend again.  I agree you aren't going to get guys who can make an immediate impact in return, but would I trade Howie to a contender for young SP prospects that could possibly make a difference in 2015/16 and beyond? hell yes.  I don't see this team miraculously turning things around next year.

I'd be ecstatic if this is the real Howie. I have no idea if it is or not but he's been pretty consistent as a .280/.330/.420 type guy who can provide good defense, which is a valuable commodity. I've thought this over and still don't know what the right way to go would be. 

His value will most likely be through the roof come the trade deadline. This team needs minor league depth big time. It almost seems like trading him is too logical but I've liked Howie for a while now. Many people underrate him because of his flaws that tend to annoy you. He's still a very solid and consistent player, and could possibly be breaking out now. It is in his prime year, as LT and others said, but he has had a lot of AB at this level to figure it out. 

Interested to see what Dipoto does. 

no more than a typical 28-32 year old has, and yet that is the typical prime years for a MLB player

This may surprise some people, but I say trade him.   

It's no coincidence Howie is having his best season when the season is already well over, and the pressure is off.  We could have used this type of offense from him last year when the team almost made the playoffs, instead he had a crap year.  He just doesn't play well when the pressure is on, he's just not a championship player.

Trade him while his value is high, but only if you get some value in return.

The definitive answer on this debate is this....Yes, we trade Kendrick, but only if they agree to take Aybar, too.

/thread

Hang on a second. If we trade Aybar, who takes over as the player most likely to make stupid mistakes while running the bases? This is an important role that someone will need to fill.

This may surprise some people, but I say trade him.   

It's no coincidence Howie is having his best season when the season is already well over, and the pressure is off.  We could have used this type of offense from him last year when the team almost made the playoffs, instead he had a crap year.  He just doesn't play well when the pressure is on, he's just not a championship player.

Trade him while his value is high, but only if you get some value in return.

oh brother. Howie's good season has nothing to do with the season being over already. That's ridiculous. Oh and Howie didn't have a crap year last year. It wasn't as good as this year for sure, but it was hardly crap. The notion that he doesn't play well under pressure or he is not a championship caliber player is utter hogwash.

making a trade because a certain player's stock will never be higher (or at least you think it won't) is not a good enough reason to make a trade. You make a trade if there is a net gain for the team. In order for that to be the case, you have to find a partner that is willing to give up good pitching (the most prized commodity in baseball) in return. I don't think the Angels have any plans of not being contenders over the next few years. There is no way they go into a fire sale mode and trade off their young or middle aged talent (in baseball playing age) to restock their farm. IMHO. I just don't see that happening nor do I think it's necessary.

Cups of coffee don't really tell the tale though Scott.

Lindsey was praised in ST from Scioscia and Dipoto.

If you can get two really good pitching prospects, I say go for it.

Chuck...when was the last time the angels were on the better end of a trade involving pitching? I don't think we have a front office skilled enough to make that call.