• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Howie Kendrick at the Trade Deadline?

Chuck

Trade Howie Kendrick at the Deadline?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Howie Kendrick for pitching prospects at the deadline?

• Yes, trade him. Promote Taylor Lindsey
    • No, keep him. He's going to win batting titles.

Another trade candidate is Frieri. Teams like the Tigers and Red Sox would definetly be interested. He's under club control for a few more years unlike Papelbon and his hefty contract. I'm not sure what Detroit can offer from their farm but I'd love to get an arm like Matt Barnes from Boston.

Another trade candidate is Frieri. Teams like the Tigers and Red Sox would definetly be interested. He's under club control for a few more years unlike Papelbon and his hefty contract. I'm not sure what Detroit can offer from their farm but I'd love to get an arm like Matt Barnes from Boston.

No we have to keep Ernasty. He is young and there's no one to replace him. It's a step back if Angels trade Frieri

I think a key determining factor in the Kendrick trade decision is when do we expect the team to be ready to contend again.  Is that next year, 2015, 2016, or 2017.You trade Howie now only if you think that we will not contend until 2016 or later in my mind.  Any pitching prospects you get in return probably won't be effectively ready until then.

This is not necessarily true. For instance, the Mets traded Carlos Beltran to the Giants at the trading deadline in 2011. The return they got for him (Zach Wheeler) made his major league debut yesterday.

2016 is probably when some of the prospects we just drafted should be ready.

That's not enough. And who's the trade partner that wants Howie bad enough to give up good pitching? 

Kendrick for young arms, I think it's more than enough. There's enough teams that are in need of 2nd base upgrade. Would they be willing to trade there young arms, well who knows, teams do start to get desperate though during the deadline. Young arms is a must for this team and Dipo needs to do his best to restock

no more than a typical 28-32 year old has, and yet that is the typical prime years for a MLB player

Yeah, his real breakout came in 2011 so I thought we'd finally see some consistency and he fell back last year but he's bounced back very well this year. The biggest bummer about this team is we have lots of guys in that 26-32 age range so we should be getting prime seasons from a lot of our players.

Look, the Angels don't HAVE to trade Howie. That's the beauty of the situation. That means that we trade him if AND ONLY if what we get back is worth it. Now, there are many teams who won't trade pitching prospects. I get it. It makes sense. However, there are some teams that seem to be loaded with them. Do any of these teams need a second baseman? Maybe, maybe not. But you float his name out there and see what other teams are willing to part with.

Kendrick for young arms, I think it's more than enough. There's enough teams that are in need of 2nd base upgrade. Would they be willing to trade there young arms, well who knows, teams do start to get desperate though during the deadline. Young arms is a must for this team and Dipo needs to do his best to restock

Good pitching is the most premium need for teams. In order for them to give up good pitchkng, they are going to really want/need Kendrick. I doubt that partner exists. Again, it has to be a net gain for the team or you don't pull the trigger. So, who are the teams that you think would give up good pitching to upgrade their 2B?

not the right time yet. 

I am not opposed to moving a guy if the outlook is bleak and he's coming up on FA as well as if there is a replacement. 

Howie isn't a FA till after 2015.  Lindsey is having a nice year, but I wouldn't count on him to be ready.  They just invested in pujols and hamilton so they aren't going to give up on that yet. 

They still need to see if the current team can put things together.  Add a pitcher in the offseason and re-sign vargas or someone else.  get rid of blanton and add another pen arm.  Hope the aliens return the real Hamilton and that pujols foot heals. 

Mid next year at the earliest, but I would give it till the offseason between 2014/15 or even the deadline of 2015. 

Prospects are no sure thing.  One seems to make it for every 2 that don't.  I wouldn't get too caught up in it.  Been there done that

People talk about how young pitchers are the most prized commodity in baseball. But they are also the most risky. Teams trade them all the time. Are we going to get a Clayton Kershaw or Matt Harvey or Matt Moore type for Howie? No. But we can get a couple of guys in AA who are like Skaggs or Corbin. They might not be major contributors until 2016 but that's okay. 

not the right time yet. 

I am not opposed to moving a guy if the outlook is bleak and he's coming up on FA as well as if there is a replacement. 

Howie isn't a FA till after 2015.  Lindsey is having a nice year, but I wouldn't count on him to be ready.  They just invested in pujols and hamilton so they aren't going to give up on that yet. 

They still need to see if the current team can put things together.  Add a pitcher in the offseason and re-sign vargas or someone else.  get rid of blanton and add another pen arm.  Hope the aliens return the real Hamilton and that pujols foot heals. 

Mid next year at the earliest, but I would give it till the offseason between 2014/15 or even the deadline of 2015. 

Prospects are no sure thing.  One seems to make it for every 2 that don't.  I wouldn't get too caught up in it.  Been there done that

I have given up on this group of players ever being good enough to contend for a championship. Howie will never have more value (and not just because of the year that he's having). Every day the value that the team trading for Howie gets drops. He gets older and they get less service time from him. As a result the prospects we get for him will be worse the longer we wait or further from the big leagues. I don't think Lindsey is the answer but it's time for a total rebuild. So instead of winning 85 games next season we win 60. It just means the same chance of winning the WS and we get a higher draft pick. 

People talk about how young pitchers are the most prized commodity in baseball. But they are also the most risky. Teams trade them all the time. Are we going to get a Clayton Kershaw or Matt Harvey or Matt Moore type for Howie? No. But we can get a couple of guys in AA who are like Skaggs or Corbin. They might not be major contributors until 2016 but that's okay. 

We can? 

Ya pitchers are the most prized commodity in baseball, and yes there is also a significant risk with pitching prospects. That only makes them harder to give up even if they seemingly have an abundance, because you never know. 

Like I said before, there needs to be a significant return to trade Howie who is one of the main cogs of the team. I highly doubt the team is of the firesale to build for the future mindset. Unlike you, I don't think they've given up on this group. There is no total rebuild coming. Book it. 

It is nice that Taylor Lindsey hitting for power, but I'm not buying into it completely.  195 lb. middle infielders generally don't hit almost as many home runs as doubles.  Seems like a bit of a fluke.  I thought Mike Trout's numbers were a bit of a fluke last year.  35 doubles and triples, 30 home runs.  This year, that has changed. He has more than twice as many doubles and triples.  Trout certainly has more pop than Lindsey.   Lindsey doesn't fit the profile of a typical guy that hits almost as many... or more... home runs.... those guys include Chris Davis, Edwin Encarnacion, Domonic Brown, Adam Dunn, Nelson Cruz, Mark Trumbo... to name a few.  

Then there's the .328 OBP last year and .338 this year.  

If you trade Kendrick, you shouldn't expect Lindsey to be a decent replacement. In 2013, 2014, and beyond.  Seems unlikely. 

We can? 

Ya pitchers are the most prized commodity in baseball, and yes there is also a significant risk with pitching prospects. That only makes them harder to give up even if they seemingly have an abundance, because you never know. 

Like I said before, there needs to be a significant return to trade Howie who is one of the main cogs of the team. I highly doubt the team is of the firesale to build for the future mindset. Unlike you, I don't think they've given up on this group. There is no total rebuild coming. Book it. 

I agree that one isn't coming but that doesn't mean continuing to tread water is the right move. I don't think Arte will tolerate a total rebuild but I think until we undergo one we will never be in real contention. This team is going to have something around 100 million dollars tied up in Pujols, Hamilton, Wilson and Weaver during the 2016 season. There is no pitching coming through the pipeline and one position player in the top 100 prospects list. What are we going to do then?

We can? 

agree.  a small faction of people have given up on this group.  Maybe some of us have given up on the season, but not this group.  Many of us would rather see what happens with the current group than rely on a group of unproven players to ensure our future. 

If people have soured on Dipoto and have lost trust in his ability to put a winner together, why would you trust him to trade the current group of players for prospects. 

I agree that even with Howie's value likely being as high as it's going to get, I just don't see it netting us anything more than a couple of B or C grade prospects. 

What I would do, is use him as a chip to improve the team for the following year if Lindsey proves to be ready.  If we feel Lindsey could be relied upon in 2015 and 2014 proves to be about the same as this year, move him for a near major league ready starter sometime mid next year and hope that said player can contribute in 2015 or maybe 2016.  Again, possibilities will be limited as pitching prospects are highly coveted and unless you re giving up a pitcher in return or a star hitter, we likely won't get what we want. 

agree.  a small faction of people have given up on this group.  Maybe some of us have given up on the season, but not this group.  Many of us would rather see what happens with the current group than rely on a group of unproven players to ensure our future. 

If people have soured on Dipoto and have lost trust in his ability to put a winner together, why would you trust him to trade the current group of players for prospects. 

I agree that even with Howie's value likely being as high as it's going to get, I just don't see it netting us anything more than a couple of B or C grade prospects. 

What I would do, is use him as a chip to improve the team for the following year if Lindsey proves to be ready.  If we feel Lindsey could be relied upon in 2015 and 2014 proves to be about the same as this year, move him for a near major league ready starter sometime mid next year and hope that said player can contribute in 2015 or maybe 2016.  Again, possibilities will be limited as pitching prospects are highly coveted and unless you re giving up a pitcher in return or a star hitter, we likely won't get what we want. 

I think a lot of what has been done wrt the big contracts given out is more on Arte than Dipoto. It's also why I don't think a rebuild will take place. 

My question is when do you give up on this current group of players? If they win 80 games this year and 80 next? This team is on pace to win 71 games this season. Where do you see 20 wins of improvement next year or the next 3?

Its premature to try to answer this question. Let's see where the Angels are record-wise (and in terms of the wildcard) in 3-4 weeks and then decide. Cosidering that Howie's been the second best position player on the team, trading him for prospects sends the message that management is giving up on this season; even if chances are slim that the Angels make the postseason, they can't send that message...yet. If they're 10 games out of the wildcard a month from now, sure.