• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Howie Kendrick at the Trade Deadline?

Chuck

Trade Howie Kendrick at the Deadline?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Howie Kendrick for pitching prospects at the deadline?

• Yes, trade him. Promote Taylor Lindsey
    • No, keep him. He's going to win batting titles.

But even with his offense we aren't making the playoffs. Does it matter whether we finish 3rd in our division or 5th in the division? In order to improve this team we are going to have to upgrade our assets. The only way to do that is to give up something of value. Howie has a lot of it.

With that logic, you can trade Trout too.

Good posts here. To answer eaterfan, I think we have to go the route that doc mentioned. Hope that Pujols and Hamilton have a resurgence next year, get another pitcher, sign Vargas and tweak the bullpen.

I don't believe management believes this team needs blowing up and neither do I. I know things don't look good and next season could be worse if the "Bash Brothers" continue this trend, however we've got into bed with these guys and management has to see things through for a certain time. Pujols is going on his second year and Hamilton has done 3 months. That's not even close to enough time for a fire sale.

With that logic, you can trade Trout too.

I wouldn't trade by that logic for 3 reasons: The goal is competing for a WS in 2016 and Trout will still be in his prime under club control. Goal number 2 is competing for the next 3-4 years after that. Trout will still be in his prime and if we can resign him will be a key contributor to this team. I love Howie but no matter what he won't be playing 2nd base for us in the 2019 season. Finally, Trout is a once in a generational talent that can't be replaced at nearly the same level.

Trout can get through what I envision as the time it would take to weather a full rebuild and come out just as good on the other side. Kendrick can't.

Good posts here. To answer eaterfan, I think we have to go the route that doc mentioned. Hope that Pujols and Hamilton have a resurgence next year, get another pitcher, sign Vargas and tweak the bullpen.

I don't believe management believes this team needs blowing up and neither do I. I know things don't look good and next season could be worse if the "Bash Brothers" continue this trend, however we've got into bed with these guys and management has to see things through for a certain time. Pujols is going on his second year and Hamilton has done 3 months. That's not even close to enough time for a fire sale.

If we are counting on Hamilton and Pujols to be basically 10 wins better than this year I think we are in big big trouble. I'm even factoring in some improvement from this team and projecting them to win 80 games. Obviously adding another starter will help some but I don't see us getting a SP who is more than a 2 win improvement over whoever we trot out there now. Good FA pitchers are hard to come by. The guys are on the wrong side of 30. Hamilton hasn't even had his DL stint yet.

However, Lindsey does have a problem hitting lefties. His OPS vs RHP: .857. His OPS vs LHP: .631. That's the only fly in the ointment.

Good point and that would be another reason to platoon him with Callaspo (.299 vs. LHP) if the Angels went that route.

Basketball and baseball don't really equate very well.  Draft picks are much more likely to make an impact quickly.

Howie is one of our best players this year.  The fans have a right to have a few bright spots to watch for the rest of the season.

If the offer was out of this world, I'm ok with it, but being a fan of this team since the early 70's tells me that won't be the case and the chances that we get fleeced are much greater.

Exactly!

I’m suspect of those who are intent on trading Kendrick simply due to his increased value this year. Of those posters, I would guess that most who want him traded for unproven prospects are those who didn’t project much success for him leading into this season, and are nervously anticipating his fall in the stats. As far as the other posters who believe we are going to receive awesome pitching prospects for a good second baseman, you have much more confidence in our current organization than I when it comes to locating, evaluating, and acquiring talent, especially pitching talent.

Keep Kendrick. He is a fan favorite in a time of very few reasons to stand and cheer.     

Look, the Angels don't HAVE to trade Howie. That's the beauty of the situation. That means that we trade him if AND ONLY if what we get back is worth it. Now, there are many teams who won't trade pitching prospects. I get it. It makes sense. However, there are some teams that seem to be loaded with them. Do any of these teams need a second baseman? Maybe, maybe not. But you float his name out there and see what other teams are willing to part with.

This is exactly why I'm elated that the Halos chose mostly pitchers in the 2013 draft.    We had by far the thinnest farm for pitching prospects in MLB.

No we have to keep Ernasty. He is young and there's no one to replace him. It's a step back if Angels trade Frieri

I got an idea!  Let's keep everyone!  After all, trading Kendrick will not net us enough improvement.  We have no one to replace Frieri!

Let's keep everyone.  We can compete with this team as is!

So Howie may hit .260 next year and be a bad long term asset?

Pitching is a huge issue for this team, and it's going to take a lot of trades to do it because fans are not willing to wait for true rebuilding/restocking to happen.  

It's like idiots on the Mariners board talking about holding onto a closer like Willhelmsen...one idiot said "don't  trade him, he's our best closer!," which is true, but he's on a team that's way below .500 and not looking to contend for a long time.  What need does a rebuilding team have for a closer?

Time for Angels fans to start asking the same hard questions about some of their favorites.  

Maybe Trout? We could probably get a few good unproven prospects for him. If he steps it up in the second half that is. Or maybe Trumbo? Of course he will need to launch at least 35 big flies to be considered a top prospect getter. 

IF there was a time to sell Howie, now would be it. He's having a career year at the plate. If they could get a stud pitching prospect back(who is close to major league ready) it would be tough to turn down

bb, no one's going to trade a stud who's almost major league ready for Kendrick. Those are the guys you trade Cabrera for.

bb, no one's going to trade a stud who's almost major league ready for Kendrick. Those are the guys you trade Cabrera for.

This! Howie is not a 4 time all-star who threatens to lead the league in hitting every single year. The Angels would be lucky if Howie netted a AA pitching prospect who has a 50/50 chance of making it as a #4 starter in the big leagues and a low A prospect who can throw 97 but has hit more batters than innings pitched.

This! Howie is not a 4 time all-star who threatens to lead the league in hitting every single year. The Angels would be lucky if Howie netted a AA pitching prospect who has a 50/50 chance of making it as a #4 starter in the big leagues and a low A prospect who can throw 97 but has hit more batters than innings pitched.

Haha

for those who haven't given up on this group of players, what do you see changing this season or next that makes you think they're capable of contending?  You really think Arte is going to want to spend money on FA SP this offseason?

I'll answer your second question first. I think he'll have to.  Like I said before, the offense is set for good or bad. Not much coming in change there, but I think Arte will give Dipoto the leeway he gave Reagins to try to improve the team. We have to tweak the bullpen. Not really Dipoto's fault that so many relievers got hurt, including Madson's comeback. And I think Arte will allow at least one starter upgrade, hopefully that won't be just a possible Vargas extension. 

1st question - If management makes the above pitching upgrades, we can only hope Hamilton and Pujols get their acts together. I see no reason to trade Trumbo, Kendrick, Aybar unless we have solid players to replace them. These guys were MVPs. A turnaround season for even one of them can get us into the playoffs.

And this is where teams with massive deficiencies get into trouble.

They have fans who don't want to go through the rather slow, tedious, and oftentimes painful process of rebuilding, which requires figuring out what you need and don't need at the present, and create a plan based on what you want the team to look like down the line.  

These fans want it their way, right away, Burger King style.  

So instead of focusing on a solution to long-term problems (you know, like pitching for the Angels) owners and FO start forking out huge contracts to try to correct the massive deficiencies, and make things worse and worse.  Sound familiar?

this team is not going to go through a rebuilding process anytime in the near future. The infrastructure rebuild will take place over the next few years without dismantling the core of the team.

Rebuilding a farm properly involves more than just the draft or going into Central America and scouting.  

I think most Angels fans just don't understand the long-term problems of this team, so I'm sure a lot agree with you, Lifetime.  

Lol oh ok cezero, thanks for enlightening us with your superior wazzupness. 

Rebuilding a farm properly involves more than just the draft or going into Central America and scouting.  

I think most Angels fans just don't understand the long-term problems of this team, so I'm sure a lot agree with you, Lifetime.  

There is some truth to your first statement but the Angels also happen to have a huge payroll that most other teams don't have. Carrying a handful of high-priced free agents doesn't prevent the Angels from rebuilding their farm system properly. Last year and this year's drafts were minor steps towards correcting that problem. I sincerely believe that if we are out of contention we will trade off some minor pieces and maybe one medium-sized piece to add more to the farm and we will begin in earnest with next year's draft by staying out of the free agent market this season and probably next season (2015 has some interesting free agents hitting the market that the Angels might go after).

As for your 2nd statement it seems a bit flippant and disrespectful to a lot of the people on this site.