• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Howie Kendrick at the Trade Deadline?

Chuck

Trade Howie Kendrick at the Deadline?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Howie Kendrick for pitching prospects at the deadline?

• Yes, trade him. Promote Taylor Lindsey
    • No, keep him. He's going to win batting titles.

Another thing to consider is that Calhoun is wasting away and will continue to waste away, as there is 0 room for him anywhere on the big league team. So another question is do you trade Bourjos/ Trumbo to make room for Calhoun or do you trade Calhoun who won't net much at all due to lack of experience in the bigs.

It would definitely take a huge return for either one of Trumbo or Bourjos as they are a a part of the youth movement, but I feel like teams would be willing to make a huge offer for either one of them.

So the Angels are fixing their pitching problems how?  

Again, just through the farm is not something a competent FO does, and when they do, it takes up to a decade to yield solutions to problems.  

That limits the Angels fixing their massive pitching problems to, guess what, signing more "huge contracts with full no-trade clauses."  

...or, they can do what I'm saying, which is acquire needed pieces through trades.  If you really get the things you need, you're going to have to give up more than the average fan would call "minor moves."  

Sorry if the truth is too painful.  I'm not anti-Angels in any way.  

Am I wrong? You're an Angels fan, right? I'm confused by your last sentence.

I guess I don't see the Angels as having massive pitching problems. We looked great when everyone had those sugar plum visions of Weaver - Santana - Wilson - Haren - Greinke winning 15 games each and every team bowing before us in concession.

As long as Arte's got bucks, we won't have that much trouble. Like some have said, we'll patch up some problems by FA while we slowly fix the minors. The key is to be competitive while we rebuild that system. I think it's a lot better to be an Angels fan than a team that has more to worry about in the financial venue.

There's no other way to fix this pitching than to deal a player like Kendrick. There's no arms in the farm & we're definetly not getting any on the FA market. How could anyone want to stand pat and go forward for the next 3 or so years with this pitching staff?

Another thing to consider is that Calhoun is wasting away and will continue to waste away, as there is 0 room for him anywhere on the big league team. So another question is do you trade Bourjos/ Trumbo to make room for Calhoun or do you trade Calhoun who won't net much at all due to lack of experience in the bigs.

It would definitely take a huge return for either one of Trumbo or Bourjos as they are a a part of the youth movement, but I feel like teams would be willing to make a huge offer for either one of them.

Well, I think that depends on Bourjos, Shuck and, of course, how Calhoun  performs in AAA. And if they all perform well, our best case scenario, trade one for someone we can use.

There's no other way to fix this pitching than to deal a player like Kendrick. There's no arms in the farm & we're definetly not getting any on the FA market. How could anyone want to stand pat and go forward for the next 3 or so years with this pitching staff?

I don't think anyone wants to stand pat. I think the argument is how we get pitching.

Well, I think that depends on Bourjos, Shuck and, of course, how Calhoun  performs in AAA. And if they all perform well, our best case scenario, trade one for someone we can use.

Calhoun is tearing it up right now. Shuck isn't anything more than a 4th OF, but hes not bad as a role player.

I don't know how else to put this.

Fielding a great team consistently requires 3 things:  farm, trades, and FA acquisitions.  Angels need to tone it down on the FA part, and step up the farm and trade parts.  You're going to have to give up some pieces that other teams find valuable in order to get something valuable in return.  It's narrow-minded to summarily say any player you have, outside of Trout, is off limits when you have big problems.  And the Angels do, no matter how much some fans are in denial.  

I don't think anyone is living in dreamland, but most of us don't think the team needs to be completely made over.

What are your steps for the team to get back in contention?

Draft & trade. The draft alone isn't going to do it for us. I think trading someone like Kendrick is a must

I'm not averse to trades, but only if it helps us and we have someone in the minors or an FA to replace that person(s).

Cezero is absolutely right. We need to fix our pitching problems first and foremost. A complete rebuild is needed. Trade Howie, Aybar, Iannetta, Vargas for solid pitching prospects

Iannetta I can't imagine having all that much value. Aybar is very valuable to this team, no one else can play short, so keep him.

I would put Vargas, Frieri, Howie on the trading block

Continue drafting lots of pitching, which they did this year.  It will take a few more.  

Right now, stock the farm with pitching that is scouted as near MLB ready by letting go of a good hitter...maybe 2 this year.  It'll be hard, but it must be done.  

I just don't know if fans are ready to admit that this year is over, and that it will probably take more than just next year to get ready to contend again.  We'll see.

I'm bowing out of this thread because I'm talking too much, and I think it's wearing on some of you.  

Drafting lots of pitchers is great, but what else? I thought you would be more specific.

So the Angels are fixing their pitching problems how?   Again, just through the farm is not something a competent FO does, and when they do, it takes up to a decade to yield solutions to problems.   That limits the Angels fixing their massive pitching problems to, guess what, signing more "huge contracts with full no-trade clauses."   ...or, they can do what I'm saying, which is acquire needed pieces through trades.  If you really get the things you need, you're going to have to give up more than the average fan would call "minor moves."   Sorry if the truth is too painful.  I'm not anti-Angels in any way.

You are speaking an opinion, not the 'truth'.

Iannetta I can't imagine having all that much value. Aybar is very valuable to this team, no one else can play short, so keep him.

I would put Vargas, Frieri, Howie on the trading block

But Sig, if we trade Vargas, Frieri and Howie on the trading block what does it matter whether Aybar plays short or I play short? The team isn't making the playoffs either way. Might as well be worse and get a better draft pick and more importantly, more prospects who will contribute when the team is ready to compete.

But Sig, if we trade Vargas, Frieri and Howie on the trading block what does it matter whether Aybar plays short or I play short? The team isn't making the playoffs either way. Might as well be worse and get a better draft pick and more importantly, more prospects who will contribute when the team is ready to compete.

I don't actually anticipate a full rebuild, this team is too loaded with contracts to do that. However I do expect us to get younger and still field a competitive team. As far as I know, there is not a single prospect in the minors projected as an everyday SS. We do however have options to replace Kendrick. Lindsey could straight up replace him or Lucho could play third with Callaspo at 2nd, with Cowart eventually taking over for Lucho.

Say we get pitching prospects in the lower minors for Vargas and Downs, Drew Smyly for Frieri, and a major league ready pitching prospect(s) for Howie (I've been saying Zach Lee or Gausman). Our pitching already becomes better and younger, and we maybe have something brewing with what we get for Downs/Vargas. Our lineup would still be good enough to keep us competitive

Here's the thing is that the team would remain competitive. We would have a rotation of:

Weaver

Wilson

Smyly

Williams

Blanton

With Richards for depth and whoever we get for Howie on the cusp of getting called up. Hanson is traded/ non-tendered in this situation btw.

Our lineup would be still solid without Kendrick:

1. Bourjos CF

2. Aybar SS

3. Trout LF

4. Pujols DH

5. Trumbo 1b

6. Hamilton RF

7. Callaspo 3b/2b

8. Ianetta C

9. Lucho/Lindsey 3b/2b