• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Howie Kendrick at the Trade Deadline?

Chuck

Trade Howie Kendrick at the Deadline?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Howie Kendrick for pitching prospects at the deadline?

• Yes, trade him. Promote Taylor Lindsey
    • No, keep him. He's going to win batting titles.

Lindsey does have around an .810 OPS, which for a 21 year-old at Arkansas is pretty good. 

That is a bigtime pitchers' park.

His plate discipline and slugging have improved at each level.

Agreed though that the return had better be solid for any Kendrick trade.

The scouts had better know these players coming here well.  

However, Lindsey does have a problem hitting lefties. His OPS vs RHP: .857. His OPS vs LHP: .631. That's the only fly in the ointment.

Because he's relatively inexpensive with a short contract and we'll need offense from other positions to cover up the Wells Jr. in RF.

Yes and what happens to our pitching when we don't resign Vargas and we non-tender Hanson?

Weaver

Wilson

Williams

Blanton

Richards

Granted we could go FA, but we all know how that works out for us. Trade Howie for Zach Lee or Kevin Gausman. It'll hurt to see a good player on a team friendly contract go, but that is the reason why he will net us a large return

Yup, and we have him signed for under $10 mill through the age 32 season. That doesn't get any better for one of the top players at a position. I would slap the hell out of Dipoto if he traded Howie. By the time his contract comes off the books Lindsey will be ready to go.

Actually, by the time his contract comes off the books, Yarbrough will have been ready to go that year.

Because he's relatively inexpensive with a short contract and we'll need offense from other positions to cover up the Wells Jr. in RF.

But even with his offense we aren't making the playoffs. Does it matter whether we finish 3rd in our division or 5th in the division? In order to improve this team we are going to have to upgrade our assets. The only way to do that is to give up something of value. Howie has a lot of it.

Keeping Howie helps us long-term, so I respectfully disagree with moving him at the trade deadline.

Howie is only signed for 3 (or 4) more years. This team is on pace for 71 wins and getting older (presumably that means getting worse internally), has no farm system and is most likely close to its salary thresh hold. Maybe it's not but we've seen that adding free agents hasn't helped much. This team hasn't been terribly unlucky or injured this season. How do you (or anyone who thinks we should keep this team intact) think we are going to improve by 20+ games in the next three years to help us make the playoffs?

The problem is, this team is NOT getting better long-term without an infusion of talent from the minors. We are not going to be able to trade Pujols or Hamilton. It's just not going to happen. So, barring that, what can be done to get us that minor league (or major league-ready) talent? Howie is the best candidate, because he has that great contract, and because he is raking.

The difference between trading Howie and trading Vargas is that we could very well have a replacement for Howie in Lindsey, and if he doesn't pan out, Yarbrough is only a couple of years away. If we trade Vargas, who steps in? Howie will get us more in trade than Vargas, due to the remaining length of his contract, the amount of the contract, and how well he is doing this year.

Sure, there is a risk that Lindsey and/or Yarbrough don't work out. There is a larger risk in doing nothing.

It's simple arbitrage: buy low, sell high. We've been buying high and selling low lately (Wells, Pujols, Hamilton, GMJ, etc).

It's nothing personal, it's just business.

Lindsey is still an unknown and Howie >>>>>> Callaspo/Jimenez, and since I expect them to want to compete next year, I don't think they'd do it unless it improved the active roster.

IMO, unless they get major league ready talent to fill an area of need or a top rated minor league prospect in return, then no.

The problem is, this team is NOT getting better long-term without an infusion of talent from the minors. We are not going to be able to trade Pujols or Hamilton. It's just not going to happen. So, barring that, what can be done to get us that minor league (or major league-ready) talent? Howie is the best candidate, because he has that great contract, and because he is raking.

The difference between trading Howie and trading Vargas is that we could very well have a replacement for Howie in Lindsey, and if he doesn't pan out, Yarbrough is only a couple of years away. If we trade Vargas, who steps in? Howie will get us more in trade than Vargas, due to the remaining length of his contract, the amount of the contract, and how well he is doing this year.

Sure, there is a risk that Lindsey and/or Yarbrough don't work out. There is a larger risk in doing nothing.

It's simple arbitrage: buy low, sell high. We've been buying high and selling low lately (Wells, Pujols, Hamilton, GMJ, etc).

It's nothing personal, it's just business.

Trade them both. Even with Vargas and one other pitcher this team isn't making the playoffs next year. Especially if we lose Howie. It's time to start giving up wins next year that don't mean anything for wins 3-4 years down the line that may get us into the playoffs.

So Howie may hit .300 and the Angels win 90+ games?

Howie is hitting .320 this year and they aren't. That's my point.

I don't think the he will hit .260 because there is a lot of consistency with baseball and a decent amount of predictability. If this team was close or young and likely to improve I would say hold onto Howie. He's a great player and can be in a 3 year plan. I also don't think the Angels will improve 10+ games next season by trotting out the same team because there is a lot of consistency and predictability in baseball.

Neither of the above scenarios is impossible but both are unlikely.

I may get banned or at least warned for this, but you guys are idiots. Find a new hobby. lol

Yeah, I guess I'm an idiot for pointing out the fallacy of your "Howie has never hit .260 in his life" argument. Since I pointed out that fallacy, and I'm an idiot, what does that make you?

I guarantee the Mariners would give up a lot of pitching prospects for Kendrick.  He would fix a lot for the M's, actually, and they have arms galore in their farm.  

Thinking about it, I'd be surprised if that isn't exactly what both teams have thought about on some level.  

Mariners already have 3 2nd basemen why would they trade arms for Kendrick when they could fill in other positions