• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be our big acquisition?

Stradling

I'd stay away from Gausman on a 5 year deal.  Gausman had a great year, but I suspect this is a contract that a team will greatly regret by year 2 or maybe 3 at most.  Look at Rendon - everyone was stoked that we signed him, and now two years into it, there are a number who are starting to count the years down now, just as we did with Pujols and now Upton.

My preference is Scherzer, simply because even if he tanks, 3 years is much less onerous than 5 years.

All that said, I don't think we'll sign any of them, but rather, I think Minasian will spread the money around as he did last year, opting to attempt to fill multiple holes at once.

While Cobb is in discussions with SF, maybe we still have a shot and can retain him on a 2/20 contract.

Think of it this way, too - if we sign Gausman, the likelihood that we'll re-sign Syndergaard to a significant deal if he bounces back are probably slim to none.  In truth, I'm hoping Syndergaard does bounce back and that he would have enjoyed his time here enough that he'd consider signing a long-term deal, so that our rotation is headlined by Ohtani and Syndergaard for a number of years.

A core of Ohtani, Syndergaard, Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, and soon Detmers, Bachman, maybe Bush, etc - that'd give us a combination of (expensive) star power at the top and a lot of good, young talent in the middle/bottom.

The thing I like about Gausman is his FIP is a good indicator of future success. 

I agree 5 years is too much, but the way I see FA signings is you're always going to regret them at a certain point. Most of them don't work out well. But you're giving them an extra couple years (or more) so you can get the best of them for 3-4 years. 

I think Gausman fits in nicely as a number 3 guy. Having Sandoval and Suarez plus maybe Barria at the back of the rotation is just...muah. That leaves Canning as the number 7 guy, and I think that's pretty neat.

Just now, Stradling said:

Based on how you think he will perform or based on who else we will sign?

I know quiet is good BUT I’m starting to get this nervous feeling that we might actually end up missing out on these pitchers when the bullets start to fly right away. 

I REALLY hope I’m wrong. I completely checked out for the first time since I can remember during the season this year. Didn’t even check box scores the last month or two.

Everyone needs to get on the Carlos Rodon bandwagon with me.

Upside is a young ace who gives us a legit 1-2 punch (with Ohtani) you need in playoff series starting those games 1/2 + games 5/6. 

Yeah yeah, downside is he spends the next three years on the DL.  I know.

Embrace the volatility.  High risk/high reward is our only hope.

1 minute ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Everyone needs to get on the Carlos Rodon bandwagon with me.

Upside is a young ace who gives us a legit 1-2 punch (with Ohtani) you need in playoff series starting those games 1/2 + games 5/6. 

Yeah yeah, downside is he spends the next three years on the DL.  I know.

Embrace the volatility.  High risk/high reward is our only hope.

Since we'll only sign him to a one-year contract, I approve. 

I just love "the sky is falling" folks. 

Like one minute, the Angels are being aggressive and are on track to win the offseason, and then a few big names sign elsewhere and Arte sucks. The Angels had the 7th largest payroll in 2021, I expect them to be right there again in 2022.

If the offseason ends up being say: Syndergaard, Loup, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Story, and Castillo or Sonny Gray, would you all be upset?

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Like one minute, the Angels are being aggressive and are on track to win the offseason, and then a few big names sign elsewhere and Arte sucks. The Angels had the 7th largest payroll in 2021, I expect them to be right there again in 2022.

If the offseason ends up being say: Syndergaard, Loup, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Story, and Castillo or Sonny Gray, would you all be upset?

I think the sky fell years ago. Every offseason, I have a similar approach to you -- don't judge the offseason too early, let the FO do its thing. And every season I see us rolling in with the same piecemealed rotation.

I hope I'm wrong, but this just looks like more of the same.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

That is a helluva lot of ifs and it depends what we give up for Castillo and/or Gray.