• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be our big acquisition?

Stradling

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok, so far we have signed Syndergaard and Loup, but we are not done yet.  Who do you think will be our big name acquisition?  It could be Syndergaard, but it feels different this year.  Tell me what you think.  

No idea who the big signing will be or if there will even be one but they better not be done.  They have added a couple name brands but really haven't moved the needle.   

As it stands now, Syndergaard takes Cobb's spot, sure he's potentially an upgrade but 90+ innings of sub 4.00 ERA had some value.  Loup has been pretty amazing of late but he is cancelled out by potentially losing Iglesias.  

Hopefully they actually start ADDING to the team before they start yapping about being done.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

No idea who the big signing will be or if there will even be one but they better not be done.  They have added a couple name brands but really haven't moved the needle.   

As it stands now, Syndergaard takes Club's spot, sure he's potentially an upgrade but 90+ innings of sub 4.00 ERA had some value.  Loup has been pretty amazing of late but he is cancelled out by potentially losing Iglesias.  

Hopefully they actually start ADDING to the team before they start yapping about being done.

Effing Canadian!

6 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I think their target is Scherzer. They were said to be in on him at the deadline so why would they not be in on him now?

That'd be ideal, but it's hard to envision Scherzer fitting in the budget, unless Arte is genuinely in "F it mode" and wants to spend.  Even in a backloaded deal, Scherzer will probably cost beyond 30mil in the first season.  Our payroll currently sits at 157, which means adding Scherzer alone puts us close to 190.

The only way I'd see it is if they sign him and opt for a cheap closing option, then fill the rest of the gaps (another reliever, backup C, possible SS option) with bargain basement type options.  

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Angels are not targeting Scherzer. There is no money available for his salary. You're going to have to just accept that. 

If we are all going to accept anything, then let’s stick to actual, indisputable facts.

Indisputable fact #1: You have no idea what money is “available” for the Angels to spend this year.

I think it's possible that the Angels pull-off an 'Out of the Box' trade with Oakland for one of their pitchers (Manaea, Montas, Bassett). All three are in the last year of their contracts (I believe) and could be on the trade market. None of them are true TORs but they would be very strong #3s behind Ohtani and Thor. They have all pitched in the AL for several years so they are all familiar with AL teams and batters. Plus their current contracts are all relatively cheap. 

My guess is that Syndergaard is the biggest name acquisition.  I just don't see Minasian going down to the wire on the bigger name SP's and Iglesias.  The potential for ending up with the dregs is too high to play the waiting game with them.  They will be in on them but when he sees the market for mid-range arms start to shrink further, he will get serious about signing someone along the lines of a Jon Gray, a #3 with #2 potential, and pivot to the BP.  I also don't think they'll sign Raisel because his market will be hot and his representation may let bidding go down to the wire.  At some point, knowing that they aren't going to commit to an all out bidding war for the most sought after closer available, they will have to make a decision to cut bait and go after a second tier closer or closer by committee approach.  Loup allows for that being that they can go after a Graveman, or, go after two late innings guys who want to make the jump to closer and let competition settle the closer role among the three.  

Lastly, I don't think we see any top prospects included in a trade at this juncture.  I get the sense that Minasian knows that there will be opportunity to get better trade value in-season than preseason, especially with the lockout uncertainty, and that he wants to have the prospect capital to be in that game as it unfolds.