• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be our big acquisition?

Stradling

Just now, Hubs said:

Scherzer has to be plan A, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for a TOR arm, probably Marquez.

I like the idea of trading for Marquez or Castillo, because while the acquisition cost is going to be significant it just lends itself to being less risky.  If we go all out and sign Scherzer for 3 years and he breaks down, we are too far towards the top of the threshold that course correcting isn’t really possible.  

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like the idea of trading for Marquez or Castillo, because while the acquisition cost is going to be significant it just lends itself to being less risky.  If we go all out and sign Scherzer for 3 years and he breaks down, we are too far towards the top of the threshold that course correcting isn’t really possible.  

Yeah, I only think they need two starters, and some help in the pen. I've always said they will sign one and trade for one. 

I think they need a SS, but maybe they want to wait a year until Upton is out and they know what they have in Davis.

If after this Loup signing, they just resign Iglesias (say 14 per) and add a starter like Stroman (say 21M first year salary?/25M average)...they will have spent all of their available money on pitching, Syndergaard at 21, Loup at 7.5 Iglesias at 14 and Stroman at 21, would be 65M increase and would put the Angels somewhere around 190M payroll. 110 previously committed, Mayers and Stassi and Wade in arbitration at 8, club control x 14 or so at 9, then it's a bit of an increase over their 2021, 10-12 M over.

If they were to acquire Marquez, and then add an OF like Lagares or another journeyman, the investment in payroll stays around 180.

I think it'll be Scherzer. As much as the Dodgers would like to have him back, I think they're too smart to go overboard with a contract for him. They'll go another direction and Arte will go above and beyond to sign him. 

If they couple that with another reliever or two or another cheap SP, I'd be pretty happy. They can go cheap with SS and C at that point.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think it'll be Scherzer. As much as the Dodgers would like to have him back, I think they're too smart to go overboard with a contract for him. They'll go another direction and Arte will go above and beyond to sign him. 

If they couple that with another reliever or two or another cheap SP, I'd be pretty happy. They can go cheap with SS and C at that point.

I'd be happy to have him but a serious decline has to be right around the corner so getting straddled with another brutal contract doesn't sound appealing. I'm Ok with winning now though