• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels renew Trout @ 510K. Agent mad?

Scott34

I cleaned up some shit in this thread and moved it back here. Ladies, try to disagree respectfully. 

Oh and Vegas Mike is banned for 7 days. Next time he gets a 365 day ban. Pretty tired of his act! (Trolling & Internet tough guys won't last here).

Thank you Chuck.

Regarding the Trout situation, when was the last time a rookie got a substantial raise?  Was it Jeter?  It just is not done.  It is a way for the teams to save some money because the players go for the big bucks later on.  At least the first couple of years the teams are protected.

And I am glad to see that Trout is not complaining, just his agent.  He needs to reel his agent in.  Gonna make him look bad.

Thank you Chuck.

We have some good moderators in place here to clean up the mess and calm stuff down if people get out of hand. One thing we won't do this year and going forward is put up with internet DB's who disrespect others not only on here, but talk trash about the players (and their girlfriends). Especially when said GF reads this board and follows us on Twitter. 

The Nats signed him to a 5 year 9.9 M deal that runs through 2015. The Angels will most likely give Trout a lot more than that in a year or two. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harpebr03.shtml#contracts

I'm shocked that Trout's agent thought the Angels should've renewed him for more money. 

I wonder what Trouts agent would say, if the Angels said we will sing him to Harpers contract?  BTW.  Harpers deal is:

11:$0.5M, 12:$0.5M, 13:$0.75M, 14:$0.9M, 15:$1M

With a signing bonus of $6.25 million.  For a number one draft pick.  

Trout got a $1.125 million singing bonus as a #27 pick.  I'm sure Landis will be thrilled to give up his first year of arbitration for $1 million.  

This is how the game is played folks.  Read Mathis' agents views on arbitration.  Teams will try to avoid paying a player X amount, knowing that the baseline will then be that X amount + some the following year.  And continually going up the next 2 years of arbitration.  Anyone ever hear of a contract going down in price during arbitration?  Yes, it's possible.  But the minimum a price can go down per the CBA is 80% of the previous year.  

Everyone should just look at Ryan Howards contract.  Trout will get paid.  

I'm torn on this. 

I can see why people would be upset about this although I think the level of outrage is somewhat humorous. 

The guy had a historic season and they give him a  5% raise and move him from his natural position after he was incredible there last year. 

That said, nothing being done is out of the range of reasonable.  He's got 2 more years to follow of non negotiable salaries and then arb to follow.  Plenty of time to make things right, but it is a bit chancy annoying your superstar franchise player to be.  They could have taken the easy way out and given him 750. 

What the halos have done is to set a standard that they aren't going to break precedent or make a concession even for a player that will is arguably the face of the team.  Landis should actually be happy about that because when it comes time to negotiate big boy numbers, there will be no past favors or winks or handshakes to consider.  It will be all business and his client will sign a deal because he thinks it's what he deserves or he won't.   

There is still plenty of time, but I can't say that I'm all warm and fuzzy about how this went.  Hopefully, it won't matter. 

The overreaction over this is on par with the overreaction regarding his weight. Trout just needs to worry about playing, the money will come in huge amounts. These next few years will pale in comparison to when he's offered a blockbuster contract. 

I wish I could LIKE this ten times. 

I am surprised that some here are making it a bigger deal tban it is.

He won't resign with the Angels guaranteed.  Don't fall in love with this dude.  He is going home.  BOOK IT.

Old-@ss Hamels + Halladay + Lee + Trout = #awesome #jerseyshoresucks

I cleaned up some shit in this thread and moved it back here. Ladies, try to disagree respectfully. 

Oh and Vegas Mike is banned for 7 days. Next time he gets a 365 day ban. Pretty tired of his act! (Trolling & Internet tough guys won't last here).

We have some good moderators in place here to clean up the mess and calm stuff down if people get out of hand. One thing we won't do this year and going forward is put up with internet DB's who disrespect others not only on here, but talk trash about the players (and their girlfriends). Especially when said GF reads this board and follows us on Twitter. 

Nice work. I though my brilliant slightly-buzzed Reagins conspiracy post was lost forever as a result of this thread being deleted. Selective thread cleaning = nice job moderators :)

I'm torn on this. 

I can see why people would be upset about this although I think the level of outrage is somewhat humorous. 

The guy had a historic season and they give him a  5% raise and move him from his natural position after he was incredible there last year. 

That said, nothing being done is out of the range of reasonable.  He's got 2 more years to follow of non negotiable salaries and then arb to follow.  Plenty of time to make things right, but it is a bit chancy annoying your superstar franchise player to be.  They could have taken the easy way out and given him 750. 

What the halos have done is to set a standard that they aren't going to break precedent or make a concession even for a player that will is arguably the face of the team.  Landis should actually be happy about that because when it comes time to negotiate big boy numbers, there will be no past favors or winks or handshakes to consider.  It will be all business and his client will sign a deal because he thinks it's what he deserves or he won't.   

There is still plenty of time, but I can't say that I'm all warm and fuzzy about how this went.  Hopefully, it won't matter. 

The overreaction over this is on par with the overreaction regarding his weight. Trout just needs to worry about playing, the money will come in huge amounts. These next few years will pale in comparison to when he's offered a blockbuster contract. 

I still think they could've given him two wells-games worth of compensation as a salary bump (read: still less than $750k, still altogether more than 10x my annual salary) Especially now that Trout has caught up to Wells re: the BMI situation. 

I like this forum.

#notdrunk

#lying

I remember a similar conversation regarding the Angels stalemate with Weaver when he was drafted and how, because the Angels "won" by "only" paying him $4 mil, he was going to really stick it to them when he became a free agent...then he went out and signed a team friendly contract when the moment arrived.  The only one slighted here was Trout's agent and, if Trout isn't an F'n idiot, he won't let any perceived slights effect his performance in 2013 where he can really lay the groundwork for a longterm deal that could hopefully cover him through his first years of free agency.  

I remember a similar conversation regarding the Angels stalemate with Weaver when he was drafted and how, because the Angels "won" by "only" paying him $4 mil, he was going to really stick it to them when he became a free agent...then he went out and signed a team friendly contract when the moment arrived.  The only one slighted here was Trout's agent and, if Trout isn't an F'n idiot, he won't let any perceived slights effect his performance in 2013 where he can really lay the groundwork for a longterm deal that could hopefully cover him through his first years of free agency.  

Trout should switch agents to Boras, but only under the condition that Boras give up his box seats to Trout's family.

Its not a great comparison to the average career, but if Joe Schmoe is outperforming everyone in the industry and gets far less of a raise than the best comps have gotten in recent years, I think Joe Schmoe would be a bit disappointed. 

In the last few years, Joe Schmoe HAS been getting less of a raise than the best comps used to get. Sometimes, Joe Schmoe has not gotten a raise at all, and has seen his actual purchasing power decline. Fact.

But when talking about ballplayers, recent trends have seen players get their first big fat contracts when they've gotten closer to arbitration eligibility (usually within a year of their first arbitration hearing). THAT'S when Trout will be rewarded for being what he is. Coincidentally, that will also be at the end of Vernon's contract. Trout will be compensated handsomely, and it will be the Angels who do so.

Considering the agent also brought up how Trout was also disappointed to have to move off of CF, I think the agent is starting to voice either his or Trout's views of perceived slights.  I realize that the minimum has gone up and that he's making a good deal of money but sorry, just seems a bit short-sighted of the Halos, not to comp him even a little bit.

I also think it’s just smart financial sense for the Angels to wait at least another year before backing up the Brinks truck for him. He was phenomenal last year and I’m pretty sure he will be this year as well. But as an organization you never want to overreact until you have a better idea of what you are paying for. In any case, it will end up being better for him in the long run.

It's kind of funny talking about saving money with Trout - around $200K - when Wells and Hamilton are making a combined $45 million plus.  I'd guess that on the Trout promotional days at the stadium alone the team will make up any extra contract expense.  

I don't think it really matters much, but acting like it's some great savings to the team is ridiculous.

That was an interesting read, kind of surprised that I got through whole thing. 

We all know the weight issue is the reason behind the low ball offer.

But seriously, I see this as a non-issue. Like others have said Trout we get his soon enough.

Also want to give a shout out to all the overreactive posters here at Angelswin, you guys really take it to a "Ho Notha Levo".