• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels renew Trout @ 510K. Agent mad?

Scott34

Yes I can get the argument that $1m would be a record. Did he not though have as great of a rookie season as there ever was? Even better than Jeter's, who got FOUR times his rookie salary in his 2nd season

We aren't talking Trumbo here.

You really think the Angels care what Jeter made?

Yes I can get the argument that $1m would be a record. Did he not though have as great of a rookie season as there ever was? Even better than Jeter's, who got FOUR times his rookie salary in his 2nd season

We aren't talking Trumbo here.

Again, the more appropriate comparison is Howard.  Not Jeter.  

for the 2007 season.  Howard got the record of $0.9 million.  In 2006 he had a shash line of .313/.425/.659/1.084 with a 5.0 WAR.  In 2007, he hit .268/.392/.584/.976 with a 2.8 WAR.  He then took the Phillies to arbitration and won $10 million vs $7 million.  

Here is where salaries never go down.  Only up.  

In 2008, his slash line was .251/.339/.543/.882 and a 1.5 WAR.  Even with that, in 2009, he avoided arbitration with the Phillies where the offers were $18 million vs $14 million, and signed a 3 year $54 million contract that bought out his 3 remaining arbitration years.

He went on to sign an extention buying out 5 years of free agency in 2010 after having a slash line of .279/.360/.571/.931 with a 3.5 WAR in 2009.  

Now, he probably has the second worst contract in the MLB.  Putting up a huge .718 OPS with a -1.2 WAR last season.  

They should have bumped him a bit more. However, it will not affect anything in the future. In fact the one that made this a story is his agent. Seems Mike would have preferred he had just kept quiet. It would seem that the Angels would have taken into consideration that this may become a story due to the insignificant raise. I would have handled it differently and gave the guy a little more to avoid the publicity. It is silly to assume that this will affect anything long term and shouldnt be the big deal that the media is trying to make it out to be..

Mike Trout is going to be a big money player at some point, either through free agency or extension.

1) The Angels ONLY negotiating power comes from his club control, particularly in the pre-arb years. Negotiations start at last seasons pay level. Tripling his salary this year likely means tripling it again next year and so on. The Angels would have set the precedence themselves and Trout's agent would point that out in negotiations. The higher expected salary would also give his agent greater negotiating strength when discussing an extension. When the price gets too high teams will let their players walk. As it stands right now, Mike isn't yet filthy rich, he has to have SOME sort of a budget, he can't buy the mansion just yet, and he has to wait until he signs a long term deal for that. This is the Angels true strength in negotiation, and giving him more money today weakens that position.

2) Trout is 21, and he is a super star. I don't see the harm in telling him he isn't better than everyone else. This could hurt his ego a bit, but it is also better for his development as a person and an adult, who they will have to deal with later on in free agency.

3) When Trout becomes a free agent he will be like everyone else and go where the money is. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll love to weather in SoCal so much he is willing too takke a few million less to stick around.

4) The Angels are only obligated to pay him league minimum for the season, anything above that IS a reward.

He deserves the biggest raise for a second year player TBH. 1 million bucks for Trout is still highway robbery for the Angels...and Trout and his agent would have nothing to complain about. This is a cheap move by Arte/Dipoto. And that's coming from a guy who has been very happy with the FO since Dipoto took over

Spent the better part of "fellowship" time at church this morning talking Angels fans off the cliff about the whole issue. The first came from my Asst. Pastor, who is a die hard Tigers fan, who greeted me with, "well the Angels just guaranteed that Trout won't be around long."  It ridiculous.  Its his agent that played this thing out in the press and its the fans who read it and don't think twice and believe that the agent is the mouthpiece for the player. 

Trout has handled himself with grace and class when it comes to the press.  The whole speculation of what will happen over the next 5 years is ridiculous as well.  Trout will get his due.  He has another season like last year and my bet is they lock him up long term and arbitration never even becomes an issue and free agency could even be put off.

He deserves the biggest raise for a second year player TBH. 1 million bucks for Trout is still highway robbery for the Angels...and Trout and his agent would have nothing to complain about. This is a cheap move by Arte/Dipoto. And that's coming from a guy who has been very happy with the FO since Dipoto took over

This coming from a guy thats never had to budget more than his lunch money.

So, you guys want the Angels to fork over more money this season?  Can't we wait until next year to spend a bazillion dollars on Trout?

I think the vast majority on here felt a raise of 100K would not have broken anybody's bank, and would have been better received by all involved (fans, media, etc).

I cleaned up some shit in this thread and moved it back here. Ladies, try to disagree respectfully. 

Oh and Vegas Mike is banned for 7 days. Next time he gets a 365 day ban. Pretty tired of his act! (Trolling & Internet tough guys won't last here).

I've been doing the Internet Tough Guy act since I got here.  I don't think anyone has noticed though :-/

His agent sounds more upset than he does.

From what I understand agent commissions are something like 5%. Getting a $1k payrise when you're only making $24k to start is a bigger deal than going from $490-$510k .

That plus I don't know of any other major players represented by Landis; Landis is probably worried Trout is going to switch to Boras immediately before signing a 9 figure deal.

Over time he'll make that much from Arte. The Angels owe it to Trout after the way he saved their season last year

Saved their season? That 3rd place finish was just what everyone had hoped for.

Saved us from being the Marlins, yes.

You know where I stand on Scioscia and the third place finish IEBRUIN

Scioscia has nothing to do with this and nobody was happy finishing third. The season wasn't saved by any stretch of the imagination.