• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels renew Trout @ 510K. Agent mad?

Scott34

Hard feelings and all that aside, the Halos could have given him 100-150K more and this would be a non-issue. It is an issue not b/c of fans, but because of previous precedents by other teams which the Angels chose not to follow. If you really think this does not sting Trout just a little, your wrong, IMO. Do I believe it will impact future negotiations? No. The Halos could have just given him the 15-20% raise above minimum and would have looked a lot better from a P.R. stanpoint. I think they dropped the ball here.

Trout on salary: "I'm just happy to be in the lineup... My time will come. I'm concentrating on 1 thing & that's getting to the postseason."

A wise young man. But if he has another great season, they had better give him a significant raise next year, or lock him up long-term. I don't want to see him in pinstripes a few years down the line.

Hard feelings and all that aside, the Halos could have given him 100-150K more and this would be a non-issue. It is an issue not b/c of fans, but because of previous precedents by other teams which the Angels chose not to follow. If you really think this does not sting Trout just a little, your wrong, IMO. Do I believe it will impact future negotiations? No. The Halos could have just given him the 15-20% raise above minimum and would have looked a lot better from a P.R. stanpoint. I think they dropped the ball here.

Totally agree with this.  The ROI in goodwill & positive PR far outweighs the miniscule cost.  150K represents 0.1% of payroll.  Almost makes me think it was an intentional act designed to generate interest through controversy.

I also think it’s just smart financial sense for the Angels to wait at least another year before backing up the Brinks truck for him. He was phenomenal last year and I’m pretty sure he will be this year as well. But as an organization you never want to overreact until you have a better idea of what you are paying for. In any case, it will end up being better for him in the long run.

And even another year might not help.  Look at Ryan Howard.  He is the gold standard when it comes to arbitration.  

2007 1 year/$0.9M (record for player with less than 2 years of service)

2008 1 year/$10M (won in arbitration with Philadelphia 2/21/08 ($10M-$7M)(Super 2))

2009-11 3 years/$54M (avoided arbitration, $18M-$14M)

2010 signed a 5 year/$125M extension.  

This is what the Angels are trying to avoid.  And Landis I'm sure is trying to make it so that it's very difficult to avoid the comparisons.  That's why he wanted Trout to be paid more for his second year.  

I am not that concerned over this. Arte has been known to pay premium for players that deserve it. I am sure another season like Trout had last year and the Angels will be paying big bucks. I would be considered it Jackie Autry or Disney still owned the team and was low balling Trout.

Maybe if Trout were older and had given his best years to another organization, then he'd get the big bucks.

"I'm a center fielder, obviously," Trout said. "My main position is center field, but if you're an outfielder, you should be able to play all three. I think it's going to help me get reads off the bat. It's going to be a fun adjustment for me."

Asked to characterize his feelings on the move, Trout would not bite at the words angry or disappointed.

"I'm just happy to be in the lineup," he said.

Trout, who last year started 29 games in left and finished dozens of others when Bourjos came in for defense, said he's been working this spring about equally at center field and left field.

"I feel fine out there," he said. "Just playing some games and getting some experience out there would definitely help me."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/trout-498058-center-field.html

So Trout is at least still saying the right things.

#Angels MGR Mike Scioscia on Trout CF/LF: "What's best for the team is what's best for the player. Mike is gonna be a CF, no doubt .(more)

Scioscia (cont) ... But right now his versatility is going to make us a better team. He will play LF and CF." #Angels Mike Trout

Totally agree with this.  The ROI in goodwill & positive PR far outweighs the miniscule cost.  150K represents 0.1% of payroll.  Almost makes me think it was an intentional act designed to generate interest through controversy.

It's in line with the pay bumps for all players within the past 10 years or so. I think someone in the thread posted the Angels rookies contracts and bumps.

I would have offered Trout at least $1m.

What's the harm in doubling the salary of a player who put up one of the greatest rookie seasons ever? $1m in today's MLB world is still very cheap. BUT it doesn't basically say "We are simply renewing you." to a player who had an historic rookie season and has historic tools.

Now, if he does duplicate 2012 in 2013 and Arte offers him a big contract, then it's a moot point.

I would have offered Trout at least $1m.

What's the harm in doubling the salary of a player who put up one of the greatest rookie seasons ever? $1m in today's MLB world is still very cheap. BUT it doesn't basically say "We are simply renewing you." to a player who had an historic rookie season and has historic tools.

Now, if he does duplicate 2012 in 2013 and Arte offers him a big contract, then it's a moot point.

$1 million would be a record for a player that has less than 2 years service time.  See my previous post on the previous record holder, and what he got, and you will see what the harm would be.  I don't think any team wants to go down that road.

Trout showed up to camp fat as he knew the Angels were going to totally disrespect him. Rumor has it he already signed a contract with the Phillies starting with the 2018 season.

Kidding

Seriously, no idea how the club following the CBA with pay is an issue. Relax kids.

Could have been a big marketing point earner for the halos. Jerry could have bumped him to a mil.

"Mike didn't win the MVP, but he deserves to be making money like one. We absolutely felt mike needed to be a seven figure player."

He could have joked "if he has another season like he did last season, we may have to add another zero to that and make him an 8 figure player."

Yes I can get the argument that $1m would be a record. Did he not though have as great of a rookie season as there ever was? Even better than Jeter's, who got FOUR times his rookie salary in his 2nd season

We aren't talking Trumbo here.

It could create a Ryan Howard type of situation in Trout's first arb. eligible year (if he's not signed to a long term contract before that). In Howard's rookie year, he made 355 K. Then, the Phillies gave him 900K. In his first arb. eligible year (2008), he got 10 M. In his second arb. year, he got 15 M.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/howarry01.shtml

Trout is going to make a ton of money in the very near future.