• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Things you'd like to see in the 2nd half...

I'm not talking about the mega trades here and the obvious wishes like Shohei's 60 bombs and a WS berth, but more things the Angels can do internally to improve, roster moves and such like. I'd like to see these:

Thaiss called up and given a chance at back-up catcher - I mean Suzuki has been so bad, what is there to lose?

Ward given more time to settle into RF/LF to see if he can make himself a 4OF option next year and take pressure off Marsh’s development. If he can prove himself as a major league hitter he will be a nice back-up or trade piece.

Rengifo given a month settled at SS to see if he can make himself an option for next year at SS or as a 4IF who can hit - yes, I know he’s been rubbish and a lot of you won’t agree, but I believe in giving young players an extended look in their best position to give them time to properly settle (see Ward above). If he can hit anywhere near like he has in AAA recently he could be enough to keep Arte out of the SS free-agent sweepstakes this year, and that means more $$$ for pitching. If he doesn't, back to AAA he goes and we're in that sweepstakes or moving Fletch and buying in a 2B.

Marsh called up (and perform better than Adell did). Not expecting miracles, just competence would be nice.

C.Rod to come back up stretched out as a starter with a more varied pitch mix.

Detmers to get a cup of coffee in the pen.

Six fairly simple things that would really help us understand what we will need for next year. Oh yeah, I want to see some good baseball in the second half too.

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Well, then you're going to be disappointed.  He's not eligible to come back until the 17th and they've already said he'll need to do a rehab stint first (at a still TBD location/length of time).

I should’ve worded that better—I’d like to see him return by/before the end of the month

The bullpen needs a solid upgrade.  Two solid late innings guys need to be acquired.   Mayers is pitching like a 4th option currently anyway.

DO NOT bring in Cishek anymore with men on base.

DO NOT waste Wantz.  Give him a chance!

Only play Rengifo in the INF for the rest of the season, now that they added Adam Eaton.

If Reds fall back the next two weeks, try to pull off a deal for Castillo.

50 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Well, then you're going to be disappointed.  He's not eligible to come back until the 17th and they've already said he'll need to do a rehab stint first (at a still TBD location/length of time).

I have tickets for the game on the 17th. would be great to see Trout. time to rub Buddha's belly get some mojo going!

I would like to see the Angels address their needs internally. That's it. 

They need a backup catcher, promote Thaiss. 

They need another SP, promote Barria. Keep Sandoval and Suarez in the rotation. 

They need bullpen help, see what Wantz does, try promoting Oliver Ortega. Convert lower tier SP prospects to RP like Davis Daniel, Aaron Hernandez and Robinson Pina.

They need a utility man, use Rengifo, particularly in the infield. 

And most of all, maintain depth by keeping your higher end prospects (Marsh, Detmers, Adell, Rodriguez, Bachman etc...) In the minor leagues and ready for deployment in 2022 and beyond. 

Better fundamental defense

Less walks from our pitchers, especially leading off innings, and with 2 outs.

When the shift is being used, pitchers that can actually hit the spots they need to, so the shift won’t look so stupid (this is a pipe dream)

Dylan Bundy revert back to his 2020 form and actually contribute something to the pitching staff.

Production from the September call ups to give us a glimpse of the future of the organization.

I’d like to see Detmers and Marsh at some point. 

As much as I want Thaiss to be the back-up catcher, it’s hard to imagine he’d be a marked improvement behind the plate (at least defensively) over someone like Suzuki who has been catching for like twenty years. I’d rather he come up and maybe replace someone like Ward if he continues to struggle, and gets occasional time catching. Hard to see playing time for him now really.

6 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

I'm not talking about the mega trades here and the obvious wishes like Shohei's 60 bombs and a WS berth, but more things the Angels can do internally to improve, roster moves and such like. I'd like to see these:

Thaiss called up and given a chance at back-up catcher - I mean Suzuki has been so bad, what is there to lose?

Ward given more time to settle into RF/LF to see if he can make himself a 4OF option next year and take pressure off Marsh’s development. If he can prove himself as a major league hitter he will be a nice back-up or trade piece.

Rengifo given a month settled at SS to see if he can make himself an option for next year at SS or as a 4IF who can hit - yes, I know he’s been rubbish and a lot of you won’t agree, but I believe in giving young players an extended look in their best position to give them time to properly settle (see Ward above). If he can hit anywhere near like he has in AAA recently he could be enough to keep Arte out of the SS free-agent sweepstakes this year, and that means more $$$ for pitching. If he doesn't, back to AAA he goes and we're in that sweepstakes or moving Fletch and buying in a 2B.

Marsh called up (and perform better than Adell did). Not expecting miracles, just competence would be nice.

Six fairly simple things that would really help us understand what we will need for next year. Oh yeah, I want to see some good baseball in the second half too.

Good stuff @WicketMaiden.

I'll add....

Mike Trout having a monster second half. 

Rendon and Upton staying healthy and productive. 

TRADES at the deadline. Bring in 2-3 good bullpen pieces and maybe a starter like Scherzer if the team is red hot heading toward the deadline... 

Suarez and Sandoval to have continued success on the mound. 

Canning to look more like the guy we saw in 2019/2020. 

I want the remainder of the games before the deadline to be definitive.  

If they're not going to be within 3 games of the 2nd WC by the end of the month then I'd rather make it clear that they should sell.  I'd prefer the former as I'd like the team to have a chance but if not, get some value out of their expiring assets.  

Pitchers not getting pulled after 6 innings and 85 pitches.

Eaton playing 5+ games a week with an .850 OPS.

Ohtani playing the field in NL parks when not pitching.

Rendon leading the AL in BBs and 2Bs in the 2nd half.

Upton getting double digit SBs in the 2nd half.

Angels acquire Danny Duffy from the Royals and Paul Fry from the Orioles.

Edited by HanfordGuy

17 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

17 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Wins.

you win