• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 MLB draft thread

I'm certainly not in a position to be critical of the draft.  The guys making the picks have spent months on this and it does make some sense to go the route they did considering it seems there were more draft eligible college players this year than usual.  Plus, the real proof will come with how they use their development process to make some of these guys major leaguers like they did with Detmers.  

It's interesting that several other teams pretty much went down the same path including ones that typically draft very well.  

This has been a fairly weird draft so far from my perspective.  Not just for the halos.  

33 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm certainly not in a position to be critical of the draft.  The guys making the picks have spent months on this and it does make some sense to go the route they did considering it seems there were more draft eligible college players this year than usual.  Plus, the real proof will come with how they use their development process to make some of these guys major leaguers like they did with Detmers.  

It's interesting that several other teams pretty much went down the same path including ones that typically draft very well.  

This has been a fairly weird draft so far from my perspective.  Not just for the halos.  

Good points.

I’m a little underwhelmed so far…I get that upper-level pitching is a need, but college pitchers for the first ten picks seems a little excessive, especially as I watched a couple decent catchers go in that span…we have other needs on the farm still. So drafting ten guys, a handful of which seem like relievers, feels a little simplistic. That said, I totally understand why they did that given our need for upper level pitching, especially since dealing Bradish, Mattson, Peek, Stallings, and Brnovich away. The whole farm really lacks high-upside bullpen talent and perhaps they addressed that today. 

Hoping the 5-10 picks come cheap and the Angels can gamble a bit at #11 tomorrow and try to lure a top HS prospect away. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Good points.

I’m a little underwhelmed so far…I get that upper-level pitching is a need, but college pitchers for the first ten picks seems a little excessive, especially as I watched a couple decent catchers go in that span…we have other needs on the farm still. So drafting ten guys, a handful of which seem like relievers, feels a little simplistic. That said, I totally understand why they did that given our need for upper level pitching, especially since dealing Bradish, Mattson, Peek, Stallings, and Brnovich away. The whole farm really lacks high-upside bullpen talent and perhaps they addressed that today. 

Hoping the 5-10 picks come cheap and the Angels can gamble a bit at #11 tomorrow and try to lure a top HS prospect away. 

I think simplistic is a good term to describe my impression as well.  Other terms might be obvious, conservative, not creative.  But this is Minasian's first draft.  The interesting part to me is that he still had Swanson and this was very much unlike any of the other Swanson drafts.  It's hard to process if that means anything at this point.   I'm hoping that they've found a bit of a key to unlocking certain pitchers abilities and drafted accordingly. 

From going early on athletic position players to heavy on college pitchers.  It could be the nature of the available pool.  Or a big shift in tone.  Or that he's getting his directives from up top to save dough.  Who knows.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I think simplistic is a good term to describe my impression as well.  Other terms might be obvious, conservative, not creative.  But this is Minasian's first draft.  The interesting part to me is that he still had Swanson and this was very much unlike any of the other Swanson drafts.  It's hard to process if that means anything at this point.   I'm hoping that they've found a bit of a key to unlocking certain pitchers abilities and drafted accordingly. 

From going early on athletic position players to heavy on college pitchers.  It could be the nature of the available pool.  Or a big shift in tone.  Or that he's getting his directives from up top to save dough.  Who knows.  

It does seem like there are a handful of breakout pitchers down in the farm this year: off the top of my head guys like Ryan Smith, Brent Killam, Kyle Tyler, Cooper Criswell and possibly add Coleman Crow to that list too? That is also not including guys who were already top prospects like Detmers and Daniel. Maybe they did find something that led to all these strong performances in the rotation.

Edited by rafibomb

nLHd4jNn_x96.jpg

𝓢𝓲𝓰𝓷𝓮𝓭 Joey Walsh is an Angel! #WeBelieveMLB_Teams_2021_LAA.png

Joey Walsh

Position: Relief Pitcher

Bats: Left  •  Throws: Left

6-1235lb (185cm, 106kg)

Born: October 5, 1997 (Age: 23-281d) in Plymouth, MA us

School: Boston College (Chestnut Hill, MA)

Full Name: Joseph David Walsh

View Player Info from the B-R Bullpen

8 minutes ago, John Smith said:

nLHd4jNn_x96.jpg

Joey Walsh

6-1235lb (185cm, 106kg)

200w.gif?cid=82a1493ba334sycypniffw74tgi

rVQW0Gvh_x96.jpg

CHECK THIS OUT….. Congratulations to TOP 12 Rubio Long Snapper Harrison Goebel (UT, 2015) on signing a contract to play baseball for the Los Angeles Angels! Now that is what I call multi-talented! Nice work Goebel! #RubioFamily #TheFactory

Harrison Goebel

• P
  • B/T: R/R
  • 6' 6"/245

39 minutes ago, John Smith said:

nLHd4jNn_x96.jpg

Joey Walsh

6-1235lb (185cm, 106kg)

Cool.  5.85 career ERA in college, K's less than 1 per inning, gives up more than 1 hit per inning, walks over 5 per 9 IP.  Don't see much chatter about him pre-draft.

29 minutes ago, John Smith said:

rVQW0Gvh_x96.jpg

CHECK THIS OUT….. Congratulations to TOP 12 Rubio Long Snapper Harrison Goebel (UT, 2015) on signing a contract to play baseball for the Los Angeles Angels! Now that is what I call multi-talented! Nice work Goebel! #RubioFamily #TheFactory

Harrison Goebel

• P
  • B/T: R/R
  • 6' 6"/245

Throwing darts to see what sticks!  I guess that's typical for non-drafted signees.  Doesn't even look like this guy pitched this year.  All I could find was stats for 20 IP last year for a college called St. Martin's.