• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 MLB draft thread

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

and that's really the sense I get here.  Not actual scouting.  Like they didn't prep all that well for their fantasy draft and they're going straight off the cheat sheet someone gave them from one of the analytics fantasy sites.   

Any word on if scouts will be added in the off-season?

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I do like the first 2 picks but at this point it's like "hey at least one of these guys has to work out, right?"

I like our second pick a lot.  And our 4th.  Still a little concerned about Bachman and his injury risk. We're in the phase right now where you're saving pool money anyway.  The 11-20 might tell us more.  But I don't think it's gonna be much different.  I really felt there was a chance to got deep on the scouting side for this draft and make some interesting HS picks in round 5-10 or even up to 12.  Not guys I know but guys that a legit scouting department would if they had one.  I'm probably being unfair but no HS players in the first 8 rounds?  That reeks of just not feeling confident because of a lack of resources vs. intention.  The old 'well I guess this is our only choice' sort of mentality which is what makes it feel kind of Dipoto like.  

Hopefully the big difference is that the criteria JD and team used is much different than that of Minasian.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

and that's really the sense I get here.  Not actual scouting.  Like they didn't prep all that well for their fantasy draft and they're going straight off the cheat sheet someone gave them from one of the analytics fantasy sites.   

Remember months ago when I said I was worried about us going hard off numbers in a year where numbers might be deceptive?   

Here we are.   At least its all pitchers where spin rates and velocity translates ... But geesh...

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Hopefully the big difference is that the criteria JD and team used is much different than that of Minasian.  

JD went after a ton of pitchability types with mediocre radar gun readings from third rate conferences.  So, there does appear to be a difference at least on the surface.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

JD went after a ton of pitchability types with mediocre radar gun readings from third rate conferences.  So, there does appear to be a difference at least on the surface.

Yep.

4 of our first 7 picks are from the SEC (the best conference in the country) and 1 from the ACC. 

Just now, Lou said:

Seems like everyone likes the picks. 

That's great.  not intentionally trying to throw cold water on this.  We won't know for at least a couple years.  I appreciate a little risk in the draft because you trust your scouts.  Maybe that's not the way to go.  Maybe pure analytics is the way to go assuming that's what going on.  I don't even know for sure.  My guess is we're not gonna get a Crow or Kochanowicz and that might be ok.  Considering we have no idea if they'll work out.  

Like I mentioned earlier, maybe we'll have a great pen in 2-3 years.  That wouldn't make me unhappy.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

That's great.  not intentionally trying to throw cold water on this.  We won't know for at least a couple years.  I appreciate a little risk in the draft because you trust your scouts.  Maybe that's not the way to go.  Maybe pure analytics is the way to go assuming that's what going on.  I don't even know for sure.  My guess is we're not gonna get a Crow or Kochanowicz and that might be ok.  Considering we have no idea if they'll work out.  

Like I mentioned earlier, maybe we'll have a great pen in 2-3 years.  That wouldn't make me unhappy.  

Can't that be said about every team's draft?