• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 MLB draft thread

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So..   I've had some time to scratch beneath the surface.   As I said prior to the draft, this was IMO going to be more Eppler's final draft than Minasians first draft -- nothing that happened in the draft really makes me think differently.  They essentially picked up where the last two drafts left off -- adding as many arms as possible.  Eppler for most of his first few years mined left and right for high upside, high risk position players both in the draft and internationally.  Pretty much every pre-season publication out there (yes including the ones that ranked them in the bottom third), talked up the upsides and exciting potential of the system, and it's extreme youth.   They have 55 shortstops and OFers age 21 or younger it seems, adding older/more advanced pitchers makes a lot of sense as far as balancing things goes.

I still don't really like having gone exclusively after pitching, but it makes sense and unlike the JD drafts of old (save for our third rounder), pretty much all these guys have a plus pitch or two and some upsides.  In some ways I think they may have been attempting to accelerate their "failed starter" RP corps by targeting guys with out pitches..  Maybe more importantly asking some people in other organizations they all pretty much feel the Angels day three picks were very quietly awesome and apparently a lot of people are extremely high on the kid from PR being converted to catcher, a Cinci scout comped him to Javy Baez in the sense that he's got mad exit velos and potential power while being a hacker ... "he misses, but when he connects he wrecks shit".  He's raw and has a pretty high crap out chance but apparently the only thing that kept him from being a more higher profile player is his size.  He apparently graded at the 90% in every category save for his pop times (87.9%).  The biggest knock about him apparently is that "he's not as physically talented as the numbers seem to indicate".   So.. basically, he's not 6'2' 190 with room to grow.

This draft will always be about Bachman over Rocker and again, while I'm not a fan of all pitchers there really weren't a ton of reaches..  It's about as safe a group of prospects as they have had in the last 10 years while still having potential upside.

they could be under slot for all of their top 10 which would make some sense for having a great third day in that there were a few guys who the Angels picked that seemed to drop from the earlier rounds due to price.  So if they sign everyone, then they got a handful of additional 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders assuming they played their cards right.  

I posted some of the combine info on Torres and he was at the top of all the exit velo stuff.  Let's hope he make enough contact to actually show that off.  I've got a sneaky good feeling about him.  Surprised someone wouldn't have taken a shot at him in the late teens.  

Wouldn't say I'm hugely optimistic about this draft from anything other than the standpoint of it really being a reliever draft.  They kinda cornered the market on 1-2 pitch, big bodied, velo guys.  

20 minutes ago, John Smith said:

FikM2Hlu_x96.jpg

7th-rder Ryan Costeiu signs w/ for $222,500 (pick 201 value = $229,700). Arkansas RHP, reliever w/plus changeup, fastball up to 95 mph, mixes in a curveball.

d91.gif

Whenever I see a John Smith post I know it's going to be good

3 hours ago, John Smith said:

aoYsqniK_x96.jpg

The #Angels signed 1st round RHP Sam Bachman for $3,847,500. Slot value for the 9th pick is $4,949,100. A $1,101,600 under slot deal. #MLBDraft

Maybe they are going to throw some above slot money to Mason Albright, the HS Lefty from IMG. He committed to Virginia Tech.

https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=478296

I'm not sure if anyone read this, but the Angels are using a sort of "try-out" system for our draft picks and UDFA signings to see who impresses enough to be assigned to one of our affiliates for the rest of the season. Very interesting. It is a part of this article talking about one of our UDFA's.

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/ut-tylers-mcmillan-signs-free-agent-deal-with-angels/article_4c8a4f02-e4f1-11eb-95fd-47b4a2bd0138.html

As a free agent signee, McMillan will report to the Angels mini-camp in Arizona on July 20 alongside fellow draft picks and free agent signees from the organization. McMillan will compete amongst those draft picks and signees in a series of workouts and scrimmages in hopes of earning the opportunity to join one of the Angels minor league affiliate teams for the remainder of the 2021 season, a decision which will be made by the organization on July 24.

Edited by rafibomb

FikM2Hlu_x96.jpg

5th-rder Brett Kerry signs w/ for $300k (pick 141 value = $390,400). South Carolina RHP, fastball improved & hit 95-96 mph this spring w/good riding life, decent secondary stuff, lot of strikes. 2.15 ERA, 84/10 K/BB ratio in 54.1 IP.

#12 Mason Albright signs for $1,247,500 ($1,122,500 over allotment)                      
12th-rder signs w/ for $1.25 million ($1,125,000 counts vs pool). New record for post-10th-rder in pool era, surpasses $1.2 million by Chad McClanahan (Brewers, 11th rd, 2016). Florida HS LHP, nice feel for three pitches & deception. Virginia Tech recruit.

image.png

Edited by John Smith