• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 MLB draft thread

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Isnt it crazy that the high school kid is the one that goes over? Youd think college arms would be more expensive.

This isn't all that unusual.  HSers kinda have more leverage (especially if they're drafted lower than they feel they should have been), because they can always go to college and try to improve their draft standing.  If someone drops due to perceived signability issues, etc., then a team can swoop in, offer them way above-slot money, and try to get them not to go to college.  Seems like that's what happened here.

5 hours ago, John Smith said:

3rd-rder Landon Marceaux signs w/

for $767,800 (full pick 80 value). Louisiana State RHP, intelligent competitor who pounds the strike zone, downer curveball is best pitch, commands low-90s fastball well, also mixes in slider & changeup.

I know nothing about this guy but I’m gonna make a bold prediction that he adds 2-3+ mph of velo to his fastball in short order.  I betting they see more than just a back of the rotation max for this guy.   

I would have thought he’d go under slot and the fact that he didn’t has me curious 

2 hours ago, John Smith said:
#12 Mason Albright signs for $1,247,500 ($1,122,500 over allotment)                      

image.png

This makes me think that Mason Albright has a big future and if he committed to college that he'd easily be a first round pick his junior year. 

Really excited for this kid. This should be fun.

45 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I know nothing about this guy but I’m gonna make a bold prediction that he adds 2-3+ mph of velo to his fastball in short order.  I betting they see more than just a back of the rotation max for this guy.   

I would have thought he’d go under slot and the fact that he didn’t has me curious 

There are a lot of guys in the minors throwing harder than they did a year ago. I agree and think it’s a very safe bet. 

51 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Have a real good feeling about this guy too. Seems like the type of guy comps to our own that we’ve seen take a step forward this year.

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I’m only making that bold prediction because I want it to be true. Cuz otherwise I thought the pick was pretty meh. 

I see a guy that they anticipate moving quickly and being a capable #5 type….underwhelming for the pick but could use the cost-effective option sooner rather than later. 

This whole draft still feels pretty weird. It might look brilliant just as easily as it might look really dumb in retrospect, which sort of sums up Minasian’s tenure so far. Eppler was kinda safe and boring.  This deadline is gonna be really interesting and telling if they’re very active. 

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

Quick $2,500

accounting trick explanation: There's a $2,500 signing contingency bonus teams can give players when the contract is executed. Some teams give it on top of the signing bonus, some take it out of the bonus to save $ vs their pools, some don't bother with it.

We give it in regifted store credits to Target and Sears.

14 minutes ago, Tank said:

almost makes you want to go back to school and work on your degree.

Most of my students are their age and I'm in my 30's. I'm happily married, and the stories that explain the generational gap are hilarious. They're mostly curious about technology, like VHS tapes, cassette tapes, boomboxes with a CD player, what AOL was like, etc... Obviously there's nothing there but when you have these conversations you realize they're adults on the outside but still very much children in their minds, and I might as well be 90 because that gap is so wide. But then again, I remember thinking people that were 15 years older than me were ancient when I was young, so it makes sense. 

But the picture that you posted, what it made me realize that I didn't before, was that there's a kid out there right now that gets to decide between a hundred thousand dollars and going back to school to that for one more year. 

Jackpot. 

i love talking about technology with my 7th graders. i show them an actual floppy disk and nearly all of them have no idea what it is or what it did. heard a story a few years ago about a teacher who showed one to his class and some kid said "cool, you made a 3D copy of the save icon."

it's also interesting that when i ask them where they think technology is going to take us in the next decade, there are still a lot of kids that answer "flying cars." this has been a standard answer since the mid-80s. their ability to think creatively is either insanely silly and ridiculous, or it's nearly non-existent. there doesn't seem to be any in-between.

what do you teach?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i love talking about technology with my 7th graders. i show them an actual floppy disk and nearly all of them have no idea what it is or what it did. heard a story a few years ago about a teacher who showed one to his class and some kid said "cool, you made a 3D copy of the save icon."

it's also interesting that when i ask them where they think technology is going to take us in the next decade, there are still a lot of kids that answer "flying cars." this has been a standard answer since the mid-80s. their ability to think creatively is either insanely silly and ridiculous, or it's nearly non-existent. there doesn't seem to be any in-between.

what do you teach?

At that level, intro to physics. For my high schoolers, I've got a period of each (Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry). 

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

In case anyone missed it this was a previous report a few days ago. 

That's kind of ... weird ... he won't discuss it until after the signing deadline?   

That can be interpreted in a number of ways ...

TJ is one thing - but there are worse possibilities ...