• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 5/3/2021 Angels vs. Tampa Bay Rays. Fletcher at SS, Ohtani DHing, Rojas at 2B

T.G.

Just now, AngelsFaninGA said:

Also BABIP is stupid and is one of those classic "what should have been" stats that everyone drools over. So like, is Trout going to have his stats adjusted downward because his BABIP is too high? 

you don't understand how BABIP works

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Easier said than done. You must have never played baseball. 

Oh I have. Not major leagues or professional of course but guys that were throwing hard ball in the 70-80s. We would simply look for certain pitches and not swing anything else unless the pitcher was accurate which was rare.

Of course, the major leagues are much different but if a guy is constantly throwing curve balls in the dirt, at least make him get them over the freaking plate. These aren't sliders he's throwing. An 80 mile-an-hour curveball does not look like a fastball.

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Also BABIP is stupid and is one of those classic "what should have been" stats that everyone drools over. So like, is Trout going to have his stats adjusted downward because his BABIP is too high? 

No, it isn’t what should have happened.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Oh I have. Not major leagues or professional of course but guys that were throwing hard ball in the 70-80s. We would simply look for certain pitches and not swing anything else unless the pitcher was accurate which was rare.

Of course, the major leagues are much different but if a guy is constantly throwing curve balls in the dirt, at least make him get them over the freaking plate. These aren't sliders he's throwing. An 80 mile-an-hour curveball does not look like a fastball.

Then you know that as the velocity of the fastball increases, the amount of time for a decision decreases. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No, I have no idea.  My point remains, Trout who is amazing, and hits the ball as hard as anyone consistently will see his BABIP normalize.  Why shouldn’t we expect Quintana’s BABIP to normalize.  So far the answers I have been given is he walks a lot of batters, which I don’t think has anything to do with BABIP and the other answer I got is he allowed a long fucking home run.  Teach me why one would normalize and the other won’t.  If you tell me it is because Quintana gives up too many hard hit balls, then so be it.  What is the highest BABIP allowed over the course of a season?

The reason that numbers normalize is that if you are really bad at something, you will not be given many opportunities to right the ship. 

There are plenty of hitters with very low BABIP numbers but they stop getting at bats if you keep sucking after so many at bats.

Same with pitchers there are plenty of pitchers that have produced very high BABIP but none of them have enough innings to qualify for numbers unless you lower the qualified numbers to less than 30 innings.

Trout is on the other side where he will keep playing every day as long as he is healthy and statistics show that the greater at bats more things will normalize and he is currently sitting more than 120 points higher than the all time highest BABIP for the year. 

Do you want to keep arguing about this?

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Of course, the major leagues are much different but if a guy is constantly throwing curve balls in the dirt, at least make him get them over the freaking plate. These aren't sliders he's throwing. An 80 mile-an-hour curveball does not look like a fastbal

Idk about you what O had trouble hitting a 70 MPH fastball paired with a slider/curve......Now imagine a 100 mph fastball and a filthy Curve.....name a guys from the 70s/80s that threw 100 and had a wipeout curve....and also was about 6'8? 

Just now, Stradling said:

Jackass, I asked his opinion.  He could have said Sandoval.  He could have said Barria.  He could have said Detmers.  

No, but why do you like Quintana so much. Why do you defend him so hard? I’m genuinely curious.

4 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

lol.  you just defined why the difference between 70 and 100 is so tough.  

Just now, rageous said:

The reason that numbers normalize is that if you are really bad at something, you will not be given many opportunities to right the ship. 

There are plenty of hitters with very low BABIP numbers but they stop getting at bats if you keep sucking after so many at bats.

Same with pitchers there are plenty of pitchers that have produced very high BABIP but none of them have enough innings to qualify for numbers unless you lower the qualified numbers to less than 30 innings.

Trout is on the other side where he will keep playing every day as long as he is healthy and statistics show that the greater at bats more things will normalize and he is currently sitting more than 120 points higher than the all time highest BABIP for the year. 

Do you want to keep arguing about this?

I wasn’t arguing.  I was asking you.  My opinion is if we should expect one to normalize then we should expect the other to normalize.  To me that is consistency of thought.  I was curious your thought process.  Thanks for the detailed, thoughtful answer.