• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Tomoyuki Sugano, deadline is 1/7 (update: stays in NPB)

mmc

4 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Ummm... Ohtani is making the minimum 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

Ohtani got a league minimum contract. He'll probably command less than that, I should think.  

Sugano will command less than the minimum?

Awesome!

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Stuff looked legit in that video. Seems like good fastball command with the ability to throw darts or put some run on it. Nice slider (though he hung a few). That one split he threw to a lefty in that vid was dirty AF. He'd definitely work in the Angels rotation.

3 minutes ago, Don said:

Stuff looked legit in that video. Seems like good fastball command with the ability to throw darts or put some run on it. Nice slider (though he hung a few). That one split he threw to a lefty in that vid was dirty AF. He'd definitely work in the Angels rotation.

What I liked is, outside of the curve, and I think one running fastball.  Very little movement by the catcher.  He put his glove where he wants the pitch, and the pitch is right there.  

One part of that Passan screenshot that is interesting is "To get a deal done by Thursday, Sugano would need to fly from California for a physical, which makes the real deadline for an agreement that much earlier."

From that snippet, we can surmise that Sugano is already in California. That would mean the Angels may have an advantage because, depending on where in California he is, he may not even have to fly, or his flight would be much shorter to Anaheim than it would be to other places.

Sugano has a very high floor, with a good probably of being at least a #3 and some chance of being a #2. Aside from contracts, I'd rank him after Bauer and Gray among talked-about pitchers (and Castillo, of course, but I don't think he'll be traded), probably Tanaka too, but ahead of everyone else. I could see him as comparable to Tanaka, just without the proven track history.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I'm very interested to know what Sugano's asking price is. The general prediction I've seen for him is 10 million a year, but that's just people's prediction and not a report on what he is actually asking for. I think that the max I would go for him is 4 years at 12 million per.

54 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Sugano has a very high floor, with a good probably of being at least a #3 and some chance of being a #2. Aside from contracts, I'd rank him after Bauer and Gray among talked-about pitchers (and Castillo, of course, but I don't think he'll be traded), probably Tanaka too, but ahead of everyone else. I could see him as comparable to Tanaka, just without the proven track history.

not sure I'd bank on him being a 2/3.  NPB front line guys have done well in mlb though.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

My source in the AL East says he's a #4 starter, and while he isn't asking anything unreasonable, the economic climate doesn't favor #4 starters getting paid above market. 

Having said that, this same source is head over heels for Odorizzi, who himself isn't much more than a #3/4.