• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Tomoyuki Sugano, deadline is 1/7 (update: stays in NPB)

mmc

7 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Apparently the Giants are out as well.

I forgot they were also ruled out.  I just hope that if we don't get Sugano, that it's not because we were outbid.  Even if people think it's not worth pursuing when Bauer is still out there, there's been absolutely nothing to indicate that he's likely to sign with us, and I suspect there will be much more factors playing into where he signs that are stuff we can't offer, which doesn't appear to be the case with Sugano.  

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

My source in the AL East says he's a #4 starter, and while he isn't asking anything unreasonable, the economic climate doesn't favor #4 starters getting paid above market. 

Having said that, this same source is head over heels for Odorizzi, who himself isn't much more than a #3/4.

I agree with your source and would prefer Odorizzi whom I view as a 2/3 SP. Plus 3/39 might even be less money. 

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

I forgot they were also ruled out.  I just hope that if we don't get Sugano, that it's not because we were outbid.  Even if people think it's not worth pursuing when Bauer is still out there, there's been absolutely nothing to indicate that he's likely to sign with us, and I suspect there will be much more factors playing into where he signs that are stuff we can't offer, which doesn't appear to be the case with Sugano.  

For the Angels, I think it comes down to their own evaluation of Sugano. If they believe he's going to better than a back of the rotation starter, then it seems like they won't be outbid (due to their heavy need for SP). If they believe he's just going to be a back of the rotation starter, they aren't going to try and outbid others.

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I'm getting more pessimistic as this boring offseason crawls along so I'm predicting he signs with the Blue Jays.

I think the Blue Jays would probably be the favorites at this point. Also, they signed Shun Yamaguchi last season, who was on the same team as Sugano before 2020.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think the Blue Jays would probably be the favorites at this point. Also, they signed Shun Yamaguchi last season, who was on the same team as Sugano before 2020.

Yeah but Canada sucks, so we got that much. 

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

He's going to need to fly 3000 miles and have medical professionals assess him in the next 36 hours in order to make that happen.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He's going to need to fly 3000 miles and have medical professionals assess him in the next 36 hours in order to make that happen.

I don't think we are going to be getting a play-by-play of Sugano's location in the U.S. So for all we know, Sugano could be flying to Toronto (or somewhere else) right now. All we know is that Sugano was in California at the time Jeff Passan got that information. Passan's article went up many hours ago, and I'd imagine he didn't get that information right before the article was posted. So Sugano's location of California could be a day old for all we know.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I don't think we are going to be getting a play-by-play of Sugano's location in the U.S. So for all we know, Sugano could be flying to Toronto (or somewhere else) right now. All we know is that Sugano was in California at the time Jeff Passan got that information. Passan's article went up many hours ago, and I'd imagine he didn't get that information right before the article was posted. So Sugano's location of California could be a day old for all we know.

Very true. I wonder if Sugano fits in their budget with the recent report of offering George Springer a fat contract.

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

With Ryu, Pearson, Strippling, Ray, and Roark Blue Jays already have a vastly better rotation compared to us. Losing Bauer or Sugano to them would sting. 

Don't even get me started on the Mets lol

Speaking just about Sugano,

Based on a pure need basis, yeah the Angels need starters more than the Jays. But if the Jays value Sugano more highly than the Angels value him, the Jays are going to be willing to pay Sugano more than the Angels will be.  As for the Mets, it sounds like they are out on Sugano according to reports.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Very true. I wonder if Sugano fits in their budget with the recent report of offering George Springer a fat contract.

It seems like the Jays have a lot of money to work with.

If anything, I wonder if Sugano to the Jays would result in them moving on from Bauer and focusing more on Springer or another bat like LeMahieu or Ozuna.

10 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

What indications make you think this?

Candidates were Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Mariners, Angels, Mets and Giants.

Yankees are cash strapped by the luxury tax even if they want DJLM or Tanaka, let alone any other pitcher.

Red Sox are out.

Blue Jays are across the country and have a big contract offer already in play for Springer. 

Mariners, maybe. No word yet. Their last Japanese acquisition hasn't worked out so well.

Angels have a need and money. 

Mets and Giants are out. 

I mean that narrows it down to Angels, Mariners and Blue Jays. And now comes the twist. Most recent reports connect the Angels to him and say he's in Southern California. That's Jeff Passan too. He's no hack like Heyman. There's only so much time left to take a physical and get a contract signed. 

I'm not saying it's the Angels, I'm just saying that given the available data, the Angels are every bit as likely as any team right now, if not moreso.