• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Tomoyuki Sugano, deadline is 1/7 (update: stays in NPB)

mmc

1 hour ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Meh stuff (it's basically Dylan Bundy's fastball/slider) + age 31 + only Japan as a track record + overall MLB budget climate being tight = not a lot of interest.

Also he had a Tanaka elbow thing in 2014.  (Ligament damage, but no TJ surgery, just rehab like Tanaka).  Another thing to be nervous about.

Yeah....I’d rather see the Angels pursue someone else then...I wasn’t aware of his past injuries. 

36 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Another middle of the rotation (at best) pitcher...

Yay?

33 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

From most reports I have read at best he is a #2 pitcher a la Sonny Gray. His floor is a middle of the rotation pitcher.

Nobody knows what he'll be. It's all just speculation. But I bet Callaway would have as much success with him as any other team would.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Candidates were Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Mariners, Angels, Mets and Giants.

Yankees are cash strapped by the luxury tax even if they want DJLM or Tanaka, let alone any other pitcher.

Red Sox are out.

Blue Jays are across the country and have a big contract offer already in play for Springer. 

Mariners, maybe. No word yet. Their last Japanese acquisition hasn't worked out so well.

Angels have a need and money. 

Mets and Giants are out. 

I mean that narrows it down to Angels, Mariners and Blue Jays. And now comes the twist. Most recent reports connect the Angels to him and say he's in Southern California. That's Jeff Passan too. He's no hack like Heyman. There's only so much time left to take a physical and get a contract signed. 

I'm not saying it's the Angels, I'm just saying that given the available data, the Angels are every bit as likely as any team right now, if not moreso.

Awesome, appreciate it. 

I did this a few years back eliminating teams in on Ohtani and concluded on the Angels. 
Hopefully history repeats itself.

I do wonder what this would mean in terms of a Bauer pursuit. If what Luba says is true that he’s deciding between multiple offers and contract ideas then I’d assume the Angels made their offer and perhaps an offer to Sugano. If they get both and it takes them up in payroll then it is what it is for Arte.

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

2002 team had nothing but mid rotation guys.....

Appier 113 ERA+

Ortiz 118 ERA+

Lackey 121 ERA+

Washburn 142 ERA+

The Angels have won a lot of divisions with a rotation like that, even carrying a sub league average fifth starter. After 2010 the Angels only had three starters over league average, a couple seasons only two.

Last season was the first time since 2009 the Angels had four starters over league average. The star was Dillon Bundy followed by Jamie Barria. Not exactly well respected names in the industry.

Add Bauer and bolster the pen. That should be all that is needed to put four pitchers above league average in the rotation and if Ohtani does regain his rookie poise and control it makes five with two #1 Pitchers and not a bunch of mid rotation guys. 

I don't even think the specific time matters. Something to keep in mind, Sugano's decision likely needs to come tonight so that he can fly, and get assessed by medical professionals tomorrow, and sign his contract by Thursday. 

Even if he's made his decision tonight, I see no reason why it should be leaked to the press. Think about it, if a team looked at the medicals and backed out of the deal, it's an embarrassment on both sides and hurts the player's value. And it probably hurts a teams reputation among players and agents as well.

Let's say the Angels do come to an agreement with him tonight. They don't have any leaks in the front office, save the agent doesn't want anything reported before medicals. So even if they agree tonight, the media likely wouldn't know until tomorrow afternoon or evening.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I don't even think the specific time matters. Something to keep in mind, Sugano's decision likely needs to come tonight so that he can fly, and get assessed by medical professionals tomorrow, and sign his contract by Thursday. 

Even if he's made his decision tonight, I see no reason why it should be leaked to the press. Think about it, if a team looked at the medicals and backed out of the deal, it's an embarrassment on both sides and hurts the player's value. And it probably hurts a teams reputation among players and agents as well.

Let's say the Angels do come to an agreement with him tonight. They don't have any leaks in the front office, save the agent doesn't want anything reported before medicals. So even if they agree tonight, the media likely wouldn't know until tomorrow afternoon or evening.

I wonder if he's made his decision and it hasn't gone public or if he still hasn't made his decision.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I wonder if he's made his decision and it hasn't gone public or if he still hasn't made his decision.

My guess is Sugano knows what he wants at this point. The media will find out soon enough. Probably by this time tomorrow at the latest.

Edited by Second Base