• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Tomoyuki Sugano, deadline is 1/7 (update: stays in NPB)

mmc

Just a question.  But would you guys go 3/$45 with him?

I'd actually be hesitant to give him a 4 year contract, because he is 30, so it would take him to 33, and a opt out after each year also seems silly like what the Giants are thinking.  He could be a $10 million a season pitcher, he could be a $20 million a season pitcher. 

IMO, I think he's going to be lights out the first, maybe second seasons.  He has that weird leg kick, that'll probably throw off hitters for a few times.  Big thing is his accuracy, and if that translates to the US, then he could be a Maddux type pitcher.  Fastball is not overpowering, but if he can dot wherever he pitches, then speed won't matter.  I think his floor is a $10 million pitcher, so if he bombs, he'd probably have a trade value after the first season of $20 million, which puts you on the hook for $10 million.  I think that's a reasonable premium you have to pay, especially in the Angels case when we need pitchers, and it's only money.  

Kikuchi is still almost two years younger than Sugano.

Kikuchi through age 27 in NPB - 2.77 era. 

Sugano through age 30 in NPB - 2.65 era.  

similar peripherals as well.  Sugano has a better bb rate.  

maybe Sugano is more well thought of but that age difference is huge.  Three full seasons.  All prior to turning 31 which is what Sugano is already.  

13 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Just a question.  But would you guys go 3/$45 with him?

I'd actually be hesitant to give him a 4 year contract, because he is 30, so it would take him to 33, and a opt out after each year also seems silly like what the Giants are thinking.  He could be a $10 million a season pitcher, he could be a $20 million a season pitcher. 

IMO, I think he's going to be lights out the first, maybe second seasons.  He has that weird leg kick, that'll probably throw off hitters for a few times.  Big thing is his accuracy, and if that translates to the US, then he could be a Maddux type pitcher.  Fastball is not overpowering, but if he can dot wherever he pitches, then speed won't matter.  I think his floor is a $10 million pitcher, so if he bombs, he'd probably have a trade value after the first season of $20 million, which puts you on the hook for $10 million.  I think that's a reasonable premium you have to pay, especially in the Angels case when we need pitchers, and it's only money.  

I would.  The market for pitching is becoming more expensive, even for average pitchers.  At this point, I will trust Minasian and company.  Remember how much the Angels paid Harvey, Cahill, and Tehran based exclusively on hope?  This signing seems like a better bet.

Yeah, four years seems a bit lengthy for a dude in his 30s that has never thrown a major league pitch. Obviously his performance in Japan earns him some serious respect, but you still never really know how that will translate to MLB until you know. Add that to the typical decline in pitchers in their early/mid-thirties, and 4 years just seems a bit long... Maybe 3/$40 if that's what it takes to keep him from somebody else.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:51 AM, Junkballer said:

Sugano and Gray would put the Angels in a great position to move on to other needs.  Total cost about 20m AAV + prospects for Gray.  Still spending room for additional moves.  I get the sense that Cin doesnt really want to deal Castillo without an overpayment due to being cost controlled.  They seem to be dumping salary so Gray should go for a package more closely tied to his actual value.  Gray/1, Sugano/2, Bundy/3, Heany/4, Canning/5 and improved BP should get the job done.

If Ohtani comes back like late May be a big plus

if hes expecting Kikuchi money, 14, 15M per, im out.
If thats an accurate comparison number wise and expectation, Kickuchi has been a 5+ ERA guy over here and Sugano three years older?
If you can get it for 10M, ok, maybe im in, but not at 15ish. 
Heck the Ms are wondering what to do with Kickuchi before having to pay him 16M per after 21 from what ive read.

I think the very fact that he hasn't left back for Japan already, with the deadline being tomorrow suggests a likelihood that he will play stateside. I mean we are right up against that deadline, and as I said, it benefits no parties to leak details early. 

Either he's waiting until the last minute to try and get the highest possible contract, or he's already made up his mind and it just hasn't been reported to the press yet until there's no danger of this falling through. 

If 7:00 tonight rolls around and there's still no news, I'd be shocked. I still think he's staying stateside and the later in the game it is without him flying into a different city, the more likely it is that he's going to be an Angel. 

But who knows, right? Just my guess.

2021 is his most valuable season.  If he thinks it will be different next year with some sort of big increase in comp while being a year older, then he's getting poor advice.  

But it all boils down to what's important to him and his family.  Kikuchi was an overpay and everyone knows it.  I think he'll be in the 3/36-40 range.  I'd be ok with that.  Add Quintana and I'd actually be pretty pleased with that off season as long as we can get Bundy on an extension.  

4 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

If Ohtani comes back like late May be a big plus

You don't count Ohtani for anything other than a DH until he can show he can throw innings and remain healthy! Dude has only showed he can hit with any kind of consistency! His first season he looked solid before TJ. But, he hasnt proven anything since on the mound.

And holding out hope and counting on his 100% return is why we are where we are in the Starting Rotation today! 

Angels have been doing that for years! Well, we have these guys coming back from TJ. Well, until they do. They have not!

3 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

Sugano has an offer from Yomiuri for five years with an opt out after the first four years. It is hard to match that unless a club wants to overpay for a 31 year old pitcher. I don’t want yhe Angels to offer any pitcher a five year contract. 

It’s a four year deal with opt outs every year.