• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cleveland Indians changing their team name

mmc

12 hours ago, Don said:

Fun little fact to add... some plains Indian tribes (the Kiowa in particular) considered Americans, Mexicans, and Texans to be three completely distinct ethnic groups. The Texans were not well-liked.

Not to continue to derail this thread about Cleveland baseball, but thats another topic. The Texans. Texas and its own history, and how it relates to this topic, mexico, the spanish, american expansion, etc etc. Just weird in todays terms to think of them separate. 

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not to continue to derail this thread about Cleveland baseball, but thats another topic. The Texans. Texas and its own history, and how it relates to this topic, mexico, the spanish, american expansion, etc etc. Just weird in todays terms to think of them separate. 

To me, "Texans" just shows a lack of ingenuity on settling on a team name. I had no idea that the name has been used as many times as it has. Six different football teams have carried the name since 1952.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/9/22/17883252/texans-a-popular-name-for-pro-football-teams

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

On 12/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, Cosmo_Kramer said:

"The National Congress of American Indians and over 1,500 national Native organizations and advocates have called for a ban on all Native imagery, names, mascots, terms, redface, arrows, feathers, and appropriation of Native culture in sports. The joint letter included over 100 Native-led organizations, as well as tribal leaders and members of over 150 federally recognized tribes, reflecting a consensus among Native Americans that Native mascots are harmful."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_mascot_controversy

Perhaps this will suffice?

If that is the consensus, then I dont have an argument against their desires or an opinion. I just am fed up with everyone virtue signaling some unrealized offense. Reasonable one's as you've shown are justified. But I disagree with the last phrase in the sentence, " appropriation of Native Culture". No one has the right to claim ownership over a name. As long as that name is not offensive. For example, Braves. This represents what Native Warriors were called and should not be offensive. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mark PT said:

If that is the consensus, then I dont have an argument against their desires or an opinion. I just am fed up with everyone virtue signaling some unrealized offense. Reasonable one's as you've shown are justified. But I disagree with the last phrase in the sentence, " appropriation of Native Culture". No one has the right to claim ownership over a name. As long as that name is not offensive. For example, Braves. This represents what Native Warriors were called and should not be offensive. Just my opinion.

One thing that I find offensive (and not just because I went to the University of Florida) is the Florida State war chant. A stadium full of white people waving arms simulating the swinging of a tomahawk while singing a faux-Indian chant (which unfortunately FSU alumnus Deion Sanders also brought to Atlanta as the tomahawk chop). Then there is the spectacle of a white guy in war paint riding a horse onto the field and sticking a flaming spear into it. Culture appropriation, pure and simple.

1 hour ago, Mark PT said:

i'm fairly in the middle when it comes to a lot of this stuff, but this is a weird statement to make unless you're talking about the most generic of names. i think the peoples of these first nations definitely have the right to claim ownership over their names.

even braves makes sense because it's not really a generic term. as far as i'm aware there are no other people other than the native americans that used that term, whichever tribes that may have been specifically.

1 hour ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

One thing that I find offensive (and not just because I went to the University of Florida) is the Florida State war chant. A stadium full of white people waving arms simulating the swinging of a tomahawk while singing a faux-Indian chant (which unfortunately FSU alumnus Deion Sanders also brought to Atlanta as the tomahawk chop). Then there is the spectacle of a white guy in war paint riding a horse onto the field and sticking a flaming spear into it. Culture appropriation, pure and simple.

Not going to lie. I think it's awesome.

3 hours ago, ukyah said:

i'm fairly in the middle when it comes to a lot of this stuff, but this is a weird statement to make unless you're talking about the most generic of names. i think the peoples of these first nations definitely have the right to claim ownership over their names.

even braves makes sense because it's not really a generic term. as far as i'm aware there are no other people other than the native americans that used that term, whichever tribes that may have been specifically.

Was wondering about this the other day, when this thread started. Specific to the term braves.

Is that an actual native word? Or an english translated one?

23 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was wondering about this the other day, when this thread started. Specific to the term braves.

Is that an actual native word? Or an english translated one?

It was originally a term used by English/American settlers in reference to young Indian warriors that hadn't yet been in combat.

More here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/how-aboriginal-men-became-braves/article4202377/#:~:text=However%2C Don McGuire of Halifax,his hand%2C bow or stick.

12 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

It was originally a term used by English/American settlers in reference to young Indian warriors that hadn't yet been in combat.

More here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/how-aboriginal-men-became-braves/article4202377/#:~:text=However%2C Don McGuire of Halifax,his hand%2C bow or stick.

So it's not their word.