• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cleveland Indians changing their team name

mmc

14 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Let’s ask the expert.

I think a remake of the show is in order...

with Wil Smith as Gilligan, John Goodman as the Skipper, Steve Carrell as the professor, Rachel McAdams as Mary Ann, Kate Beckinsale as Ginger, and Robert Wagner and Susan Sarandon as the Howells.

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

I think a remake of the show is in order...

with Wil Smith as Gilligan, John Goodman as the Skipper, Steve Carrell as the professor, Rachel McAdams as Mary Ann, Kate Beckinsale as Ginger, and Robert Wagner and Susan Sarandon as the Howells.

Robert Wagner, women, and boats..   What could go wrong?

On 12/19/2020 at 5:11 PM, Dtwncbad said:

I think so.  I am simply not intellectually equipped to argue the ongoing historical impact of the casting decisions on Giligans Island.  But I’m sure there is probably a statue somewhere that we should tear down (depending on the color of the horse?).

Not sure.  Let’s ask the expert.

sign language intellectual disability GIF by Sign with Robert

On 12/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, Angelsjunky said:

No word is inherently offensive - it is just a sound made of letters. Obviously some have pejorative connotations, but "Indians" or "Braves" Isn't inherently insulting ("Redskins" is different, I'd say). But if many, many people whose cultural tradition is referred to by that name want it changed, I don't think it is such a bad thing to change it. And despite what some in this thread have said, it isn't just SJWs. Sure, they're usually loudest and most obnoxious, don't lose the signal for the noise. Native American groups have been trying to get these names changed for decades. 

What is strange to me is how upset people are about this change. Why does it matter? I mean, who cares if a baseball team changes their name? Is this a team name such a sacred thing that changing it is sacrilege?

This is my view as well. If there are enough people from the particular group of interest that would like a name changed, then do it. But for a non-member to think that their opinion matters is a joke. 

14 hours ago, Second Base said:

What 90% of modern day Native Americans actually look like.

hippie teaching GIF by South Park

Things have changed since I was in school regarding how many people want to be identified as natives.  Apparently, schools receive additional money for Native American students.  Every year I was called to the office for someone to verify that I was accurately identified as Native American because I did not look exactly like the representations presented in western movies.  I never self-identified because I saw how natives were treated when we visited relatives and I already had enough problems to deal with.

It is sad we are missing the importance of appreciating each person's unique past and only focusing on each person's historical flaws.  I wish we would learn to treat each other using a different criteria than "us vs them."

9 hours ago, eligrba said:

Things have changed since I was in school regarding how many people want to be identified as natives.  Apparently, schools receive additional money for Native American students.  Every year I was called to the office for someone to verify that I was accurately identified as Native American because I did not look exactly like the representations presented in western movies.  I never self-identified because I saw how natives were treated when we visited relatives and I already had enough problems to deal with.

It is sad we are missing the importance of appreciating each person's unique past and only focusing on each person's historical flaws.  I wish we would learn to treat each other using a different criteria than "us vs them."

I like this sentence.