• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brian Goodwin traded to the Reds for Packy Naughton and Jose Salvador

mmc

41 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I just want to add that when you read “PTBN or cash” you can just ignore the “cash” part. It’s just a technicality that they have to put that in there in case something happens to the guy(s) they agreed on

Any idea how long they will wait until they announce the PTBNL? Usually the trade needs to be finalized within 6 months

Edited by rafibomb

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

A #14 prospect for a productive OF with 2 years of control...
I kinda got the argument about not getting much for a month of this guy or that one, but this seems ... underwhelming. 
If this week is Epplers best put me down for looking elsewhere after the season.

well we don't know the full trade yet so it's silly to grade it yet.  If this guy is the better of the two prospects then i would tend to agree with you though.

12 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

It is a PTBNL or Cash. This tells me that the PTBNL is a low to moderate prospect not on the Red’s 60 Man Player Pool. The cash may be worth more than the prospect. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Except we’ve already been told to ignore the cash part. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I just want to add that when you read “PTBN or cash” you can just ignore the “cash” part. It’s just a technicality that they have to put that in there in case something happens to the guy(s) they agreed on

It sounds like what people are most underwhelmed about is the ceiling of Packy. I'm sure if all we knew was the Angels trade Brian Goodwin for the Reds #13 prospect and a PTBNL there would a lot more people satisfied with the return. Hopefully, the PTBNL (another pitcher according to Fletcher) is a high ceiling prospect to make everyone happy.

Edited by rafibomb

From Cincinnati.com earlier this year:

Packy Naughton, LHP, Chattanooga

Pitching at Daytona and Chattanooga this year, the 23-year-old lefty had success at both levels. He’s posted a 3.43 ERA in 27 combined starts, striking out 124 and walking 34 in 149 ⅔ innings.

Naughton, MLB.com’s No. 13-ranked prospect in the organization, was a ninth-round pick in the 2017 Draft. He had a 2.99 ERA across his first 15 starts at Chattanooga, but he’s allowed 14 earned runs in his last 14 innings.  

12 hours ago, case said:

well we don't know the full trade yet so it's silly to grade it yet.  If this guy is the better of the two prospects then i would tend to agree with you though.

No reason to think thee other guy will be better considering hes the PTBNL... but even still it also opens ANOTHER hole on the club.
Weve created more holes than weve filled.
This isnt close to what i hoped for

5 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

I don't see it that way. The Angels traded two expiring contracts in Castro and. La Stella and a mediocre outfielder who they signed off of waivers when he couldn't make the KC Royals roster. I don't see any holes created. The Angels have MLB ready, cost controlled players to plug in. This allows them to go after pitching in the offseason.

Do they though? Then we end up with guys like Ward/Thaiss/Walsh/etc in the lineup and they contribute nothing. Our farm is still weak

16 minutes ago, floplag said:

No reason to think thee other guy will be better considering hes the PTBNL... but even still it also opens ANOTHER hole on the club.
Weve created more holes than weve filled.
This isnt close to what i hoped for

No.  This isn’t the case this year. We also didn’t create any extra holes by trading Goodwin.  You can sign a lefty platoon bat for about the same as Goodwin would have gotten in arb plus he’s a poor defensive player. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also this year the PTBN isn’t necessarily worse because he wasn’t on the 60 man summer camp team.  He could be a recent draft pick or someone they chose not to put on the extra 30 man team. 

It kinda sucks because he's likely not close to MLB ready, we need MLB ready players to join our extended Spring Training experiment.