• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brian Goodwin traded to the Reds for Packy Naughton and Jose Salvador

mmc

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Something tells me this will wind up being one of Eppler’s best deals. Goodwin brought some solid offense and the cost and control was nice, but we’re managing, and either or both of the pitchers returned could make this a great deal.

Something tells me this will be an inconsequential deal. Goodwin is out, but Ward has more than picked up the slack.

But Packy Naughton is likely going to be a 5th starter, and the Angels already have a few of those. And Salvador.... Probably a reliever. 

I think the most impactful part of this trade will be that it bought Adell two extra years of minor league development because Ward and Upton can handle the corner outfield.

Edited by Second Base

27 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Something tells me this will be an inconsequential deal. Goodwin is out, but Ward has more than picked up the slack.

But Packy Naughton is likely going to be a 5th starter, and the Angels already have a few of those. And Salvador.... Probably a reliever. 

I think the most impactful part of this trade will be that it bought Adell two extra years of minor league development because Ward and Upton can handle the corner outfield.

If anything it made Adell expendable, although it would NOT be wise to trade him during his lowest value ever.  I personally project Adell to be an Upton type at best, super streaky with too much power for his own good, and will always somewhat struggle against RHP.  Defensively he just doesn't seem to be mentally stable like an OFer should, his speed will make up for lack of ball-tracking ability... A good hitting OFer but nothing to lose sleep over, might be an All-Star a few times over a long career if he stays healthy, might hit 40 bombs once or twice during his peak.  Adell likely won't command the same salary as Upton eventually did, since the league is wising up.

10 minutes ago, Angel said:

If anything it made Adell expendable, although it would NOT be wise to trade him during his lowest value ever.  I personally project Adell to be an Upton type at best, super streaky with too much power for his own good, and will always somewhat struggle against RHP.  Defensively he just doesn't seem to be mentally stable like an OFer should, he reminds me of Upton for those reasons... Not a great hitting OFer but nothing to lose sleep over, might be an All-Star a few times over a long career if he stays healthy, might hit 40 bombs once or twice during his peak.  Might not command the same salary as Upton eventually did since the league is wising up.

Agreed though I think that's not personal than anything. I saw him wearing the BLM crap and shook my head. But being that, Adell also seems to be a respectful, well-spoken young man. He's athletic and will make the adjustments. So expendable or not, I don't think I'd trade him or Marsh. 

Adell and Marsh along with a few others including a successful Ward Trout etc gives us probably the best outfield depth in baseball.  Upton is a wild card and could very well be better next season. If Rengifo can just be a poor man's Kendrick or what I call 'pedestrian', we are Gucci on infield depth.  I expect big things from Rengifo eventually though.

I think we might be going a little overboard...

Trout is Trout, but everyone else has real questions. Five weeks ago Upton was "toast" and everyone on the board wanted to cut him. Ward has had one good month in MLB. I'm not ready to declare either Marsh or Adell MLB ready. At the moment we have one sure thing a, a guy who could fall off a cliff, and 4 guys who maybe don't ever make it as regulars. 

Yeah, that's a really negative view of things. But, we're a long way off from close to the best outfield depth in baseball.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

Adell already got to AAA, and struggled.   But he should only need up to a full season there, based on how he eventually conquered every level.

13 hours ago, Angel said:

If anything it made Adell expendable, although it would NOT be wise to trade him during his lowest value ever.  I personally project Adell to be an Upton type at best, super streaky with too much power for his own good, and will always somewhat struggle against RHP.  Defensively he just doesn't seem to be mentally stable like an OFer should, his speed will make up for lack of ball-tracking ability... A good hitting OFer but nothing to lose sleep over, might be an All-Star a few times over a long career if he stays healthy, might hit 40 bombs once or twice during his peak.  Adell likely won't command the same salary as Upton eventually did, since the league is wising up.

Yeah, I agree.

That said, I do think we should strongly consider trading him for a young, strong pitching prospect.  OF is our most loaded spot, with Trout entrenched for years to come, Upton in LF for 2 more years, Ward looking like a decent option, and Marsh and Adams as very legit OF prospects.

Adell should be a very good MLB player for many years, but I do think we'd be best served using our best trade chip from our organizational strength (OF) to help fix our organizational weakness (SP).  An Adell for Manning, or some equivalent thereof, where we trade a FV60 (per Fangraphs) hitter for a FV60 pitcher would be a great way for us to improve.