• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brian Goodwin traded to the Reds for Packy Naughton and Jose Salvador

mmc

Just now, Hubs said:

Y’all realize this is like Clevinger was in 2014. He’s probably better. Sandoval was a bit more advanced when they dealt for him. 

Clevinger had a big arm and was coming off injury.  He had way more upside.  

It's still nice to get someone decent after getting Goodwin for free.  Still always going for guys as close to the majors as possible.  You're going to get less upside that way as has occurred for the last 10 years.  Constantly trying to chase the rabbit.  

There's a hole.  Use expiring resources to fill it right away instead of obtaining assets and having the patience to let them flourish.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It's still nice to get someone decent after getting Goodwin for free.  Still always going for guys as close to the majors as possible.  You're going to get less upside that way as has occurred for the last 10 years.  Constantly trying to chase the rabbit.  

There's a hole.  Use expiring resources to fill it right away instead of obtaining assets and having the patience to let them flourish.  

Arte's directive?

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Disagree. Clevinger may have had better stuff but he was young and unproven. He was arguably further away from the rotation as he was in his first season. And had had TJ.

At the time, the 2011 fourth-rounder was on the radar but hardly an elite prospect. He was still in the middle of his first full professional season, having been sidelined for much of 2012-13 owing to Tommy John surgery. And though he had shown quite well at the Class A level to open the 2014 campaign, Clevinger had only managed a 5.37 ERA over his 55 1/3 High-A frames.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Disagree. Clevinger may have had better stuff but he was young and unproven. He was arguably further away from the rotation as he was in his first season. And had had TJ.

At the time, the 2011 fourth-rounder was on the radar but hardly an elite prospect. He was still in the middle of his first full professional season, having been sidelined for much of 2012-13 owing to Tommy John surgery. And though he had shown quite well at the Class A level to open the 2014 campaign, Clevinger had only managed a 5.37 ERA over his 55 1/3 High-A frames.

you actually said you disagree and then made the same points I did.  they're much different prospects.  This is nothing like the Clevinger trade.  The guy we just got is a ready for the majors lefty with little upside.  Clevinger was a flyer.    

I guess the charitable view is that Packy gives the Angels lefty rotation depth, but they've already got a handful of back-of-the-rotation types and I'd rather see them have gotten a high-risk/reward type. Without knowing who the PTBNL is, seems like Eppler sold low on Goodwin when he could have helped next year if Adell and Marsh aren't ready.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you actually said you disagree and then made the same points I did.  they're much different prospects.  This is nothing like the Clevinger trade.  The guy we just got is a ready for the majors lefty with little upside.  Clevinger was a flyer.    

Ok you’re right. I just meant he was basically unknown when he was traded and no one knew who he could be. What if Packy Naughton turns out to be Jacob DeGrom or Clevinger. We don’t know.

The PTBNL is a pitcher it was reported, and seeing the or Cash means it’s likely one of two guys or the Angels can receive cash if they want instead (like if the PTBNL doesn’t pass a physical.) Luis Rengifo was a PTBNL.

Looking over the Reds prospect list, I see a few guys not in their player pool it could be who fit Eppler’s MO. Lyon Richardson, a 19 year old fireball in Low A, Mac Sceroler a 24 year old righty in high A, Jose Franco a rookieBall flame thrower in 2019 and Spencer Stockton a high strikeout guy who’s 23 and fresh out of college.

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Looking over the Reds prospect list, I see a few guys not in their player pool it could be who fit Eppler’s MO. Lyon Richardson, a 19 year old fireball in Low A, Mac Sceroler a 24 year old righty in high A, Jose Franco a rookieBall flame thrower in 2019 and Spencer Stockton a high strikeout guy who’s 23 and fresh out of college.

this is where a Clevinger type will come from if it does.  

Naughton just doesn't have that potential.  I will be absolutely thrilled if I'm wrong btw.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

this is where a Clevinger type will come from if it does.  

Naughton just doesn't have that potential.  I will be absolutely thrilled if I'm wrong btw.  

So is he Sandoval but a submariner?

16 minutes ago, Hubs said:

So is he Sandoval but a submariner?

Honestly, I think he's probably Dillon Peters.  A four A guy who ends up on the shuttle.  

Maybe they see something that could bring out another level or maybe they were just trying to get some controllable value for goodwin.  I really don't know enough about this guy to comment specifically.  It's just a best guess at this point.  Again, a guess, but his ultimate upside is that of a Marco Gonzalez.  The guy carving up the halos right now.  

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

The other thing people forget! He pretty much jumped off the radar with the indians Minor League Development as a pitcher compared to here.... We have issues drafting and developing arms. I'm surprised people don't see that.

Seems like there wasn't a big market for Ofer. The Dback's package for Marte was not good at all. Than again it felt like the player that the D'back got were quite lackluster to what they gave up.

Not really bog on Packy (outside of the name), but we shall see who the other player is and maybe there more to Packy. 

4 hours ago, rafibomb said:

But it appears Packy isn't in the player pool as well so that's interesting. According to @Jeff Fletcher: "They get LHP Packy Naughton (Reds No. 14 prospect) and a PTBN for Brian Goodwin. Bear in mind that PTBN's are possibly better players than usual this year, because players outside the 60-man pool can't be traded."

But it appears Packy isn't in the player pool as well so that's interesting. Maybe Fletcher can explain.

Packy was added just before the trade because the Reds had an empty spot. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

A #14 prospect for a productive OF with 2 years of control...
I kinda got the argument about not getting much for a month of this guy or that one, but this seems ... underwhelming. 
If this week is Epplers best put me down for looking elsewhere after the season.

It is not encouraging