• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sports just got really lame

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

IMO no one is celebrating people like George Floyd or Jacob Blake. Unfortunately in today's world of social media, their incidents were caught on camera for the entire world to see. That's incredibly dangerous in a world without context. That's why they've become faces of the protests; because more people simply know their name.

Someone brought up Breonna Taylor and I think that's a good example. However her murder was not caught on tape, so it didn't really get the social media treatment. Therefore fewer people know her name or what happened. It got buried by the ones that had videos.

I don't support rioting and looting, and I think it's detrimental to the cause. That said, no one would give a shit otherwise. People on the right envision a peaceful parade of black people locking arms and walking the streets, but in 2020 that's not going to get media attention from either side. This is unfortunate, but it's how the world works now. Rioting WILL get attention. Again I don't support it but that's just a fact. 

When it comes to professional athletes walking out in protest, I fail to see what the problem is. If rioting is a problem for you, then obviously you don't support violent protests. I agree with that. If kneeling during the National Anthem is a problem for you, well...ok. I suppose you can argue it's disrespectful. I don't agree with that but you at least have an argument. If you think this is a problem, what exactly is your argument? I've seen people deflect to other issues like Hong Kong, etc... and say they don't want politics in sports. That's fine, I don't either. But protests are meant to get people talking. They're meant to make people feel uncomfortable. This is the only platform a professional athlete has. You can say they should go into the community and donate their time to helping people and addressing the issues in the community. Here's the thing: they fucking do. All the time. But you don't hear about it because it's not newsworthy. Again, stupid as fuck but I already talked about that.

So what exactly is the problem here? This is what a "peaceful protest" looks like. Remember the "black people locking arms" thing? Well, that's happened very recently, and guess what happens? They get run over by cars. And most of you think that's ok because they were "blocking traffic". I'm not saying blocking traffic is a good idea, but protesting in general is probably not a good idea. The point is to disrupt the status quo. Back in the days of MLK, simply walking down the street with arms linked together would get you literally beaten with batons and have dogs attack you. That's because that simple, peaceful act was not at all simple or peaceful back then. They knew they were putting their lives at risk by doing that. That's why it was successful.

So are these athletes putting their lives at risk by doing this? Not even remotely. But it doesn't seem to matter because you're still upset by it. So they did their job.

There was a theme to civil rights protests in the 60's, and it was about making the states enforce these ridiculous laws that they couldn't eat at the same diner as whites, or sit in the same bus seats. Thankfully these laws don't exist anymore.

Current protesters don't have that kind of nuance, but they don't really have to. Disrupting the status quo is what it all comes down to, and that's exactly what they're doing. For these athletes, the status quo is them staying silent and going out and playing their dumb little game for the entertainment of white people. Once again, they did their job disrupting that. And if that is a problem to you, well then maybe you should reflect on why that's a problem to you.

id hate to think what you consider celebrating given the fact that Floyd was given the funeral he was.

The radical left is going to take any opportunity to push their politics on us. It’s up to the rational moderate people that remain to reject it.

the major scary part about it is that you are now vilified and condemned unless you take a strong stance to the left on it.

This will only get worse as the mob continues to radicalize more (mostly young) people 

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

The radical left is going to take any opportunity to push their politics on us. It’s up to the rational moderate people that remain to reject it.

the major scary part about it is that you are now vilified and condemned unless you take a strong stance to the left on it.

This will only get worse as the mob continues to radicalize more (mostly young) people 

I feel like I'm probably younger than most people on this site, and this was obvious right away for me when I started college 2 years ago.  Gave my opinions in several class discussions that had more of a right-slant, and was shocked over the way people responded (including profs) and seemed uncomfortable with so much that I didn't even think was the slightest bit controversial.  Really opened my eyes as to where things are going.

11 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Yes, those radical leftists and their demands for police be held accountable when they kill citizens. 

On 8/27/2020 at 6:31 PM, GrittyVeterans said:

When moderates look at the left, they realize there’s no place for them. When they look at Trump’s side and hear rhetoric from Pence that Americans aren’t safe if Biden wins, it shows they don’t have a place among what the right has embraced.

This boogeyman bullshit is tiresome.

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

IMO no one is celebrating people like George Floyd or Jacob Blake. Unfortunately in today's world of social media, their incidents were caught on camera for the entire world to see. That's incredibly dangerous in a world without context. That's why they've become faces of the protests; because more people simply know their name.

Someone brought up Breonna Taylor and I think that's a good example. However her murder was not caught on tape, so it didn't really get the social media treatment. Therefore fewer people know her name or what happened. It got buried by the ones that had videos.

I don't support rioting and looting, and I think it's detrimental to the cause. That said, no one would give a shit otherwise. People on the right envision a peaceful parade of black people locking arms and walking the streets, but in 2020 that's not going to get media attention from either side. This is unfortunate, but it's how the world works now. Rioting WILL get attention. Again I don't support it but that's just a fact. 

When it comes to professional athletes walking out in protest, I fail to see what the problem is. If rioting is a problem for you, then obviously you don't support violent protests. I agree with that. If kneeling during the National Anthem is a problem for you, well...ok. I suppose you can argue it's disrespectful. I don't agree with that but you at least have an argument. If you think this is a problem, what exactly is your argument? I've seen people deflect to other issues like Hong Kong, etc... and say they don't want politics in sports. That's fine, I don't either. But protests are meant to get people talking. They're meant to make people feel uncomfortable. This is the only platform a professional athlete has. You can say they should go into the community and donate their time to helping people and addressing the issues in the community. Here's the thing: they fucking do. All the time. But you don't hear about it because it's not newsworthy. Again, stupid as fuck but I already talked about that.

So what exactly is the problem here? This is what a "peaceful protest" looks like. Remember the "black people locking arms" thing? Well, that's happened very recently, and guess what happens? They get run over by cars. And most of you think that's ok because they were "blocking traffic". I'm not saying blocking traffic is a good idea, but protesting in general is probably not a good idea. The point is to disrupt the status quo. Back in the days of MLK, simply walking down the street with arms linked together would get you literally beaten with batons and have dogs attack you. That's because that simple, peaceful act was not at all simple or peaceful back then. They knew they were putting their lives at risk by doing that. That's why it was successful.

So are these athletes putting their lives at risk by doing this? Not even remotely. But it doesn't seem to matter because you're still upset by it. So they did their job.

There was a theme to civil rights protests in the 60's, and it was about making the states enforce these ridiculous laws that they couldn't eat at the same diner as whites, or sit in the same bus seats. Thankfully these laws don't exist anymore.

Current protesters don't have that kind of nuance, but they don't really have to. Disrupting the status quo is what it all comes down to, and that's exactly what they're doing. For these athletes, the status quo is them staying silent and going out and playing their dumb little game for the entertainment of white people. Once again, they did their job disrupting that. And if that is a problem to you, well then maybe you should reflect on why that's a problem to you.

These athletes have experienced more privilege than the majority of all Americans. They may have live 8-10 years of poverty to start but most have had their asses kissed from the age of 12. They receive money, grades, and white women until they turn pro. They become instant millionaires based on their talent and the opportunities in our country. All the fans want is a little honestly and gratitude expressed towards America.

White people elected Obama and have happily paid these athletes for years. White people adopt blacks by the 100,000s every year in this country. How many black families adopt white kids?

These athletes need to focus their efforts toward educating their communities on how to interact with cops. Educate blacks on the importance of family. Instead they embrace the anti family BLM and have multiple illegitimate kids themselves. Also, address the elephant in the room which is blacks killing blacks. 

32 minutes ago, Kevin said:

When moderates look at the left, they realize there’s no place for them. When they look at Trump’s side and here rhetoric from Pence that Americans aren’t safe if Biden wins, it shows they don’t have a place among the what the right has embraced.

This boogeyman bullshit is tiresome.

The voting public are sheep and this tactic has worked for a long time 

52 minutes ago, floplag said:

This is why debate is dead... you know precisely what i mean and to the degree it was turned into a political rally... but sure, play the race card, what else is new. 

I've been down this road with you many times before. You don't want a debate. You want to blame the liberals with your rhetoric then when people call you out on it, you say the conversation is going nowhere and are "bowing out". It's the same shit every time with you.

You want to address the other things in my post? There's a lot in there.

2 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I’m about as moderate as they come and on here I’m looked at as a flaming lib because I question whether or not the police should have shot the dude.   So every single thing in society is a both sides issue right now.