• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sports just got really lame

There will always be issues to deal with in the real world.

This actually CREATES a good lane for sports to thrive because people like being able to enjoy something away from work, problems, family issues, politics, etc.

People who spend plenty of time Dealing with all those things on an everyday basis need an outlet.  A little treat to reset and face the next day of doing it all again.  Sports is that treat.

If these sports are not smart enough to remain a treat, an escape, providing a couple hour experience to be free from all the “real world” stuff, then the interest in sports will wilt away.

Social media has created an environment where everyone thinks they are on the stage 24/7 in a 24/7 test to prove they are important and worthy and relevant.  Athletes (like almost everybody else in society) are drunk on it.

If they want to hold the entertainment value of their skills hostage against their customers to demand “systemic” changes in society/politics/social justice/whatever, that is up to them.

I am just saying it’s a dumb move.  It does literally nothing except contaminate the “lane” that was created for them in the first place by people wanting/enjoying and frankly needing a temporary diversion and escape from exactly these things.

They can do what they want.  It’s a free country.  But the miscalculation is gargantuan.

I will not be able to see Lebron James play basketball tonight?

It is very quickly, very easy to simply respond with . . .

OK.  So I will do something else.  But I can tell you for sure if I am not watching LeBron James play basketball I am not paying attention to Lebron James at all.

I can say pretty comfortably that, right now anyway, sports is lame.  Sports right now don’t even remotely serve their actual purpose.

And I know there will be the instant knee jerk reaction that I need to get on board with demanding justice for all, how important this is. 

Yet this is evidence of the obnoxious absurdity of the assumption that anyone who wants to watch a game doesn’t care.  Just like absurd it would be for me to assume if an athlete plays his game tonight he doesn’t care about justice for all.  Absolutely ridiculous.

But that doesn’t matter because all anybody cares about right now is creating a moment where they get to crown themselves as important and woke.  Sadly, the easiest way to do that is to assume everyone around you cares less and you have to make a statement!

Dear athletes,

If you play instead of refusing to play I make no assumption about your character.  And in return, if I just want to see you play instead of not playing, make no assumption about my character.

At the end of the day, you athletes will likely have no voice at all if you don’t play, or if fans have to worry about if you will or will not play.

Spend your time away from work having a voice and an impact on anything and everything that matters to you.  That’s how you have an impact. Boycotting your own work will make you invisible and irrelevant in a hurry.

Thanks for listening athletes.  I hope you figure this out.  Because it actually does matter for the good of society. 

There are so many times I wish it was some earlier year, "simpler times" in our heads. But we are here and I guess we will have to live in this moment and be aware that not all we perceive as negatives are without merit or worth for years from now. I'd like sports to be unsoilded by politics and social unreast but it is a part of society so it must be involved in the same events. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

There are so many times I wish it was some earlier year, "simpler times" in our heads. But we are here and I guess we will have to live in this moment and be aware that not all we perceive as negatives are without merit or worth for years from now. I'd like sports to be unsoilded by politics and social unreast but it is a part of society so it must be involved in the same events. 

I get it. And  I am guilty of being long winded.  Let me say that at the core of my message is just being predictive.  I simply believe that sports will suffer, will wilt in importance, and ultimately the athletes will have less of a voice.  And I don’t think that’s what they want.

LeBron rambled on and on after Monday's game and went stream of consciousness about being black, practically demanding that all prejudice stop right now. Now he wants all NBA games cancelled for the rest of the season. Not one word about the destruction of the city of Kenosha, or Portland, or any of the other cities that are burning to the ground. Not one word. 

He's a great basketball player but hardly the be-all and end-all of social and political wisdom.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I get it. And  I am guilty of being long winded.  Let me say that at the core of my message is just being predictive.  I simply believe that sports will suffer, will wilt in importance, and ultimately the athletes will have less of a voice.  And I don’t think that’s what they want.

But has there been a time in recent memory where the Athletes should use their voice more?  I mean the NBA is something like 80% black.  This absolutely hits home with them.  

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

LeBron rambled on and on after Monday's game and went stream of consciousness about being black, practically demanding that all prejudice stop right now. Now he wants all NBA games cancelled for the rest of the season. Not one word about the destruction of the city of Kenosha, or Portland, or any of the other cities that are burning to the ground. Not one word. 

He's a great basketball player but hardly the be-all and end-all of social and political wisdom.

show me one person who is and I will show you half of the country that disagrees.  

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If they choose an extended walkout then, yes, I believe fans will punish them next year at the ticket counter like they did in baseball after the strike shortened season. It may take a while to recover a previously robust fan base.

14 minutes ago, Taylor said:

In this thread: white people telling black people what they should or should not do, and how they should or should not feel, with a very narrow understanding of the real issues that spark this kind of peaceful protest.

In this thread: memebers of a forum community talk about the impact on sports franchises when they choose to leave the confines of their industry to be involved in social strife and alienating fans. Long term will it do more harm to professional sports than it's intended stance? 

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

None of you are owed entertainment from these people.  You don’t owe them your money or fandom.  Put your money where your mouths are and don’t come back.  

Wrong. I paid for a sports package on cable, others have paid for season tickets. They are obligated to provide product. The only recourse is fan boycott next season but by then the message will have no affect on present circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Wrong. I paid for a sports package on cable, others have paid for season tickets. They are obligated to provide product. The only recourse is fan boycott next season but by then the message will have no affect on present circumstances. 

They made their deals with the providers.  Not you.  Cancel your subscription.  If you have a contract with them then the conditions have changed and fight them to cancel your contract since you feel they’ve breached their obligation to you.  They’re pretty tricky with the small print about that stuff though.   Boycott away.  My bet is you won’t. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

None of you are owed entertainment from these people.  You don’t owe them your money or fandom.  Put your money where your mouths are and don’t come back.  

This is exactly what I plan on doing. The NBA will never receive money from me ever again.

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Cancel it today and then don't buy it next year.  

More power to them but like I said in another thread I already tuned the NBA out and won't be going back over their backtracking on the Hong Kong tweet.  They care about money more than they do supporting democracy or the freedoms of some other people.  That's fine they just need to own it.  I don't care if people kneel during the anthem or use their fame or standing to push their agenda or that of someone else.

It is what it is. I'm fine with them using their platform to speak out however they feel.

What I don't like is the mob mentality from the left that if you don't 100% believe politics and sports should aways be intertwined that you are then "privileged" or a "racist".

I think having sports as an outlet from the other harder parts of life is something we should again strive for hopefully in the near future.