• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sports just got really lame

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

It is what it is. I'm fine with them using their platform to speak out however they feel.

What I don't like is the mob mentality from the left that if you don't 100% believe politics and sports should aways be intertwined that you are then "privileged" or a "racist".

I think having sports as an outlet from the other harder parts of life is something we should again strive for hopefully in the near future.

I think the players will get the message. Probably next season when the stands consistent of only black men selling peanuts

1 minute ago, angelinkc said:

I think the players will get the message. Probably next season when the stands consistent of only black men selling peanuts

I'm personally white and will not stop watching. I like sports too much to do something like that.

I'm not agitated at the players, I'm irritated at the interpretation of the message that many of the BLM mob has about this. They think it's an excuse to belittle, shame, and antagonize people that just want to watch their sports again in peace some day. A person like Jemelle Hill is the leader of this disgusting behavior.

I'll never stand behind that

42 minutes ago, Taylor said:

In this thread: white people telling black people what they should or should not do, and how they should or should not feel, with a very narrow understanding of the real issues that spark this kind of peaceful protest.

I would try a FIFY also but I would have to cross out your entire post.  I think your first step to being part of a solution would be to find a way to respond that is not 100% lies, reckless assumptions, automatically racial, and deliberately mischaracterizing what is happening in the streets.
But thanks for checking in with the assigned bullet point talking points from the SJWs from Tic Tok.

While I would like to support the movement, it's hard for me to do so given how shamelessly opportunistic it's become. Between the rioting and looting, corporate virtue signaling, and the complete lack of response (or even defiant response) after Desean Jackson's anti-Semitic comments it's just devolved into the same corporatism and lazy selfishness that permeates most of the rest of American society.

So yes, given where things stand nowadays it actually would be nice to get a break from being beaten over the head with political pandering, especially since there won't be any meaningful change enacted anyway given the opportunism on both sides. Athletes will use the movement to gain leverage with owners, corporations will use it to gain leverage with their customers, the right and left will use it as leverage with their voter base with no intention of fixing anything. It all seems to be a symptom of a more broadly declining society populated by people unwilling to improve themselves, their careers, their fitness, their relationships, etc. 

I never thought they would cancel the playoffs.  If you cancel the playoffs now, what do you do the next time a black man is killed by police (and, unfortunately, we know it will happen again).  While they are playing they have the optimum forum to discuss their concerns.  When they aren’t they lose much of that access....  

Just now, mymerlincat said:

Again, I would be somewhat ok with this if it wasn't over the nonlethal shooting of a child predator

Yes, another thing that confuses me is that while the Breonna Taylor killing was more egregious and a more palatable case to get behind for the broader public, James Blake and George Floyd are the hills the BLM movement has chosen to die on. 

17 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

I never thought they would cancel the playoffs.  If you cancel the playoffs now, what do you do the next time a black man is killed by police (and, unfortunately, we know it will happen again).  While they are playing they have the optimum forum to discuss their concerns.  When they aren’t they lose much of that access....  

They have set the bar now.  They have trapped themselves.  You know it used to be that we lowered the flag to half mast only for very, very specific things.  Then somebody decided they should do it for something else then something else then something else.  Now they are stuck.  The flag gets lowered to half mast like every other week now for (fill in the blank).

Being a slave to symbolism usually doesn’t work out. 

13 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Yes, another thing that confuses me is that while the Breonna Taylor killing was more egregious and a more palatable case to get behind for the broader public, James Blake and George Floyd are the hills the BLM movement has chosen to die on. 

Yep, as someone who has had personal experiences with child predators, it’s disgusting to me to see people idolize this man and see my favorite teams and sports leagues (which are a great distraction from all of lives problems) protest and stop playing over the shooting of him

5 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Yep, as someone who has had personal experiences with child predators, it’s disgusting to me to see people idolize this man and see my favorite teams and sports leagues (which are a great distraction from all of lives problems) protest and stop playing over the shooting of him

There is so much to mentally process.

I would bet there are literally millions of people who, in their honest heart, would not be unhappy at all if Derek Chauvin was killed today because they, again in their honest heart, draw the line at racism.

But then is it ok for others to not blink at the killing of a child predator when, in their honest heart, that is where they draw the line?

This is exactly why we need to all respect laws to avoid total chaos.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I would bet there are literally millions of people who, in their honest heart, would not be unhappy at all if Derek Chauvin was killed today because they, again in their honest heart, draw the line at racism.

You think it's getting sporty now. Just wait until Derek Chauvin walks. That's when the real fun starts.

Just now, Lhalo said:

You think it's getting sporty now. Just wait until Derek Chauvin walks. That's when the real fun starts.

Well he just might walk.  And it will be because people are slaves to their emotions and they “Demanded” that the charges against him be elevated to a charge that will be much harder to convict him of.

So then he walks.  And the same mob will demand justice for that.  And the left will be perfectly happy with an angry mob wrecking more of society as justified.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

If they choose an extended walkout then, yes, I believe fans will punish them next year at the ticket counter like they did in baseball after the strike shortened season. It may take a while to recover a previously robust fan base.

I doubt it. Fans were allowed to attend those games, they can't in this climate.

24 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

There is so much to mentally process.

But then is it ok for others to not blink at the killing of a child predator when, in their honest heart, that is where they draw the line?

This is exactly why we need to all respect laws to avoid total chaos.

The whole thing is just a joke.  The leagues have decided that child rape is ok, but attacking a child rapist is not because it doesn’t fit the narrative.  Players are encouraged to be as supportive as they want about social justice and other left leaning political movements, but anything else is considered no go (the NBA and the Nets owner condemned Morey for speaking out against the human right violations in Hong Kong).  Talking about voting Republican also isnt allowed apparently, as those who follow the NHL are probably aware that Logan Couture had to apologize for saying he’d vote Republican if he was American.  The BLM movement and organization has done nothing for black people, and has ruined the lives of many people by destroying and burning their livelihoods, and yet the support of them is encouraged.  I don’t want any politics in supports, but if they’re going to be a part of it, all sides should be allowed.  But nope, you can only get into politics when you’re pressured to support a terrorist organization and child rapists, anything else you’re condemned for.  It’s pathetic.

And those who hang out here know while I post a lot of news that I find interesting, I really don’t talk all that much about my personal beliefs, but this crosses a line for me

12 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

The whole thing is just a joke.  The leagues have decided that child rape is ok, but attacking a child rapist is not because it doesn’t fit the narrative.  Players are encouraged to be as supportive as they want about social justice and other left leaning political movements, but anything else is considered no go (the NBA and the Nets owner condemned Morey for speaking out against the human right violations in Hong Kong).  Talking about voting Republican also isnt allowed apparently, as those who follow the NHL are probably aware that Logan Couture had to apologize for saying he’d vote Republican if he was American.  The BLM movement and organization has done nothing for black people, and has ruined the lives of many people by destroying and burning their livelihoods, and yet the support of them is encouraged.  I don’t want any politics in supports, but if they’re going to be a part of it, all sides should be allowed.  But nope, you can only get into politics when you’re pressured to support a terrorist organization and child rapists, anything else you’re condemned for.  It’s pathetic.

And those who hang out here know while I post a lot of news that I find interesting, I really don’t talk all that much about my personal beliefs, but this crosses a line for me

They are so one million percent sure they are on the right side of these issues that they are blinded to any obvious hypocrisy and the real unintended consequences impact they are having.

Reminds me of the funny saying.  You can only be so open-minded before your brain falls out.

27 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

^

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don’t give a shit because i don’t pay attention to what a athletes and celebrities think about social issues 

It amazes me that there are actually people who do. It amazes me even more that people decide whether they will watch based on what athletes say/do regarding social issues. 

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

It amazes me that there are actually people who do. It amazes me even more that people decide whether they will watch based on what athletes say/do regarding social issues. 

Lou, the difference today is people can’t decide “whether they will watch based on what athletes say.”   The athletes just decided you can’t watch games.

So this is different, and I started the thread to say this is a massive miscalculation on their part.  

The other issue I have is have any of these athletes actually put forth what they think is a good plan to fix the issues with society, or changes they think need to be made?  It seems like a lot of talk about "we need to take a stand!" but no actual substance.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Lou, the difference today is people can’t decide “whether they will watch based on what athletes say.”   The athletes just decided you can’t watch games.

So this is different, and I started the thread to say this is a massive miscalculation on their part.  

My comment was directed at those who claim they're done watching the nba, for example, or that they're cancelling their cable package.