• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sports just got really lame

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

The other issue I have is have any of these athletes actually put forth what they think is a good plan to fix the issues with society, or changes they think need to be made?  It seems like a lot of talk about "we need to take a stand!" but no actual substance.

You obviously haven't seen the jerseys.

24 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Lou, the difference today is people can’t decide “whether they will watch based on what athletes say.”   The athletes just decided you can’t watch games.

So this is different, and I started the thread to say this is a massive miscalculation on their part.  

I get your point. I think you're missing mine.  

2 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Yes, another thing that confuses me is that while the Breonna Taylor killing was more egregious and a more palatable case to get behind for the broader public, James Blake and George Floyd are the hills the BLM movement has chosen to die on. 

There was no video of Breonna Taylor's killing. I think actually seeing what happened is causing even more rage. And it's not just those 3, it's the several who died before them without cause. If you look at videos of how cops treat white guys who are aggressive towards them, you will see a clear difference on how they are treated compared to blacks.

Combine that with the racial tensions Trump has stoked and it's all coming to a head.

50 minutes ago, Lou said:

It amazes me that there are actually people who do. It amazes me even more that people decide whether they will watch based on what athletes say/do regarding social issues. 

I got one for you that makes me laugh.

There is an Italian restaurant/bar that has been letting a few of us and regs in for drinks, speakeasy style. Most of the time we would go in there and there would be Fox News on one tv, but a sports game on another. I like the dude and get it's a Republican bar. But the dude literally put up laminated signs next to every tv that read something like, "This establishment will not be showing sports from any leagues that have kneeled. Also, we will not ever show these sports leagues until they publicly apologize. Thank you for your cooperation."...some shit like that. Just hilarious how far some people take it.

This dude took it a step further.

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

But the dude literally put up laminated signs next to every tv that read something like, "This establishment will not be showing sports from any leagues that have kneeled. Also, we will not ever show these sports leagues until they publicly apologize.

So it's PGA 24/7?

Sport should unify, not add to division.
We come together as a team to play sports, no concern about color or race.
We join as fans to root for our teams, regardless of the color or race of players in question.  
There is something horribly wrong with political zealotry permeating every facet of life. 
It is especially egregious when those preaching at us about oppressing have more than most of us have ever dreamed of.  Does anyone really think LeBron fucking James is afraid to go literally anywhere?  Seriously?  Hes loved, or at least was, (except for the whole "the decision" thing but thats another thread)  by all races and just spat in the face of a large part of his fan base. 
I dont support politics in sport in any form, and i think those who put it there are putting themselves and their agenda over the game.

2 hours ago, Lhalo said:

You think it's getting sporty now. Just wait until Derek Chauvin walks. That's when the real fun starts.

That is an area where DA's have failed the nation.    Too many officers who killed someone without true provocation have walked away. 

So, that's four areas that need re-researching to tweak, WITHOUT defunding the police.

1) Why are tasers not as effective as one would think?

2) Qualified Immunity (possibly tied into #3)

3) DA's letting too many officers walk when the killing was probably unnecessary.

4) Increase training for officers, to weed out more of the bad ones up front.

2 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

The whole thing is just a joke.  The leagues have decided that child rape is ok, but attacking a child rapist is not because it doesn’t fit the narrative.  Players are encouraged to be as supportive as they want about social justice and other left leaning political movements, but anything else is considered no go (the NBA and the Nets owner condemned Morey for speaking out against the human right violations in Hong Kong).  Talking about voting Republican also isnt allowed apparently, as those who follow the NHL are probably aware that Logan Couture had to apologize for saying he’d vote Republican if he was American.  The BLM movement and organization has done nothing for black people, and has ruined the lives of many people by destroying and burning their livelihoods, and yet the support of them is encouraged.  I don’t want any politics in supports, but if they’re going to be a part of it, all sides should be allowed.  But nope, you can only get into politics when you’re pressured to support a terrorist organization and child rapists, anything else you’re condemned for.  It’s pathetic.

And those who hang out here know while I post a lot of news that I find interesting, I really don’t talk all that much about my personal beliefs, but this crosses a line for me

That's why myself and some others wonder (albeit some what out there) if some sort of a conspiracy exists.   Why else would human beings be ok with child predators but not with harming them?   Why are all sports seemingly spitting in the faces of Republicans, while giving Democrats carte blanche?

IMO no one is celebrating people like George Floyd or Jacob Blake. Unfortunately in today's world of social media, their incidents were caught on camera for the entire world to see. That's incredibly dangerous in a world without context. That's why they've become faces of the protests; because more people simply know their name.

Someone brought up Breonna Taylor and I think that's a good example. However her murder was not caught on tape, so it didn't really get the social media treatment. Therefore fewer people know her name or what happened. It got buried by the ones that had videos.

I don't support rioting and looting, and I think it's detrimental to the cause. That said, no one would give a shit otherwise. People on the right envision a peaceful parade of black people locking arms and walking the streets, but in 2020 that's not going to get media attention from either side. This is unfortunate, but it's how the world works now. Rioting WILL get attention. Again I don't support it but that's just a fact. 

When it comes to professional athletes walking out in protest, I fail to see what the problem is. If rioting is a problem for you, then obviously you don't support violent protests. I agree with that. If kneeling during the National Anthem is a problem for you, well...ok. I suppose you can argue it's disrespectful. I don't agree with that but you at least have an argument. If you think this is a problem, what exactly is your argument? I've seen people deflect to other issues like Hong Kong, etc... and say they don't want politics in sports. That's fine, I don't either. But protests are meant to get people talking. They're meant to make people feel uncomfortable. This is the only platform a professional athlete has. You can say they should go into the community and donate their time to helping people and addressing the issues in the community. Here's the thing: they fucking do. All the time. But you don't hear about it because it's not newsworthy. Again, stupid as fuck but I already talked about that.

So what exactly is the problem here? This is what a "peaceful protest" looks like. Remember the "black people locking arms" thing? Well, that's happened very recently, and guess what happens? They get run over by cars. And most of you think that's ok because they were "blocking traffic". I'm not saying blocking traffic is a good idea, but protesting in general is probably not a good idea. The point is to disrupt the status quo. Back in the days of MLK, simply walking down the street with arms linked together would get you literally beaten with batons and have dogs attack you. That's because that simple, peaceful act was not at all simple or peaceful back then. They knew they were putting their lives at risk by doing that. That's why it was successful.

So are these athletes putting their lives at risk by doing this? Not even remotely. But it doesn't seem to matter because you're still upset by it. So they did their job.

There was a theme to civil rights protests in the 60's, and it was about making the states enforce these ridiculous laws that they couldn't eat at the same diner as whites, or sit in the same bus seats. Thankfully these laws don't exist anymore.

Current protesters don't have that kind of nuance, but they don't really have to. Disrupting the status quo is what it all comes down to, and that's exactly what they're doing. For these athletes, the status quo is them staying silent and going out and playing their dumb little game for the entertainment of white people. Once again, they did their job disrupting that. And if that is a problem to you, well then maybe you should reflect on why that's a problem to you.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

IMO no one is celebrating people like George Floyd or Jacob Blake. Unfortunately in today's world of social media, their incidents were caught on camera for the entire world to see. That's incredibly dangerous in a world without context. That's why they've become faces of the protests; because more people simply know their name.

Someone brought up Breonna Taylor and I think that's a good example. However her murder was not caught on tape, so it didn't really get the social media treatment. Therefore fewer people know her name or what happened. It got buried by the ones that had videos.

I don't support rioting and looting, and I think it's detrimental to the cause. That said, no one would give a shit otherwise. People on the right envision a peaceful parade of black people locking arms and walking the streets, but in 2020 that's not going to get media attention from either side. This is unfortunate, but it's how the world works now. Rioting WILL get attention. Again I don't support it but that's just a fact. 

When it comes to professional athletes walking out in protest, I fail to see what the problem is. If rioting is a problem for you, then obviously you don't support violent protests. I agree with that. If kneeling during the National Anthem is a problem for you, well...ok. I suppose you can argue it's disrespectful. I don't agree with that but you at least have an argument. If you think this is a problem, what exactly is your argument? I've seen people deflect to other issues like Hong Kong, etc... and say they don't want politics in sports. That's fine, I don't either. But protests are meant to get people talking. They're meant to make people feel uncomfortable. This is the only platform a professional athlete has. You can say they should go into the community and donate their time to helping people and addressing the issues in the community. Here's the thing: they fucking do. All the time. But you don't hear about it because it's not newsworthy. Again, stupid as fuck but I already talked about that.

So what exactly is the problem here? This is what a "peaceful protest" looks like. Remember the "black people locking arms" thing? Well, that's happened very recently, and guess what happens? They get run over by cars. And most of you think that's ok because they were "blocking traffic". I'm not saying blocking traffic is a good idea, but protesting in general is probably not a good idea. The point is to disrupt the status quo. Back in the days of MLK, simply walking down the street with arms linked together would get you literally beaten with batons and have dogs attack you. That's because that simple, peaceful act was not at all simple or peaceful back then. They knew they were putting their lives at risk by doing that. That's why it was successful.

So are these athletes putting their lives at risk by doing this? Not even remotely. But it doesn't seem to matter because you're still upset by it. So they did their job.

There was a theme to civil rights protests in the 60's, and it was about making the states enforce these ridiculous laws that they couldn't eat at the same diner as whites, or sit in the same bus seats. Thankfully these laws don't exist anymore.

Current protesters don't have that kind of nuance, but they don't really have to. Disrupting the status quo is what it all comes down to, and that's exactly what they're doing. For these athletes, the status quo is them staying silent and going out and playing their dumb little game for the entertainment of white people. Once again, they did their job disrupting that. And if that is a problem to you, well then maybe you should reflect on why that's a problem to you.

TLDR 

3 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Yep, as someone who has had personal experiences with child predators, it’s disgusting to me to see people idolize this man and see my favorite teams and sports leagues (which are a great distraction from all of lives problems) protest and stop playing over the shooting of him

No one is idolizing this guy.  No one.