• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

FIRE MADDON

failos

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Maddon's bullpen management is hilariously bad. Like so bad, it's probably worth -4.0 WAR. 

His lineup management has been good, though. Rendon wasn't getting it done, Ohtani got walked 3 times. Walsh gets moved to the 3 spot, Ohtani goes deep, Walsh drives in a run, Angels win by 1. 

Edge:

Chicago Cubs Baseball GIF by MLB

Agreed. My biggest gripe with him is how he pulls starters too soon and puts in his notoriously poor relievers in high leverage situations. I mean, I get it, the entire BP is trash—but he should’ve let Sandy finish the inning today.

3 minutes ago, failos said:

Agreed. My biggest gripe with him is how he pulls starters too soon and puts in his notoriously poor relievers in high leverage situations. I mean, I get it, the entire BP is trash—but he should’ve let Sandy finish the inning today.

How many pitches was Sandoval at, 70, 80, 90? No, he was over 100 pitches with the field temperature over 100 degrees and just gave up a single and a four pitch walk. This is one time Maddon kept with his starter long enough but pulled the plug at the right time. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

How many pitches was Sandoval at, 70, 80, 90? No, he was over 100 pitches with the field temperature over 100 degrees and just gave up a single and a four pitch walk. This is one time Maddon kept with his starter long enough but pulled the plug at the right time. 

He pulled the plug at the right time but then he put a fork in the outlet.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Fair enough

31 minutes ago, failos said:

No way. He gave Sandoval a shot.  

He can't win. Some will be mad when he pulls a starter too early.  Some will be mad when he leaves a starter in too long.  Some of the above are the same people.  

Bottom line is for this team to be successful, the players have to perform.  You shouldn't allow both inherited runners to score.  You shouldn't have to use to bullpen as much as they've had to.   Oh. And Ohtani isn't throwing 200 innings

Didn't watch the game so just looking at the box score and thread.  

Seems like Maddon left Sandoval in there plenty and gave him a shot.  

Normally not a big Maddon defender but with as bad of a pen as the Angels have, the one thing I've been looking for from him is to have a shorter leash on some of the pen guys.  To better recognize when a guy doesn't have it that day because that's pretty common with a bad pen.  Some days a mediocre guy will get his out and others you just know he's not gonna.  

It's not like he can put Iglesias or even Mayers or Cishek in for the 6th inning and after Raisel, he's got a pretty bare cupboard.  He saw pretty quickly that Slegers wasn't cutting it and pulled him.  Kudos for that.  

BTW, How did Wantz look?  I was a little concerned he wouldn't really have and out pitch.  

Here's a question for someone with inside info like @Inside Pitch.  Do they have rapsodo and/or tracman in the pen and will teams eval data coming from that to determine who they might put in that day?  When you've got redundant mediocre to bad, maybe a little advanced data can help you see who's on and who's not.  Anyway.  Just a thought.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Didn't watch the game so just looking at the box score and thread.  

Seems like Maddon left Sandoval in there plenty and gave him a shot.  

Normally not a big Maddon defender but with as bad of a pen as the Angels have, the one thing I've been looking for from him is to have a shorter leash on some of the pen guys.  To better recognize when a guy doesn't have it that day because that's pretty common with a bad pen.  Some days a mediocre guy will get his out and others you just know he's not gonna.  

It's not like he can put Iglesias or even Mayers or Cishek in for the 6th inning and after Raisel, he's got a pretty bare cupboard.  He saw pretty quickly that Slegers wasn't cutting it and pulled him.  Kudos for that.  

BTW, How did Wantz look?  I was a little concerned he wouldn't really have and out pitch.  

Here's a question for someone with inside info like @Inside Pitch.  Do they have rapsodo and/or tracman in the pen and will teams eval data coming from that to determine who they might put in that day?  When you've got redundant mediocre to bad, maybe a little advanced data can help you see who's on and who's not.  Anyway.  Just a thought.

He gave Sandoval plenty of room, and same for Canning on Friday evening.  Wantz looked very good for a first outing.  He seemed to have pretty good command, and threw a variety of pitches at good speed, up to 96 mph I believe.  I hope we see more soon. If you get access to a replay, I think he's worth reviewing.  I'm finding it hard to criticize Maddon given what he has to work with, and especially trying to manage the fatigue in the bullpen.  One thing about Cishek, I wish he would use him to only start innings.  His record isn't good with regard to inherited runners, but much better otherwise.  

Overall I really like R. Iglesias a lot, but you have to realize he is always around the strike zone, and every once in a while somebody will crank one out.  He had gone 25 batters without a hit, until they solo dumped one just over the wall in the ninth today.  Yes, that could have been a killer, but I think the good is well worth the negative, 16 saves and 6 wins.  The problem with these home runs is they stick with the fans a lot longer than the good. Are there better closers? Yes, but not that many really, and everyone wants a Chapman (and oops, was that a grand slam?)

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

No idea.  I'd imagine if they had one in the Angels pen, they'd have to put one in the visitors pen too.   @Jeff Fletcher Any insight on where they have the Rapsodo stuff?  

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

No idea.  I'd imagine if they had one in the Angels pen, they'd have to put one in the visitors pen too.   @Jeff Fletcher Any insight on where they have the Rapsodo stuff?  

The little rapsodo devices are portable so they put them wherever they want. I am sure teams have them to use whenever they want to evaluate players in pregame work or when they’re injured, etc. 

I don’t think it would be really useful for in-game decisions. Are you thinking they’ll have 2 pitchers throwing next to each other, at 100 percent velocity, and bring in whoever has higher spin that day?

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The little rapsodo devices are portable so they put them wherever they want. I am sure teams have them to use whenever they want to evaluate players in pregame work or when they’re injured, etc. 

I don’t think it would be really useful for in-game decisions. Are you thinking they’ll have 2 pitchers throwing next to each other, at 100 percent velocity, and bring in whoever has higher spin that day?

I didn't have any opinion on the matter, I was responding to someone else's question. 

I asked you about the Rapsodo because I had no clue if they placed them anywhere specific and figured you might offer some insight..   Again, in hopes of getting a response to someone else's question.

I tend not to offer opinion or insights on things I have no real working knowledge of.   I know very little about how the Angels are utilizing the tech.