• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

FIRE MADDON

failos

4 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

joyless

That's a wonderful word to describe this season. 

I love baseball, and I particularly love Angels baseball, so even the last few seasons, when I have already suspected at the quarter-mark that the team wasn't going to be competitive, I still looked forward to watching games all summer long. I don't right now, and I haven't been able to articulate just why. But that's it: It's joyless. 

In a season where a lot of things have to go right for the Angels to compete, not much is. We keep waiting for the team to be at their optimal best and it has yet to happen. Just the opposite appears to be the case instead.

Can they turn it around? Absolutely. Will they? I have no idea. Is Joe Maddon the man to lead them? I have no idea, although I have my doubts and seriously doubt any changes will be made.

Like every other year, the success or failure of the organization is more about Arte than anyone else.

In the meantime, I’ll keep watching because I still look forward to seeing what will happen.

Edited by True Grich

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I keep reminding myself that managers don't impact W/L records all that much.  I also find myself constantly questioning if that is still true when the manager is always trying to prove he's a super genius.

At what point does a significant statistical outlier become a trend?  When do you realize that it's not just an anomaly and that a correction needs to be made?  Maybe it's not on Maddon.  Maybe it's something else, but at this point it's certainly something and there needs to be some level of accountability.  

One of the curious things about the whole Pujols thing was that Maddon kept playing him.  Did he do that to force the front office's hand so that he wouldn't be the bad guy?  Or did he keep playing him for some other reason?  If the front office didn't want Albert to play and Joe kept playing him - what does that say about the relationship between Minasian and Maddon? 

I don't trust Maddon.  I don't necessarily have a good reason for that, other than I just don't like him.  I think he'd do or say anything to make himself look good.  I've never been a fan of managers who love the spotlight.  Scioscia was never like that.  When the networks do the thing where they interview managers in the dugout - Scioscia never participated - he always had  his bench coach or his pitching coach talk.  Maddon loves the camera.  He loves the attention, IMO.

Again, I have no idea if he's any good as a manager.  What I do know is that I've never liked the guy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Managers are very difficult to assess. Good teams are generally good regardless of who the manager is, as with bad teams.

That said, I do think managers have a say in where in the spectrum of floor-to-ceiling performance a team ends up in. For instance, if the Angels are an 80-90 win team an win 88 games, it probably means the manager did a pretty good job.

The constant nit-picking of every play, though...I mean, in the end, Maddon is as good as the Angels final record for the year. I think the talent level of this team coming into the year was about 85 wins, so that would be a solid barometer for how he does, overall. 

Maddon's bullpen management is hilariously bad. Like so bad, it's probably worth -4.0 WAR. 

His lineup management has been good, though. Rendon wasn't getting it done, Ohtani got walked 3 times. Walsh gets moved to the 3 spot, Ohtani goes deep, Walsh drives in a run, Angels win by 1. 

Edge:

Chicago Cubs Baseball GIF by MLB