• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I wonder what the Angels' players are thinking right now.  

It probably helped that Stripling posted a douchey gif about being happy it didn't go through.  

I still think I'd be a little pissed about not getting a 30hr bat and solid SP because my owner went Kerouac.  

Maybe they like the idea that Arte didn't want players floating in the breeze in regard to their fate.   

I lean toward option 1.  

I don’t understand the second part. It’s not like they were on a bus somewhere. Or were told time to move. The deals weren’t even finalized and the season hadn’t even started yet. Either way those guys are all going to be in Arizona in a short bit they’d just have to be in a different color. I think you’re stretching it a bit on the players didn’t know their fate kind of stuff. But I like it. Let’s keep this thread going. 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I don’t understand the second part. It’s not like they were on a bus somewhere. Or were told time to move. The deals weren’t even finalized and the season hadn’t even started yet. Either way those guys are all going to be in Arizona in a short bit they’d just have to be in a different color. I think you’re stretching it a bit on the players didn’t know their fate kind of stuff. But I like it. Let’s keep this thread going. 

but the names were being mentioned in the media.  Yah they'll be in Arizona, but they have lives and families outside of baseball.  If your company had the authority to trade you to a company across town that was an hour plus away in traffic, wouldn't you want to know.  Wouldn't it also matter to you if that other company might have you working in a satellite office in another city an hr plane ride away and they weren't as likely to give you a chance to work at the main corporate office with the other major executives?  

Shit like that is unsettling to any human.   

6 minutes ago, JocStrapling said:

Have a very good feeling we will breath a sigh of relief this trade fell through. Jocs a good dude so I don’t wish failure on him, but Striplings another story. Have a feeling he’s go8ng to get torched this year. 

I was concerned about that as well.  He was a nice addition on paper and I would have welcomed him and hoped for the best but there are some red flags with him for sure.  Like his age, velo drop last year, and lack of innings under his belt.  Would I have taken him for the proposed deal?  Absolutely, but he was used in a different way for the dogs than he'd be used for the Angels and I wouldn't expect his enhanced role to result in as good of numbers.  

Even with Joc there were concerns.  

Let's be honest, the Dogs have more depth as a team which creates more opportunity to put players in a position to optimize their performance.  

It was still a favorable trade for the Angels though and I'm more bummed than happy it didn't happen.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

but the names were being mentioned in the media.  Yah they'll be in Arizona, but they have lives and families outside of baseball.  If your company had the authority to trade you to a company across town that was an hour plus away in traffic, wouldn't you want to know.  Wouldn't it also matter to you if that other company might have you working in a satellite office in another city an hr plane ride away and they weren't as likely to give you a chance to work at the main corporate office with the other major executives?  

Shit like that is unsettling to any human.   

I mean sure. Trades happen all the time in sports. This is probably the best case scenario. Being traded to a cross town rival an hour up/down the freeway. At the end of the day I don’t know if it matters that much in this sport. It’s 6-7 months long and you’re “home” for what 12 days the longest at a time. The entire thing travel schedule is unsettling other than the 5 star accommodations etc. there could be worse things in life. 

We will all forget about this when Eppler swings another trade including Rengifo + prospects for a better starting pitcher than Stripling. Joc was nice, but acquiring a starting pitcher is the priority. Especially getting one with limited starting experience, decreased velo and probably performed well pitching for an elite team like the Dodgers.

Edited by rafibomb

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

We will all forget about this when Eppler swings another trade including Rengifo + prospects for a better starting pitcher than Stripling. Joc was nice, but acquiring a starting pitcher is the priority. Especially getting one with limited starting experience, decreased velo and probably performed well pitching for an elite team like the Dodgers.

Elite team like the Dodgers? Are you saying the Angels aren’t elite? Are you saying that he wouldn’t have pitched well for the Angels? Are you saying the Dodgers have a better infield and outfield defense than the Angels?

I am merely trying to make this thread go 100 pages for an unnamed poster just an fyi 🤪

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Elite team like the Dodgers? Are you saying the Angels aren’t elite? Are you saying that he wouldn’t have pitched well for the Angels? Are you saying the Dodgers have a better infield and outfield defense than the Angels?

I am merely trying to make this thread go 100 pages for an unnamed poster just an fyi 🤪

haha!  I was totally gonna call you out on that.  

The dogs are better set up on the pitching side of things to optimize Striplings' strengths and minimize his weaknesses.  that's all.  

11 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I think @Dochalo put it best where I mean elite as in from top to bottom depth which allows them to utilize their players to their maximum potential.

To add to the discussion (and to the thread):

I wonder if knowing the prospects included in the deal would make us feel better about the deal falling apart.

What if the deal was say Rengifo + Chris Rodriguez/Soriano + Jordyn Adams ?

Edited by rafibomb

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I think Doc put it best where I mean elite as in from top to bottom depth which allows them to utilize their players to their maximum potential.

To add to the discussion (and to the thread):

I wonder if knowing the prospects included in the deal would make us feel better about the deal falling apart.

Definitely curious who the other two prospects were in the deal. Wonder why they never got named? Did it never get that far or were they players to be named later or whatever happens in trades sometimes? 

I have nothing left to give to the thread tonight. I believe in you guys. I expect to see 99 pages when I wake up I’ll help push it over the top. Goodnight y’all. 

6 hours ago, rafibomb said:

I think Fletcher said at one point the prospect(s) were maybe top 10 but not Adell or Marsh....I think he said that but I'd have to dig to verify it...Rengifo and Ward alone never made a lot of sense but maybe the Dodgers were that determined to shed Pederson's salary...

I'm ok with this trade not happening.  Pederson seems like Calhoun who the Angels determined to be unnecessary.  Stripling would have been nice.  So would have some of the other available pitchers this off season.

Rengifo's stock probably went up.....which is a good thing.

47 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think Fletcher said at one point the prospect(s) were maybe top 10 but not Adell or Marsh....I think he said that but I'd have to dig to verify it...Rengifo and Ward alone never made a lot of sense but maybe the Dodgers were determined to shed Pederson's salary...

I think that was a lot of it. Even with Pederson’s arb loss, he and Stripling combine for almost $10 mil, which is about how much LAD is over the CBT right now. That would explain the reports that LAD were still willing to make the deal after completing the Betts trade.

This is all to do about nothing really for the Dodgers.  They have unlimited funds and if they pay 17% tax this year on $15 million that is basically free for a team like that.  In 2021 they have about $120 million committed in payroll and less than $50 million the following year. So in 2021 they can give $40 million to Betts and still be well below the threshold.  

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Thank you for that. That would explain why they were “Whatever” when Arte nixed the deal.

True....but adding Betts makes their OF situation crowded so moving Pederson still makes sense, regardless of when the tax kicks in....

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

True....but adding Betts makes their OF situation crowded so moving Pederson still makes sense, regardless of when the tax kicks in....

I thought that too, but can’t they just put him in LF in a platoon with Taylor?  Am I missing someone?