• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think Eppler will get any more pitching?

Torridd

6 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

l think it's quite possible we'll regret not including Marsh in a trade for Kluber.

I sure hope not.  Just the idea of giving up all those years of club control of a guy as talented as Marsh for two years of Kluber is tough to do at this point in our window. 

51 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What a crock of shit.  So if you wanted to play for the Yankees and they offered you $324 million, what’s getting you to sign with the Angels? If you wanted to return to the team you just won the World Series with, what changes your mind?  If you wanted to be back East so much that you turned down more money from the White Sox, what makes you go further west, like all the way west?   It can’t simply be money, because the money is there for all teams.  As has been pointed out by others here, if the Angels matched the Yankees deal (which by the way Boras doesn’t tell other teams what they’re bidding against) he still probably picks the Yankees or the Yankees increase their offer.  Hell we call it a $324 deal but it has an option to make it $360 million, the same as Trouts extension.  

OK, you disagree. I really believe Eppler's primary job was to get a pitcher of note this free agency and he didn't do that. He has to take responsibility for that despite picking up Rendon.

10 hours ago, RendZone said:

The Dodgers decision to not re-sign Ryu won’t hurt their chances to win the NL West. The Angels decision to not sign Ryu will hurt their chances at contending for the second wild card. Two teams that are in completely different situations. Ryu in an Angels six man rotation would’ve been huge. 

Certainly the Angels chances in 2020 would have been better with Ryu than without him. But you can understand why they wouldn’t want to risk $80M over four years on a guy with his medical history.

12 minutes ago, Torridd said:

OK, you disagree. I really believe Eppler's primary job was to get a pitcher of note this free agency and he didn't do that. He has to take responsibility for that despite picking up Rendon.

When EppArteler missed out on Cole, he, (Arte) quickly turned his attention to the long ball again. 

Edited by RendZone

5 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Here I thought his job was to just make the team better.   

6 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Ryu woke up one morning from his sunny Socal home and decided that he wanted to move to Canada and become a Blue Jay. 

You wanted innings eaters, not pitchers that need to be babied..  you said this constantly...  Hilarious that after YEARS of constantly questioning the intelligence of signing expensive FA's on the wrong side of 30 you all of a sudden are good with throwing 80+ mil at a 33 year old SP that has thrown a total of 396 the last four seasons.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

You wanted innings eaters, not pitchers that need to be babied..  you said this constantly...  Hilarious that after YEARS of constantly questioning the intelligence of signing expensive FA's on the wrong side of 30 you all of a sudden are good with throwing 80+ mil at a 33 year old SP that has thrown a total of 396 the last four seasons.

Well, that’s weird. 

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

2.32 era with a 1.007 whip. 

Do we have anyone close to doing that on our staff? $20M per for a frontline starter is pretty reasonable. 

edit. I personally like the Ryu deal at $80M more than the $300+ kabillion for Cole. 

Edited by RendZone

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Certainly the Angels chances in 2020 would have been better with Ryu than without him. But you can understand why they wouldn’t want to risk $80M over four years on a guy with his medical history.

I'm also going to speculate that he'd have taken less money to stay with the Dodgers.  

8 minutes ago, RendZone said:

2.32 era with a 1.007 whip. 

Do we have anyone close to doing that on our staff? $20M per for a frontline starter is pretty reasonable. 

I know the stats, I also know you've spent years calling pitchers on pitch counts pussies and longing for guys that weren't injury risks.    The only constant here is your desire to try to talk shit on whatever moves the Angels do or don't make.  

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

Yeah I'll give you Ryu. I mean I would've invested 4/80 in him, but can't deny the existence of those red flags.

Gibson is more than a fifth starter and we'll see that come to fruition in Texas. Pineda is healthy and has been for a stretch now, and when he's healthy, he's had stretch runs off absolute dominance. Twins got him back cheap. 

And the funny thing about those geographical preferences, they don't mean jack squat if you offer more money. If money is equal, does Cole pick NY? Doubtful. I know he said championships but that's just playing to the crowd. Corbina and Wheeler are on Eppler, not on some notion that they don't like Southern California. 

The one I won't pin on Eppler is Charlie Morton though. The only two clubs he'd play for were the Braves and Rays and he stuck to that. 

But then again, sometimes losing out isn't all bad. Eovaldi comes immediately to mind.

I mean, I guess anything is possible with Gibson, like any pitcher with a modicum of talent but this a 32 year old who has had two good seasons (2015, 2018), was 4.84 ERA 95 ERA+ 1.444 WHIP last season, and 4.52 ERA 94 ERA+ 1.411 WHIP lifetime in 7 total seasons who also gives up a lot of hits and a decent amount of HRs going to Texas...so, yeah.  Maybe he becomes a solid 3 starter or something but you can see why Eppler didn't commit $30 mil to him when you basically traded for a younger, cheaper version in Bundy (4.67 ERA 95 ERA+ 1.330 WHIP lifetime).

Pineda was really good in 2019 after missing a season and a half due to injury, and it sounds like his PED issue was was questionable enough that the MLB knocked it down from 80 to 60 games on appeal, but, without knowing anything around the negotiations, I can't say if ANY team had a shot at Pineda outside the Twins as he signed Dec 5th, 3 days before the Winter Meetings.

In regards to Cole, the money was never going to be equal.  The Yankees were willing to offer 9 years to a starting pitcher...only the Yankees (maybe the Dodgers) can reasonably absorb $300+ million in guaranteed money and keep chugging along if things go south.  So, Angels match 9 years, here come the Yankees - 10 years, more AAV, you matching that still?

Corbin only entertained offers from the Phillies, Yankees and Nationals...and he only went with the Nationals as they were the only team willing to offer a 6th year.  

4 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I mean, I guess anything is possible with Gibson, like any pitcher with a modicum of talent but this a 32 year old who has had two good seasons (2015, 2018), was 4.84 ERA 95 ERA+ 1.444 WHIP last season, and 4.52 ERA 94 ERA+ 1.411 WHIP lifetime in 7 total seasons who also gives up a lot of hits and a decent amount of HRs going to Texas...so, yeah.  Maybe he becomes a solid 3 starter or something but you can see why Eppler didn't commit $30 mil to him when you basically traded for a younger, cheaper version in Bundy (4.67 ERA 95 ERA+ 1.330 WHIP lifetime).

Pineda was really good in 2019 after missing a season and a half due to injury, and it sounds like his PED issue was was questionable enough that the MLB knocked it down from 80 to 60 games on appeal, but, without knowing anything around the negotiations, I can't say if ANY team had a shot at Pineda outside the Twins as he signed Dec 5th, 3 days before the Winter Meetings.

In regards to Cole, the money was never going to be equal.  The Yankees were willing to offer 9 years to a starting pitcher...only the Yankees (maybe the Dodgers) can reasonably absorb $300+ million in guaranteed money and keep chugging along if things go south.  So, Angels match 9 years, here come the Yankees - 10 years, more AAV, you matching that still?

Corbin only entertained offers from the Phillies, Yankees and Nationals...and he only went with the Nationals as they were the only team willing to offer a 6th year.  

I was a pretty loud proponent of signing both Pineda and Gibson -- because I viewed them as potential value pick ups.  Gibson has it in him to be better than he's been, stuff wise.  I think pitching in front of Minnesota's awful defenses may have hurt his numbers some -- but the thing with him is the ability to eat innings.  Pineda was a pure upside play.  When he's been healthy he's always been a solid pitcher with the ability to dominate at times.    Ultimately both guys signed for cheap -- and that IMO was the primary reason to target them both.   I regret missing out on those two guys more than the name guys people here lost their shit over..    Alex Wood was another guy I was talking about as early as October.  

33 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I know the stats, I also know you've spent years calling pitchers on pitch counts pussies and longing for guys that weren't injury risks.    The only constant here is your desire to try to talk shit on whatever moves the Angels do or don't make.  

You’re spinning out of control. You know damn well that after missing out on Cole and signing an elite 3B in Rendon, the possibility of signing Ryu quickly became more about money than possible injuries.