• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think Eppler will get any more pitching?

Torridd

I wouldn’t be surprised either way.  Has he done enough?  I think they are set to open the season providing Ohtani starts the season on the mound.  If he doesn’t start pitching until May then I’d be pretty surprised if there isn’t another MLB starter added through trade.  I think the cost of Boyd or Gray will come down as the season approaches.  

42 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

Taijuan Walker should be given a shot. But I feel it would have been done by now if we were serious.

I agree....If he is still pursuing a trade or trades, you would think Walker would be on the back burner...

13 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Eppler will pull a Cody Allen type rabbit out of his hat.

Image result for clint eastwood gif

Unless Bundy, Canning or Sandoval have a huge breakout and emerge as mid rotation starters AND Ohtani is healthy and pitches like an ace AND Andrew Heaney is healthy and effective next year AND the rest of the staff stays healthy, there's no freakin way Billy Eppler has done enough in pitching.  Not even close.

But I still don't see him adding any pitching. The reason being is that Billy waited out the FA market and was left with his dick in his hands, and now other teams are asking for the moon and stars in return for their pitchers and there's nothing to suggest prices will suddenly fall. So Billy either acts in desperation and pays more than a pitcher is worth and depletes the farm, or he has to sit tight and hope another opportunity arises. 

So far, he hasn't overpaid, so I don't think he will act in desperation. But without another move, it's unlikely the Angels are a playoff team, or even that competitive of a team, beyond getting over that .500 hump. 

And that might cost Eppler his job, and rightly so.

However, I do think they're is still some opportunity to improve out there. Jon Gray or German Marquez in Colorado, or Jon Lester or Jose Quintana in Chicago, or Chris Archer in Pittsburgh. 

But I don't think Eppler will make a deal, preferring Sandoval and Andriese as the sixth starter over a veteran starter, which pages Canning into that role.

Waited out the free agency market sounds a lot like not overpaying.  The free agents that weren’t overpaid and could possibly have made a difference is MadBum and who else?  I guess Wheeler.  When Wheeler signed he got more than expected, but after how free agency has gone the last few years no one knew the market would blow up like this for pitching, not after the last couple of years.  If you need any indication of how quickly the market blew up for Cole, the initial rumor came out that the Yankees were going to set an all time high for a starting pitcher and offer him 7 years and $245 million.  A week later he got $80 million more.  So if you want to say he struck out on the two aces, go for it, but I’d like to see the logic of how those two arms would have chosen the Angels versus the teams they signed with.  Guys like Gibson aren’t difference makers.  If he signed Gibson, or Roark or Keuchel sure the staff is better, but the people bitching that he didn’t do enough would still be bitching he didn’t do enough.  The only thing that would have been enough is signing Cole.  Or Wheeler and Keuchel.  He will look to the trade market to improve the rotation.  He won’t panic, he will stay the course.  The ONLY way he panics is if the team is in contention at the deadline and he can add what he feels is a top of the rotation arm and he pays the price for that arm with Marsh, Adams or others.  

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Dude, this is nonsense but keep spinning it if it makes you feel some righteous anger or something...

Again, let's revisit what happened this season:

- Strasburg - 31/32 years old in 2020, signed a 7 year deal with the team who drafted him and he just won a World Series with that previous season.  We going 8 years on him to pay him $35 mil into age 40?

- Cole - Angels offered him 8 years and were outbid by the Yankees who offered 9 years.  Do we offer 10 years guaranteed to a pitcher?

- Wheeler - Took less money and years to stay on the East Coast near New Jersey.  If he won't go for 6 years, do you offer 7?  Do you up it $25+ million per season?

- Bumgarner - Took less money to play in AZ to be near his horse ranch.  Are we offering a 6th year, $120 mil?

- Keuchel - Do you go 4 to 5 years, close to $20 mil guaranteed to take him away from the White Sox?  All that for maybe a 3 starter?  

- Ryu - A pitcher so desired on the market that his own team didn't make an effort to keep him and ended up signing with a basement dwelling Blue Jays.

- Kluber - I'm guessing you give up Marsh and Sandoval for him, right?

"Waited out", come on...

You guys keep waiting for him to make his "Vernon Wells" panic trade and he hasn't because he knows the ability to acquire players doesn't end today or next week or in Spring Training or April...he can acquire players to impact this season up until July 31st, that's his timeline.  

Yep.  But you know Eppler and his dick and stuff.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Yep.  But you know Eppler and his dick and stuff.  

I get Eppler is harshing some people's buzzes around here with the thoughts that we could have conceivably bought a pitching staff in the offseason or that a wayward GM would trade a frontline starting pitcher for a handful of Rondons but the reality is he competing against other highly competitive teams, some with deeper pockets or farms, that are trying to win as well.  Fact is, we got better, all around, he did his job without sacrificing the immediate or longterm future and still has financial flexibility to make an impact move.

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I get Eppler is harshing some people's buzzes around here with the thoughts that we could have conceivably bought a pitching staff in the offseason or that a wayward GM would trade a frontline starting pitcher for a handful of Rondons but the reality is he competing against other highly competitive teams, some with deeper pockets or farms, that are trying to win as well.  Fact is, we got better, all around, he did his job without sacrificing the immediate or longterm future and still has financial flexibility to make an impact move.

Yep, which GM lands us Cole or Strasburg Or Wheeler?  Also how long until DC regrets that contract?  Which top of the rotation arms have been traded this off season?  Kluber and who else?  Also I don’t know of anyone that would have given up Marsh for Kluber and if that is what Cleveland asked for I guess that is proof that Eppler isn’t going to panic.