• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Zack Cozart and Will Wilson to the Giants for cash and PTBNL

bloodbrother

I think the Angels trading away a first round pick to save $12m means something else.  I don’t think they do this deal just to save the salary.  But I think they DO do this trade if they needed the savings to stay under the luxury tax.

So I view the move as an indication that Arte is willing to go right up to the luxury tax.

Edited by Dtwncbad

29 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I might be the first in this thread to say it, but I'm really not a fan of this move at all.

41 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Orlando Martinez joins our top 30 prospects, with Wilson being traded.

So you can relax, ALF. 

Orlando made wilson expendable.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think the Angels trading away a first round pick to save $12m means something else.  I don’t think they do this deal just to save the salary.  But I think they DO do this trade if they needed the savings to stay under the luxury tax.

So I view the move as an indication that Arte is willing to go right up to the luxury tax.

I think people are happy with this move because it raises expectations. Honestly I think you guys are reading it wrong. This is not an indication that the team is going to spend up closer to the luxury tax number, it's that the teams budgetary limit was a lot lower than most of the optimists had hoped. Ultimately I think this move helps up accommodate Cole's rapidly ballooning average annual value and not much else.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think people are happy with this move because it raises expectations. Honestly I think you guys are reading it wrong. This is not an indication that the team is going to spend up closer to the luxury tax number, it's that the teams budgetary limit was a lot lower than most of the optimists had hoped. Ultimately I think this move helps up accommodate Cole's rapidly ballooning average annual value and not much else.

I think it cleared space to bring calhoun back.

Headline reads "Angels sign Kole!"

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

The move was designed to reduce the total layout that Moreno is about to expend for the off-season. Moving Cozart's full salary relieves Club Payroll only. This will actually allow actual costs to stick around the $190M-$200M mark if we sign both Gerrit and Rendon. We will still go over the CBT threshold but the maximum penalty if you stay under the $228M mark is no more than $4M as a first-time offender. This will be minor compared to total payroll.

It was a total expenditure relief measure so that beer prices don't go up THAT much!

Unfortunately, the Angels were forced into this trade. I’m sure this isn’t what they had in mind when they used their first round pick to sign this kid and $3.4M dollars 😞 

What a horrible signing Cozart turned out to be. Anyways it’s done and let’s move forward and used the dollars saved wisely. 😃 

26 minutes ago, ettin said:

I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

The move was designed to reduce the total layout that Moreno is about to expend for the off-season. Moving Cozart's full salary relieves Club Payroll only. This will actually allow actual costs to stick around the $190M-$200M mark if we sign both Gerrit and Rendon. We will still go over the CBT threshold but the maximum penalty if you stay under the $228M mark is no more than $4M as a first-time offender. This will be minor compared to total payroll.

It was a total expenditure relief measure so that beer prices don't go up THAT much!

Basically, I see trading Wilson as essentially saying “We’re going all in on the next five years and not worrying as much on the couple after that.” Dumping Cozart says they’re willing to do that in exchange for getting a bit of salary relief. That suggests they’re spending money. Whether Arte is actually going over the tax or just wants more flexibility is not yet clear.

3 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Basically, I see trading Wilson as essentially saying “We’re going all in on the next five years and not worrying as much on the couple after that.” Dumping Cozart says they’re willing to do that in exchange for getting a bit of salary relief. That suggests they’re spending money. Whether Arte is actually going over the tax or just wants more flexibility is not yet clear.

Yes on everything except the last part.

This is simply a move to reduce the total amount Moreno pays in 2020 (and 2021 to a degree). Whether they go over the tax or not is certainly still in question but this is an all-in season, of that I have absolutely no doubt and they are trying to go super big but like everything else in life nothing is guaranteed. Think they will get there though, we are in the right position.

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

Yes on everything except the last part.

This is simply a move to reduce the total amount Moreno pays in 2020 (and 2021 to a degree). Whether they go over the tax or not is certainly still in question but this is an all-in season, of that I have absolutely no doubt and they are trying to go super big but like everything else in life nothing is guaranteed. Think they will get there though, we are in the right position.

Only reason I wonder is when Maddon signed, Arte was quoted as saying going over the luxury tax is unlikely. That could have changed, obviously. I hope it has. 

4 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Only reason I wonder is when Maddon signed, Arte was quoted as saying going over the luxury tax is unlikely. That could have changed, obviously. I hope it has. 

It'll be close and may involve the addition of an extra year to help bring AAV down. Deferred money might be added to help bring 2020 and 2021 club payrolls down. Lot of math going on.

In the end though I don't think the CBT threshold is a barrier, despite what was said. We need an ace starter, a long-term solution at 3B, extend Simmons because we need a long-term defensive solution at SS (and Andrelton is the best at that), a solution at 1B (at least for a year or two if the club believes in Walsh, Thaiss, or Ward enough), and of course a good catcher (the latter isn't that big of an issue though) or two.

That is a lot of money so I think Moreno is going to go past the CBT threshold when all is said and done but we'll see. Exciting times!

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We've made two moves this offseason and they have both moved prospects in exchange for cash. Just spend some goddamn money and worry about pinching pennies later.

You do realize this move gives the team more spending power, right? 

Angels Trade Zack Cozart, Will Wilson To Clear Salary

will_wilson_ncstate_carlkline.jpg

SAN DIEGO — The Angels needed to clear payroll space to pursue a marquee free agent this offseason. In order to do that, they had to part with their most recent first-round pick.

The Angels traded third baseman Zack Cozart and infielder Will Wilson to the Giants for cash or a player to be named later on Tuesday.

The Giants are picking up all of Cozart's $12.67 million salary in 2020. Wilson, drafted 15th overall in June, was the enticement for the Giants to do that.

The cleared salary space gives the Angels room to offer a larger contract to Gerrit Cole or other free agents they are pursuing. The Giants, meanwhile, add an infield veteran for the short-term and a recent first-round pick for the long-term.

Giants acquire

Zack Cozart, 3B

The Angels signed Cozart to a three-year, $38 million contact after the 2017 season, but he played just 96 games for them after having season-ending shoulder surgery each of the last two years. Cozart offers the Giants versatility around the infield and has hit for average and power at his peak, but his health is a major concern. He will be a free agent after the 2020 season.

Will Wilson, SS/2B

The Angels drafted Wilson 15th overall out of North Carolina State after he hit .335 with 16 home runs and won Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player in the Year, but scouts were underwhelmed during Wilson's pro debut in the Rookie-level Pioneer League. Wilson has a contact-oriented swing that mostly sends line drives up the middle, but he flashes gap power that could grow into more as he adds weight and strength. He shows vision, hands and feel at shortstop, but he's a below-average runner whose range is better-suited for second base. While no one thinks Wilson is a bad player, few thought he was worthy of a first-round pick, with many scouts labeling him a future utilityman. He'll move to full-season ball in 2020 and try to prove those projections wrong.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/angels-trade-zack-cozart-will-wilson-to-giants-in-salary-dump/