• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stephen Strasburg re-signs with the Nationals (7 years, $245 million)

mmc

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Please get back on your meds ASAP.

So, you're content with hovering around .500? Good to know. Let me break it down: Our chance to compete is so close to zero, it's basically non-existent if we don't get an ace. There is no ace available to trade for. There is no other ace on the market. If we don't get Cole, we're stuck with poor options that keep our rotation mediocre or require us to spend prospect capital we can't afford. 

Unless we get ridiculously lucky with what we have now or whoever else we grab, the rotation will stay in the mediocre/bad range. The offense isn't good enough to cover that. We won't be a playoff team. 

There is no ace next year that is a difference maker like Cole. 

In other words, we have no backup plan. It's this or concede.

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

So, you're content with hovering around .500? Good to know. Let me break it down: Our chance to compete is so close to zero, it's basically non-existent if we don't get an ace. There is no ace available to trade for. There is no other ace on the market. If we don't get Cole, we're stuck with poor options that keep our rotation mediocre or require us to spend prospect capital we can't afford. 

Unless we get ridiculously lucky with what we have now or whoever else we grab, the rotation will stay in the mediocre/bad range. The offense isn't good enough to cover that. We won't be a playoff team. 

You’re not wrong.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You keep making these proclamations about what the Yankees will do and what will happen as if it's fact...    Do you think you'll actually ever be right?    Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for you on this one but to date you're batting 0.000.

I’m saying that the Yankees will drop out of the running. They made an offer that they knew wouldn’t sign him. They don’t need him as bad as the Angels. They have too many movable pieces both in the majors and the minors to get another starting pitcher. They are very content that Cole is leaving Houston. They could make zero moves and still be AL favorites next season. 

9 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

and signing Cole isn't big enough to make up for the mediocre offense and terrible bullpen 

Not good news. Remember when the estimate was something like 5/$150M? 

This means a few things: One, Cole will DEFINITELY get at least 8 years, and quite possibly 9 or even 10. He’ll also get at least $35M AAV.

So the new baseline is probably 8/$280M, but I now expect $300M or more. Not sure if Arte will go for that.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

and signing Cole isn't big enough to make up for the mediocre offense and terrible bullpen 

The offense is fine if it can stay healthy. And our bullpen will be much better with less of a work load. Middleton, Buttrey and Robles is a good 7-8-9.

12 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Your doom and gloom outlook is way over the top.

The Nats have screwed with the salary structure.

Strasburg may be one of the best, when healthy.    But that's the problem, how often will he be healthy enough to pitch regulation innings for a season?

TWICE in the past FIVE years, he has exceeded 150 innings.   And that comes several years AFTER his TJS.

I have a feeling that MLB executives are going to be pissed at the Nats.

Edited by Angel Oracle

20 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

People cant see the forest for the trees.   

Cole makes it so the Angels can find another arm and wait on the farm's arms to continue to develop.   He extends the window that if you squint is only now opening.  If they end up having to trade for pitching they are effectively shutting that window before it opens.

This team in two years with Cole, Trout, Ohtani and in a perfect world scenario; Adell and Marsh has a youthful core with upside and cost certainty.   Without him, they are paying more for mid-tier guys and likely trading away the guys that would allow them to afford the bigger/better names.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Personally, minus a Cole level pitcher the road gets decidedly more difficult.  Could they compete -- sure, but the road to contention gets considerably more difficult.

that's different than saying if we don't get Cole (specifically), then we should trade Trout and Ohtani and rebuild.