• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bumgarner, Ryu & Bundy or Cole/Strasburg & Bundy?

Chuck

So if we missed out on two of the top starters, would you be disappointed if the Angels signed both Bumgarner and Ryu to trio up with Ohtani atop the rotation? 

I mean, we could probably sign Bumgarner, Ryu & Teheran for the same price of Gerrit Cole or even Stephen Strasburg.

Thoughts?

I think Ryu is gonna be a pretty good value wherever he goes. Dude isn't flashy, but he misses the big part of the bat, and does so very consistently. I know there have been some injuries in the past, but I feel like he gets you near ace-level results for a significantly lower price.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

But Bumgarner and Ryu are quality and much better than what we can throw out there right now and pairing them with Ohtani who is a clear #1 type starter, you got yourself a nice rotation. 

Do you think Arte is ready to add $45 million a year to the payroll?  

But Bumgarner and Ryu are quality and much better than what we can throw out there right now and pairing them with Ohtani who is a clear #1 type starter, you got yourself a nice rotation. 

Maybe, but I'm of the belief that you cannot win without a true ace, and this is our best opportunity to get one, and might be our only one without having to give up massive prospect capital for quite awhile.  I don't think Bumgarner and Ryu are at that level.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Are we sure about? He was good, not great, his first year and is coming off of TJ surgery. I think he's a wild card right now. 

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Ohtani is not a clear #1 starter right now. He won't be until he shows he can pitch 160+ innings with the results you need to be on that level. Right now I'll call him a risky #2-3 starter

I still think we'll get Cole and that will be about it

5 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Maybe, but I'm of the belief that you cannot win without a true ace, and this is our best opportunity to get one, and might be our only one without having to give up massive prospect capital for quite awhile.  I don't think Bumgarner and Ryu are at that level.

Did we have a true Ace in 2002? I think three no 2’s is pretty solid. Bumgarner, Ryu, Ohtani, and a no 3 in Heaney followed by the depth of a bunch of 4’s or 5’s is better than anything we’ve had in years. 

Edited by Calzone 2

Just now, mymerlincat said:

The 2002 Angels won without a true ace. I'd argue that Bumgarner and Ryu are much better than Jarrod Washburn too. 

The 1987 Twins didn't have a true #1 type starter as their top two guys were innings eaters Bert Blyleven and Frank Viola. There are other clubs too that won the big dance without a Stephen Strasburg or Gerrit Cole type.

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Ohtani is not a clear #1 starter right now. He won't be until he shows he can pitch 160+ innings with the results you need to be on that level. Right now I'll call him a risky #2-3 starter

Ohtani has #1 ace type stuff, that's what I meant. 

Every pitcher you sign is a risk, and Ohtani is no different, but he has the type of star power that Cole and Strasburg have to take the ball in game 1 and game 7 of a World Series. 

That to me is the definition of a #1. 

2 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Did we have a true Ace in 2002? I think three no 2’s is pretty solid. Bumgarner, Ryu, Ohtani, and a no 3 in Heaney followed by the depth of a bunch of 4’s or 5’s is better than anything we’ve had in years. 

The 2002 Angels won without a true ace. I'd argue that Bumgarner and Ryu are much better than Jarrod Washburn too. 

The 1987 Twins didn't have a true #1 type starter as their top two guys were innings eaters Bert Blyleven and Frank Viola. There are other clubs too that won the big dance without a Stephen Strasburg or Gerrit Cole type.

I'm not sure it's possible in today's environment.  If you look at the teams who have been in the World Series lately, 2019: Astros (Cole, Verlander, Greinke) vs Nationals (Scherzer, Strasburg), 2018: Dodgers (Kershaw) vs Red Sox (Sale), 2017: Dodgers (Kershaw, Darvish) vs Astros (Verlander), 2016: Indians (Kluber) vs Cubs (Lester), 2015: Mets (deGrom) vs Royals (Cueto).  We need someone of that caliber of that caliber.