• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Morosi: Angels among four "leading contenders" for Zack Wheeler

rafibomb

47 minutes ago, tchula said:

I seriously doubt we'll lose a pick if we sign Cole.  I have a feeling the Astros won't be picking in the next three rounds of the MLB draft for at least 2 if not 3 years. 

I don't think that's how this works anymore. In the old system the other team got the pick, now it's just one team loses and a compensatory pick is given to the other team. Angels lose their pick whether or not the Astros draft.

5 hours ago, tchula said:

I seriously doubt we'll lose a pick if we sign Cole.  I have a feeling the Astros won't be picking in the next three rounds of the MLB draft for at least 2 if not 3 years. 

That's a good question, if we do sign Cole and Houston loses picks, do we keep those picks?

55 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Astros would pay off MLB to make sure Dipoto got them. 

The other teams would protest, until they realized it wouldnt hurt them in any way.

Yep, Dumbpoto would trade them all within two years anyway, for some nearly washed up relievers like Pestano.

10 hours ago, tchula said:

one thing doesn't have to do with the other. the angels will lose their 2nd round pick if they sign cole. it doesn't go to the astros, it just goes away.

I'm starting to think that the main choice was between Wheeler and Grandal.  Similar AAV.  Similar number of years although Wheeler likely to get 1 more.  

If I had to choose between Cole, Wheeler and a bargain at C or Cole, Grandal and a bargain 2nd starter, I choose the former.  

1 hour ago, zenmaster said:

I have a feeling the white sox are going to end up with him. They have a lot of cash, are opening up their wallets, and not afraid to overspend. A dangerous combo.

we have a fair amount to spend as well.  I think the Angels will be more aggressive with Wheeler than Grandal.  

I really dont want another off season of being "contenders"...
That having been said if @Dochalo is right and it comes down to either spending on a C or spending on a better secondary pitcher, then the choice is obvious. 
Ive said many times i think we need to fill one of those spots in trade, whether its for the second pitcher or the C doesnt really matter. 

24 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Why not offer Wheeler a year longer than anyone else offers? If he has 5 year offers on the table, offer him a 6th year. Same thing with Cole - go to 8 years if need be. Plenty of teams have locked up pitchers late into their 30s (Greinke, Sale, Scherzer, Verlander, to name a few).

Just give him $3.5 million more per year than you were willing to give him