• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Hamilton Rule...

red321

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/atlantic-league-to-experiment-with-batters-stealing-first-base/

The Atlantic League will be experimenting with a new rule in the second half of the season

In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.

Just now, DCAngelsFan said:

Seems obvious - but if on the first pitch, it goes to the backstop, and the runner tries for first but is thrown out.  They're "out", right?  I mean, they don't get to go back to a 1-0 count?  

The author asks a reasonable question - who asked for this?  

That would be my guess, basically the batter can't leave the batter's box, if they do it's consider attempting to "steal first". Could create some interesting scenarios like what if there is a runner on first and he doesn't attempt to advance but the runner at the plate tries to go to first.

Not sure why this is necessary

6 minutes ago, red321 said:

That would be my guess, basically the batter can't leave the batter's box, if they do it's consider attempting to "steal first". Could create some interesting scenarios like what if there is a runner on first and he doesn't attempt to advance but the runner at the plate tries to go to first.

I would guess that it would work like with the current rules when the batter strikes out, but the ball gets away and the batter goes to first but the runner on 1st stays there?

19 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I would guess that it would work like with the current rules when the batter strikes out, but the ball gets away and the batter goes to first but the runner on 1st stays there?

How could it count as an out though?  none was recorded.   This isnt quite the same scenario.   It would almost have to be no at bat i would think more like a BB than a K.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Interesting.  Im not sure i like it, but if it will add excitement to the game im down.  
How does it get scored, wild pitch no at bat?  I assume that is hes thrown out hes out and doesnt just go back to batting?  

Im not sure of their implementation, but the idea I had been pitching is to treat the batter just like any other base runner. You make the entire batters box his safe area, and if he leaves it he can be tagged out. Once the batter leaves the home plate area it becomes a force out just like any ball in play.

42 minutes ago, red321 said:

I guess, the rule would be similar to a infield fly runner may advance at that their own risk. 

2 hours ago, red321 said:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/atlantic-league-to-experiment-with-batters-stealing-first-base/

The Atlantic League will be experimenting with a new rule in the second half of the season

In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.

"May" run to 1st base? what if he doesn't? can they tag him out? lots of open ends on this.

how about anyone walked on 4 straight pitches gets a 2 base walk