• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

So they want him fo get used to pitching from a two run deficit before he even throws his first pitch. Solid Angels logic.

Not saying I agree with the logic, but if they plan on using an opener when he starts it's not the worst idea to simulate that in his starts now. I would imagine it's a little bit different coming out of the pen versus a starters normal routine as they have to sit through the first inning. 

Beasley pitched well tonight.  Works quick.  throws strikes.  didn't get a couple calls or he'd have had a couple more k's.  solid stuff.  not overwhelming but he'll get his chances at mlb.   

Gatto's line didn't look great but he also could have easily k'd the side if not for a stingy ump.  Jones also made an error on a pretty routine play ranging to his left.  Gatto seemed to be throwing harder than everyone else.  The one hit he gave up was on a pitch left up.  His curve is a really good pitch.  

Clark was pretty impressive.  Stuff didn't wow me but hitters had trouble with his fastball and his slider was pretty sharp.  

the Bears had several hard hit balls between CF and RF only to see them die out on the track.  

I wanted to see how Cowart was doing in the minors.  Still not hitting, but in 2 AAA pitching appearances, he's done:

1.2 innings, 9 hits, 1 walk, 1HBP, 8 runs.

That's an ERA of 43.20, WHIP of 6.000, and a H/9 of 48.6.

54 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I wanted to see how Cowart was doing in the minors.  Still not hitting, but in 2 AAA pitching appearances, he's done:

1.2 innings, 9 hits, 1 walk, 1HBP, 8 runs.

That's an ERA of 43.20, WHIP of 6.000, and a H/9 of 48.6.

Those numbers are inflated due to the PCL. If he were in the Majors it'd probably only be an ERA of 37.00, WHIP of 5.50 and H/9 of 40.0

8 minutes ago, Scott34 said:

Holy shit Jordyn Adams has 10 errors.... as an outfielder? What?

He's really starting to hit which I guess is more important but still..

Meanwhile Brady Singer who was ranked as one of the best arms in the draft went a pick after us and has been lights out, already up to AA. #SMFH

Jordyn Adams is talented and may take 4 years, maybe 5-6 to get to the big leagues. 

Or he could be the next Hutchins, Witherspoon, Clark or Boldin.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Meanwhile Brady Singer who was ranked as one of the best arms in the draft went a pick after us and has been lights out, already up to AA. #SMFH

Jordyn Adams is talented and may take 4 years, maybe 5-6 to get to the big leagues. 

Definitely. Still think it was a good pick though. Love the high upside/low ceiling guys. It's a good change of pace from Dipoto's dumb drafts. 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The pick was both exciting because of what Adell was doing, and the dunk, but also a lefty down because it was yet another OF. But it's pretty clear, at least so far, those that were pushing for someone like Nolan Gorman or Brady Singer guessed right. 

I love the athleticism and all, but it's no coincidence that Griffin Canning has been the best pitcher on the staff this season. Elite collegiate pitching prospects that climb the ladder quickly can impact the major league team far sooner than their prep position playing counterparts.

This isn't to say we need to go full Dipoto and only draft college arms,  it's just to say that when you have a staff and farm system that lacks upside on the mound, and an elite collegiate pitcher is available in the draft, you should pick him, and not yet another OF that won't be ready for four years and you'll have to trade away anyway because you have eight others just freaking like him. 

The dunk wasn't exciting at all - it was a gimmick. In no way does an ability to dunk a basketball, no matter how impressively, translate to baseball skills.

I see Adams have three basic outcomes of roughly equal likelihood (one-third chance each):

1) He flames out, like Clarke or Hutchins (hopefully not Bolden). Meaning, the athleticism and raw talent doesn't translate to baseball skill.

2) He sends up as a solid major leaguer, something between a good role player to an average regular, but not a star. 1-3ish WAR player.

3) He becomes a star of some degree, 4-6+ WAR.

To some degree the speed by which he advances has some bearing on how he ends up. Stars tend to rise more quickly - adjusting well at each level with few if any developmental snags. This doesn't mean his current difficulty in A ball means he won't become a star, but that at some point this year we need to see him do well and take a big step forward.

Every player's development is unique, so you just never know--especially with a natural talent like Adams--but the point is, the range of possible outcomes is very broad, and relatively evenly dispersed - at this point, at least. For instance, if Adams is 33/33/33 in the above three outcomes, Adell is probably something like 5/25/70 (which is why he's a true grade A prospect), and Marsh is 10/60/30, a solid B/B+ prospect, not far from Adams (who I'd call a B prospect), but with less upside but a higher ceiling.

I feel like Adams is in his 'too many mind' phase (yes, I watched the last Samurai the other day).   He's not a baseball player yet.  

Even though I was vocally in favor of Gorman from last year's draft, it doesn't mean that Adams was a bad pick.  We are three years away from making that determination.  

31 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I feel like Adams is in his 'too many mind' phase (yes, I watched the last Samurai the other day).   He's not a baseball player yet.  

Even though I was vocally in favor of Gorman from last year's draft, it doesn't mean that Adams was a bad pick.  We are three years away from making that determination.  

True, although right now I'd happily swap Adams for Singer or Gorman.

You guys remember Sean Rodriguez? Utility fielder that couldn't hit and was part of the Kazmir trade way back when. He has managed to carve out a 12 year career and make about $20 million.

Always the cheapest guy on the team but you can plug him in anywhere. He had a full season back in 2016 where he was actually good at baseball. He is back to being a utility guy. 

Point is some of these prospects that aren't so flashy may just end up playing longer than their peers with more recognition. Of all the players drafted in the third round of 2003, only Sean and Andrew Miller are still playing. Every other player flamed out years ago. 

20 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You guys remember Sean Rodriguez? Utility fielder that couldn't hit and was part of the Kazmir trade way back when. He has managed to carve out a 12 year career and make about $20 million.

Always the cheapest guy on the team but you can plug him in anywhere. He had a full season back in 2016 where he was actually good at baseball. He is back to being a utility guy. 

Point is some of these prospects that aren't so flashy may just end up playing longer than their peers with more recognition. Of all the players drafted in the third round of 2003, only Sean and Andrew Miller are still playing. Every other player flamed out years ago. 

Jeff Mathis afreez6

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

To be fair, Sean-Rod hit a ton in the minors and was more versatile than our golden boy Brandon Wood. 

Edited by Second Base

19 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Man.  Some of you guys seem pretty down on Adams.  It’s gonna sucks fuc*king massively if that guy flames out completely. 

Since May 10th, Adams is slashing .303/.333/.500/.833 with a reasonable .347 BAbip. 
In that time, four doubles, three HRs, 2 BB, 14 K in 16 G/69 PA. Pretty encouraging for one of the youngest players in the Midwest League.

Also, Simmons made 28 errors in one of his seasons in the lower-levels. Fields are a mess and conditions vary greatly, your teammates aren't always the best, and you're still really young and aggressive...I wouldn't read too much into errors or fielding percentages, especially for teenagers and especially in the lower-leagues.

Edited by totdprods

32 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Man.  Some of you guys seem pretty down on Adams.  It’s gonna sucks fuc*king massively if that guy flames out completely. 

I think people that are down on Adams maybe aren't seeing the big picture.  It's the same with people hating on Maitan.  There is just really no DEFINITIVE word you can get on a player in A Ball, unless it's an absolutely dominant or horrible performance for a prolonged period of time.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan are both one of the youngest players in the league, and for their first 6 weeks of A Ball, they haven't been amazing the way Adell was. 

Now if these guys are 21 and still haven't figured out high A ball, then it's time to start panicking given their pedigree.  

Just be patient.